HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Thank you Greg and Albert :) .

In case you thought I hadn't been doing much lately (yeah, a bit of "life" did get in the way :D ) I've cut all the frame pieces. Who'd have thought there were THIS many just for a little cross-section :huh::D :

Frame Pieces.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Speaking of spacing, I've followed The Framing Disposition plan I got from the NMM. The spacings aren't even on the plan, some are 2 1/4" scale inches different to others, making them LOOK wrong even though they are correct.

That's going to be interesting when people see it. They'll be wondering if it would be rude to mention that the spacing is off  :).

I'm looking forward to seeing this build. A cross-section is my next project (if I can ever get my cutter finished!).

Richard. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Thanks John and Richard.

That's going to be interesting when people see it. They'll be wondering if it would be rude to mention that the spacing is off

I'm going to include a Disclaimer next to the model :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looks like you're having fun. Danny!

John

G'day John, your definition of fun and mine are different. Lol.

Well, Danny, I'm assuming that's fun for you as well. So keep on having fun mate.

Havagoodone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I'm getting there - 10 frames glued together, 7 left to go. To hold each frame in position I use double-sided tape to stick it to the template, and then hair clips to keep the joint tight until it dries. Like I did with the full model, I'm using scarph joints in the port side and chocks in the open starboard side :

Frames Glued 005.jpg

Frames Glued 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Lovely looking frames Danny.  It will be a shame to cover them up.

David B

Edited by dgbot

G'day Danny

It's so good mate, as we say in Oz, "It's just like a bought one!"

Like your idea to make the ribs so need!

Haveagreatone mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Thank you John, Ben, David and Greg.

All the frames have been assembled, now I can start fitting them to the keel.

I started by gluing the three Deadflat frames together, using spacers and Fillers of the appropriate thickness :

Deadflats 002.jpg

Deadflats 003.jpg

Then I set the assembly up on the board, using the acrylic square I built for Vulture's frames. A little bit of finessing on the slots for the keel was needed to get a good tight fit. The board and square, and also the two temporary supports, ensure that each frame goes up correctly :

Deadflats 004.jpg

Deadflats 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny

I've got a dumb question for you. What's the difference between the dead flat frames vs the other? Aren't they all the same except slightly different shape?

Looks good to me what you have done anyway!

Havagooday mate

Greg

I like that squaring jig you tooled up Danny. Handy little tool!  I can think of a bunch of uses for it. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

What's the difference between the dead flat frames vs the other?

The Deadflat frames are those in the centre of the ship. All the others are of a diminishing size in one area or another going either forward or aft.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Told you it was a BUMB question!

Cheers

Greg

Dan,

That looks really good!

I am not sure how to ask this question but here goes.

I can see how your jig keeps you square to the keel (looking from a plan view) as well as plumb (looking from a port/starboard elevation) but what about keeping the tops of the frames the same height as in looking from a bow on view? Am I making sense?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks for the comments Greg, Sam and Russell :) .

but what about keeping the tops of the frames the same height as in looking from a bow on view?

The height is set when I cut the frames using the templates. I've allowed an extra 2mm just in case. I'll trim them to the correct height when they are all fitted.

How come my frames don't look like that? :huh:

Maybe because you're building a different ship Russell? :D

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Dan, I dont think I put my question correctly, what keeps them from rolling (pitching?) side to side? I dont see what keeps the entire assembly from tilting to one side or the other. D@mn, I know what I want to ask just dont know how to ask it!!  :rolleyes::huh::angry:

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I dont see what keeps the entire assembly from tilting to one side or the other.

The keel is screwed to the baseboard from underneath using the mounting nuts I previously fitted to the keel. It's rigid enough to stop less than a very hard push to either side. The clamps on top of the acrylic square keep things in position until each frame dries. I also make pencil marks on the tape stuck to the square to check that nothing has moved.

Initial setup looks a bit like this. The red arrows point to the lines I've drawn for the extreme width of each frame :

Deadflats 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

• 1 month later...

Ho Ho Ho and a Merry Christmas to Dan Vadas.  One of the nicest gifts the MSW community received this past year was your build log of the HMS Vulture, a true tour de force on plank-on-frame construction.  As someone with lesser skills I enjoyed it immensely and learned a lot.  Thank you.  Have a super holiday season and a fantastic 2016.  I look forward to more wonderful posts from you this year.

Tom

Belated thanks for the Xmas wishes Tom - I've been away visiting my family over the holiday and have just returned home now :) .

It seems like an age since I last updated my log (it's been over a month, but a lot of work had been done since then). My apologies for the slackness :D .

All the frames have been cut and assembled :

Frames Glued 003.jpg

The frames have all been glued to the keel, and the Filler Pieces have been also fitted. Fairing the inside is shown here - first by using a drum sander on the Dremel to take off any large high areas. The rest was faired using a rounded cork sanding block :

Frames Glued 004.jpg

Frames Glued 004a.jpg

As I hadn't used the mounting screws to hold the Rising Wood and the Keel together, they started to separate as I started gluing frames on, so I screwed the two pieces together through some of the frames for extra strength. The screws will be covered by the Keelson :

Frames Glued 002.jpg

Frames Glued 002a.jpg

Next, the Ports were trimmed out and a long sanding stick was used to level the tops of the frames in readiness for the lower sills :

Frames Glued 006.jpg

The port sills and Sweep Port sills after fitting :

Frames Glued 007.jpg

And after Fairing :

Frames Glued 008.jpg

The hull was then removed from the building board and placed on a piece of foam for the final external fairing :

Frames Glued 009.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Heck Danny, after all the work you've done over the last months, I think a little "slackness", or even an extended vacation should be allowed.  :rolleyes: Happy Holidays to you and yours! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you George :) .

There's more .... I've cut out the recesses for the Chain Pumps and Elm Tree Pumps :

Frames Glued 011.jpg

Frames Glued 012.jpg

Frames Glued 013.jpg

And also fitted the Keelson :

Keelson 001.jpg

Keelson 002.jpg

Lastly, I've made the Chain Pump Inlets using the pieces from the PE set supplied by Admiralty Models. These are probably the last of these available as the set has been discontinued and were graciously supplied by Greg Herbert from his own left-over supply. 0.5mm brass wire was used as the "bolts", and the assemblies blackened :

Pump Inlets 001.jpg

Pump Inlets 002.jpg

Pump Inlets 003.jpg

Pump Inlets.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sweet work Danny. Those inlets fit the recesses perfectly. Are you going to leave part of the pump well unplanked so people can see details like these?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks John and Greg.

Are you going to leave part of the pump well unplanked so people can see details like these?

Most certainly Greg :) .

Cheers, Danny