HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Very nice work Dan, that is 'first class' work mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Das,

as allways fantastic workmanship and a very interesting view into the ship.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Red is the common way.  But if you use a different color, I think that would work also.  It just needs some way of indicating to the viewer that is a cutaway.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Red is the common way.  But if you use a different color, I think that would work also.  It just needs some way of indicating to the viewer that is a cutaway.

I think, Mark is trying to say, For all the dummies like me! Lol

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Kudos, Dan !!

Showing the internal workings of the chain-pumps is just a stunning detail !! I can honestly say that I have never seen this before.

Personally, I am in favour of your idea to paint the outside of this (and similar) detail cut-aways. Once you have three, four or more of these detail sections, then it will quickly become apparent that this is the purpose of the red outlining.

(Mayhaps, not an iridescent PhotoShop cherry red, but more of a flat matt, carronade-base, dull red)

Just my two cents worth ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks Greg and John.

They're open to show the chain Greg. See pics below.

I'm half wondering whether I should paint the cuts red to show that they are indeed a cut-away (and the same with the cut-outs in the aft end of the well, also any future cut-aways). Thoughts anybody?

I've temporarily fitted the four chain pump tubes to make sure I have all the angles etc correct. They fit quite a bit better than the full model's tubes :D . :

attachicon.gifTubes 001.jpg

attachicon.gifTubes 002.jpg

The outer tubes needed a small cutout in the mast partner to get the distance between the tops correct. I didn't do this on the full model and had a few issues later on. TFFM doesn't specify this :

attachicon.gifTubes 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Danny,

the cutaway on the pump tubes showing the p-chains is technical eyecandy  ;) , a good idea I like very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

More lovely work Danny! Can't help with paint/no paint decision - I'm torn both ways myself.

Thanks for all the kind comments, and the input about the painted cutaways.

I've decided to go ahead and paint the cutaways red :

Cutout Paint 001.jpg

The pump tubes are tapered at their tops, and have a re-inforcing band around the extremity. I turned these from brass tube. I didn't bother adding this detail to the unseen Starboard tubes :

Tube Bands.jpg

I've also made and fitted the Hatch Coamings for this deck. These are 6" wide by 5" deep. The Coamings (the fore-aft pieces which are also named this way) have a 3" by 2 1/2" rebate for the Gratings. The Head Ledges (the athwartships pieces) are rounded slightly to match the round-up of the deck. Each corner is rebated into it's partner and rounded to the level of the top of the planking :

Coamings 001.jpg

Coamings 002.jpg

Note that I have a temporary "beam" beneath the outer ends of the Carlings for stability. This will be removed when I have finished planking this deck.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Beautiful joinery and the paint on the cutout makes it pop.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Danny 

I must agreewith Mark, the red does make it pop and it's so obvious it's a cutaway! 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

The red outline makes it pop. And your joinery is superb, as always.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Danny, the build is beautiful and the cutaways are a great touch, especially the chains in the log pumps.  Did you have an extra set of the photoetch for the chains and sprockets?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I managed to scrap together enough spare pieces for Dan to make them, Toni. We've had some demand  so I may carry them again on our Admiralty Models website.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Yes please Greg, I would certainly buy a set

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

This is a beautiful piece of work, Dan. I've only just come on board and I'm very impressed by the precision of the craftsmanship and the detail. And the cutaways are a lovely touch.

Steven

This is a beautiful piece of work, Dan. I've only just come on board and I'm very impressed by the precision of the craftsmanship and the detail. And the cutaways are a lovely touch.

Steven

You haven't seen anything yet! Your eyes will be in a treat, so stay in touch!

Thanks all for the kind words, and thanks again Greg for the extra PE pieces - they made work a fair bit easier :) .

Sorry about the length of time between updates, but I had computer issues (AGAIN - gotta get a new one :( ) .

It's time to make the Main Mast, or a stump thereof anyway. I tapered and rounded it in similar fashion to the masts and yards on the full model - first marking the tapers, then sanding them to shape on the disc sander, remarking the edges of the octagons using the 7-10-7 method, cutting the octagons with a sharp chisel while supporting the mast in my jig, then finally rounding them with various grits of sandpaper on a cork block :

Mast 002.jpg

Mast 003.jpg

Mast 005.jpg

Next I cut the step in for the heel :

Mast 006.jpg

I turned the mast Wedges in a single piece. There is one for each deck :

Mast 007.jpg

Some views of the mast and wedges temporarily fitted to ensure correct alignment :

Mast 008.jpg

Mast 009.jpg

Mast 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

G'day Danny

Again a marvellous piece of workmanship! I think I understand how/what works, but I would like some clarification. I know that the mask pivot on the keel, as per your previous enters. This is where Im assuming: does the mask move aft/forward on the internal desks and on the main deck is where the mask is "anchored" as a fulcrum?

The below photo is from the internal deck and there's a slide for/aft?

thanks mate and again it's a marvellous pictorial that you have done.

Havagooday

Greg

post-16911-0-80034200-1456383257_thumb.jpg

Greg, you've pretty well nailed it - the wedges around the mast on the lower deck as well as those at the heel of the mast are used for the adjustment of the rake of the mast fore-aft, the partners in the Upper Deck are fixed and the lower part of the mast can pivot around them. Apart from some very slight adjustment athwartships to get the mast vertical in that plane no further adjustment would be necessary. The mast could be raked fore-aft to make the most of the sailing qualities of each individual ship in certain circumstances.

Note that I've done a bit of "fudging" on the wedges. These shouldn't have a step in the middle - I've done that for ease of fitting, as the step covers the hole in the mast partner for aesthetic reasons.

Cheers, Danny

I've finished the lower deck planking, and also the two strakes of Spirketting below the Upper Deck Clamp. Some cleaning up and a coat of finish still need to be done, but I'm leaving that until after the knees are fitted :

Lower Deck Planking 002.jpg

Lower Deck Spirketting 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

You may have noticed in the previous post that I've also done the Upper Well. This is a fairly tricky assembly to get right.

First I temporarily fitted the two upper deck beams above the well, then I cut and rebated the five well stanchions. When these were all adjusted for a good fit I cut the rebates for the louvres at a 30 degree angle on the table saw :

Upper Well 001.jpg

After cutting the louvres (which are 0.8mm thick by 3.18mm wide) I glued one at the top and one at the bottom between two stanchions in situ :

Upper Well 002.jpg

Then I glued in the rest of the louvres off the ship - they all fitted very well. Some pics of all the louvres fitted and the well in position (not glued in yet) :

Upper Well 005.jpg

Upper Well 006.jpg

There is an access door in the forward Starboard corner. I glued several thin strips to a flat piece of stock for the framing, and added a handle and hinges from the PE set :

Upper Well 003.jpg

The door fitted :

Upper Well 008.jpg

Upper Well 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Dan,

Great work. I struggle to keep up with your updates. Your hands must be a blur when you are modelling! :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error.