HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Outstanding Danny!  You're a true craftsman!  :)

George took the word or my thoughts from my mouth and brain. Take your pick!

Well Danny, amazing work AGAIN mate.

Happymodelling

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thank you George, Greg and Robin.

I do have a qwere about the fittind of the Stunchions and the trenails ,ok in simplelst form a peg at each end pop one in and then what / easy in a model but how do in real life

Robin, I used the treenails for ease of fitting. In reality they were mortised the same as the tops of the stanchions, but as this isn't visible I went the easier way :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

My construction of the Well and Shot Locker differed somewhat from my previous attempt in the full model of Vulture.

This time I used the previously made lower deck beams as a reference, which resulted in a better fit all round.

First I temporarily fitted the corner posts, spot-gluing the beams above them into position on the deck clamps (no glue between posts and beams or floor). Next I cut and fitted the lower strakes of planking to stabilise the bottom ends of the posts, and also tempoarily glued braces under the beams to get the top ends square :

Well 001.jpg

Well 002.jpg

Then I removed the structure from the hull and completed the planking, removing the upper braces as they got in the way. The lids and hinges were added, and I gave the well a coat of Minwax Wipe-on Poly. Then I permanently mounted the assembly :

Well 003.jpg

Well 004.jpg

Well 006.jpg

I left a large cut-out in the aft end of the well to show the pump tubes and mast step :

Well 007.jpg

Well 008.jpg

Well 009.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Well worth the effort Danny, a beautiful piece of joinery that compliments the build very nicely!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Smart showing the cutaway to the well to show the step. 

Maury

Love the cutaway view.  When you look at the pictures it is difficult to realize just how small a structure the well really is.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

My construction of the Well and Shot Locker differed somewhat from my previous attempt in the full model of Vulture.

This time I used the previously made lower deck beams as a reference, which resulted in a better fit all round.

First I temporarily fitted the corner posts, spot-gluing the beams above them into position on the deck clamps (no glue between posts and beams or floor). Next I cut and fitted the lower strakes of planking to stabilise the bottom ends of the posts, and also tempoarily glued braces under the beams to get the top ends square :

attachicon.gifWell 001.jpg

attachicon.gifWell 002.jpg

Then I removed the structure from the hull and completed the planking, removing the upper braces as they got in the way. The lids and hinges were added, and I gave the well a coat of Minwax Wipe-on Poly. Then I permanently mounted the assembly :

attachicon.gifWell 003.jpg

attachicon.gifWell 004.jpg

attachicon.gifWell 006.jpg

I left a large cut-out in the aft end of the well to show the pump tubes and mast step :

attachicon.gifWell 007.jpg

attachicon.gifWell 008.jpg

attachicon.gifWell 009.jpg

very nice detail Danny,

that cutaway in the rear of the lower pumpwell housing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Danny

I've got a question, maybe to you it's a dumb one. :(  You mentioned that the mask step isn't bolted to the keel,  but wedges are use to move the mast fore and aft. Is it only on the main mask or all of them? Also is this practice used on all English ships, no matter what type  etc?

As I've said before, your pictorial log teachers us, or me a hell of a lot!  :dancetl6:

Your workmanship is outstanding. 

Havagooday mate and happyozzieday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Beautiful work on the mast step and small but important details.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks all for the comments and Likes :) .

I've got a question, maybe to you it's a dumb one. :(  You mentioned that the mask step isn't bolted to the keel,  but wedges are use to move the mast fore and aft. Is it only on the main mask or all of them? Also is this practice used on all English ships, no matter what type  etc?

First off, it's not a dumb question at all - there's no such thing on this site :) .

In answer, Vulture's Main Mast Step is the only one moveable as the positions of the Fore and Mizzen Mast make them impossible to adjust. However many other ships had one or both of them moveable depending on the shape of the frame timbers surrounding them. Some ships had the Mizzen Step on another deck altogether.

