HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

G'day Danny

Thanks for your answer! Beautiful and your master craftmanships is showing thought (like always).

I've got another question if you don't mind: I presume that the "anchor stock planking" (picture below) is used to help to "hold" the ship together and to add extra rigidity to the ship. Am I right or wrong?

thanks mate

Greg

post-16911-0-37197200-1456452233.jpg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Lovely work, Danny. It's a pleasure to look at and follow. I'll be happy if I can do half as well when it comes to detail.

Steven

Dan,

as allways, very clean and crisp work. I like your idea with the cut outs and think that I will copy this, if I build a section.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Excellent joinery Dan- looking very tight!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I presume that the "anchor stock planking" (picture below) is used to help to "hold" the ship together and to add extra rigidity to the ship. Am I right or wrong?

Something like that Greg :) . It's used where the strains on the planking are greatest, such as the Spirketting and Deck Planking around the Gunports, and the Wales.

Thanks to all the others for their comments and Likes :) .

I started the Upper Deck framing the same way as the lower deck by temporarily installing the three Beams. Next I made the Upper Deck Main Mast Partners.

You may remember from the full model that these differ significantly from some of the earlier Swan Class ships in that they are angled :

Upper Deck Partners 003.jpg

Upper Deck Partners 004.jpg

I've also made and (once again temporarily) fitted the Lodging Knees and most of the Carlings, some of which can be seen below marked out for the Ledges. All these pieces will be removed later to cut the various mortices :

Upper Deck Beams 001.jpg

Upper Deck Beams 002.jpg

Upper Deck Beams 003.jpg

Last thing for now I've made up the Main Topsail Sheet Bitt Pins :

Bitt Pins 001.jpg

Bitt Pins 002.jpg

Bitt Pins 003.jpg

Bitt Pins 004.jpg

This will be the last I can do on my model for a little while as I'm ONCE AGAIN (6th time in 7 years) moving house, having sold my caravan where I've been living for the past couple of years (I just got word that the money has been deposited into my account :) ) and I'll be moving back into my own house. Ironically, this is where I first built my workshop :D .

See you all in a couple of weeks when I get settled in again.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Congratulations Danny! I know what it's like to not sleep in an actual bed for long periods. Hope all goes smoothly!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

All the best with the move. 

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Swee-eet work Danny, looking very good.

Great to hear you will be back in your 'office' again mate; must have been a real pain with all that moving.  Impressed that you have been able to achieve what you have given the circumstances. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Danny

Thanks again for your indepth answer, much appreciated.

What can I say about your latest log, which hasn't been said before! Jist brilliant as always.

Thanks heaps mate and havagoodmove.again

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

I hope all goes well on this move with everything undamaged.  Moves are always traumatic no matter how many times you do them.  See you when you're back.  And congrats on selling the caravan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the wishes guys :) .

Wouldn't it have been easier to stay put ...???

That's what happens when "life" throws you a couple of curve-balls Carl :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've moved house and have my workshop up and running again (in a fashion, lots of unpacking still to do). Work has resumed on the cross-section, but updates will need to wait a few days as my computer didn't survive the move intact. Should get it back from the shop soon.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

G'day Dany

This quote of yours is so true.

Looking forward for your next update with open hands.

Havagooday mate

Greg

Glad to hear the went well (mostly) Danny. Looking forward to further updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the wishes on my latest (and hopefully FINAL move :D ) . As I said earlier my computer didn't survive intact, but after a couple of trips to the local Computer Guy I'm finally back on-line :) .

I've been doing a bit of work on the Cross-section in between all the usual unpacking, setting up a (sort of so far) workshop etc. Here's the update to where I am now - although I'm a bit further on that what I'm showing here.

I've decided to install the Hammock Battens on this model. I left them off the full model as they would have been all but invisible. First I cut some English Box into the profile sections. Then I sliced off the appropriate widths :

Hammock Battens 001.jpg

Hammock Battens 005.jpg

Hammock Battens 002.jpg

Next I rounded off the sections of batten, cut them to length and fitted them into the areas where they would have been :

Hammock Battens 003.jpg

Hammock Battens 004.jpg

Hammock Battens 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I've also made all the Gratings. Unlike the "store bought" gratings these are to the right scale. The athwartships pieces are a mere 3/4" thick (real size) which translates down to 0.38mm in 1:48 scale. All the pieces were cut and mortised using the Byrnes Table Saw and Micrometer Gauge :

Gratings 001.jpg

Gratings 002.jpg

Gratings 003.jpg

I made a Jig to aid in assembly :

Gratings 004.jpg

Gratings 005.jpg

Gratings 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sweet work on the details.. the battens and the grates.  Let's hope this is your last move, Danny.  Being a nomad is rough on building ships.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

great work on the gratings Danny !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice to see you back at the bench Danny. Great looking hammock battens and gratings too.