Cheers, Danny

A pic I forgot to add in the last update - the Limber Boards, which cover the limber channels to stop them from getting blocked with ballast etc :

Limbers.jpg

Now the well is finished it's time to do the lower deck framing, starting with the Hanging Knees. There are only 6 to make for each deck. These need to be individually shaped to fit the internal timbers, even in this relatively straight section of the hull :

Knees 002.jpg

Knees 003.jpg

The Lodging Knees are of varying shapes and sizes. This is the only one that would be the same as in the rest of the ship :

Knees 004.jpg

Knees 005.jpg

At the Deadflat, which is one frame aft of the forward part of this model, is a pair of Opposed Lodging Knees. The hanging knees in the forward part of the ship are forward of the beams, whilst those in the after part of the ship are behind them. Therefore the need for a transition from fore to aft with the lodging knees. Because of the area I'm using for the cross-section I can only show half of the forward (upper) knee :

Opposed Knees 002.jpg

Next come the Carlings, the longitudinal framing timbers. These are of various widths, depending on their functions. The "standard" ones are 6" wide, those alongside the hatches are 7 1/2". I've notched all the carlings for the Ledges, some of which are already fitted :

Carlings 001.jpg

Carlings 002.jpg

Continued in next post .....

Cheers, Danny

..... continued.

An interesting little piece of "iron" work is a pair of Iron Knees, used to brace the Beam Arms. The pics should be self-explanatory :

Iron Knees.jpg

Iron Knees 001.jpg

Iron Knees 003.jpg

Iron Knees 004.jpg

Iron Knees 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great attention to detail Danny - are you setting yourself any challenges with this minor build?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Danny,

Great work.  It took me a year to get this far on my Echo Section, and it's not as tidy as yours!

Maury

After the full model, you should be able to do the deck framing in your sleep, Dan! Looking good.

Great work, Danny.

I agree with them, but it's up to your usual extremely high standard that a master shipwright could achieve. Way beyond me or many others, if I may be so bold.

Havagooday mate

Greg

HI Danny, I followed your Vulture build, although I missed the actual completion and had to go back and get caught up. She turned out beautiful!

I will now follow your cross section.  Your workmanship is outstanding, and I appreciate the way you show "how you did something", not just what you did.

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Thank you Druxey, George, Pat, Albert, Maury, Greg and Wes (welcome back) :) .

are you setting yourself any challenges with this minor build?

Pat, I'm taking far more time and effort in getting every small piece spot-on, as it's a lot more visible than in the full model. I'm also adding a bit more detail.

I've made up one of the Chain Pump Sprockets - the other one will be covered by the Cistern Hood and therefore invisible. The bars are silver-soldered into the PE wheels :

Pump Chains 001.jpg

Pump Chains 002.jpg

I've also made up three lengths of the Chain, again using pieces from the PE set. The longer one will fit over the sprocket at the top, and the two shorter lengths fit into two cut-outs I've made into the lower ends of the pump tubes :

Pump Chains 003.jpg

Pump Chains 005.jpg

Pump Chains 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny 

I've got another question, I'm not calling it dumb this time. Lol. The pump tubes has the chain going through it. Did you open the end of the tube only to show us the chain, or is it the way it should be?

Again  great craftsmanship in every details. 

Havagoodone and a "colddy" for me.

Greg  :dancetl6:

Thanks Greg and John.

Did you open the end of the tube only to show us the chain, or is it the way it should be?

They're open to show the chain Greg. See pics below.

I'm half wondering whether I should paint the cuts red to show that they are indeed a cut-away (and the same with the cut-outs in the aft end of the well, also any future cut-aways). Thoughts anybody?

I've temporarily fitted the four chain pump tubes to make sure I have all the angles etc correct. They fit quite a bit better than the full model's tubes :D . :

Tubes 001.jpg

Tubes 002.jpg

The outer tubes needed a small cutout in the mast partner to get the distance between the tops correct. I didn't do this on the full model and had a few issues later on. TFFM doesn't specify this :

Tubes 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks  Danny. 

Just maybe, do a more rough cut so it will be obvious to other people.  Your neatness is somtimes too neat, if you know what I  mean.?

Greg 

The red paint on the cutaway makes it clear that it is, in fact, a cutaway. I think your idea of doing this a good one, Dan.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Sweet work Danny! I note that my cross-sections seem to be somewhat better than the full version.Perhaps you've upped your game similarly as a result of completing your fully framed model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Very good Dan nice touch , paint them No I feel as an unpainted model painting them would confuse best left as is , robin

The red paint on the cutaway makes it clear that it is, in fact, a cutaway. I think your idea of doing this a good one, Dan.

I like both suggestions  :rolleyes:.

However, maybe the red would be too much (although it is a standard way of indicating a cutaway). Perhaps a light brown, enough to highlight the edge but not too distracting.

Whatever you do this is a wonderful example of a cross-section.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights