HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

G'day Danny

Again I'm speechless. The buttons are up to your usual standard. To high for us mortals.

The gratings are also uniquely you! Did you say they were 0.75 mm wide, if so what is the thickness of your saw blade? I would like to know where you got it, so I can get one for my proxxon saw table.

Thanks mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thank you John, Mark, Nils, Grant, George and Greg :) .

Did you say they were 0.75 mm wide, if so what is the thickness of your saw blade? I would like to know where you got it, so I can get one for my proxxon saw table.

Oops, my mistake Greg - they are actually half that thickness (0.38mm) by 1.4mm wide. I used a 2 1/2" x 0.020" (1.0mm) kerf blade that I bought from Jim Byrnes (Model Machines). I can cut even thinner stock than that, depending on the type of timber. English Box will cut down to almost zero thickness :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sweeeet work Dan, those gratings look great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat.

The Mainmast Partners on Vulture are rather unusual, being a wedge shape. There are four pieces to them :

Mast Partners 001.jpg

Mast Partners 002.jpg

The Pump tubes fitted :

Mast Partners 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Jaw-dropping work, Danny.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for the comments and Likes :) .

I've moved to the External Planking of the Port side, as one of the next steps on the inside is fitting the Port Liners which need to be done after the external planking goes on.

First up is the Wales, which are 4 1/2" thick (real size). The upper strake is parallel while the two lower strakes are in "Top and Butt" configuration. I've made them from Ebony.

The smudges on the wales are from water, as I'd just fitted them and cleaned off the excess glue. I've sanded a very slight bevel on the edges to make them stand out a bit better. The top and bottom strakes have a significant bevel where they meet up with the thinner strakes above and below :

Wales 001.jpg

Wales 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

That bevel is very effective Dan. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Danny.

Just catching up of your fabulous cross section.

Very Very nice. Your attention to detail is spot on.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

G'day Danny.

Again immaculate work. Your knowledge is so vast and I, for one thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I've got another question. I think it was in your last build. You mentioned that you left spaces in the internal planking for fresh air below decks. But where does the fresh air comes from?

Thanks again mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Pat, Anthony, Greg and Greg :) .

You mentioned that you left spaces in the internal planking for fresh air below decks. But where does the fresh air comes from?

Natural circulation as hotter air rises I guess Greg.

Hi all,

It seems like an age since I last updated the log, but I've been busy with the tedious (but fun) work of planking and treenailing the hull :

Hull Planking 001.jpg

Hull Planking 003.jpg

Hull Planking 004.jpg

I've clear coated the hull inside and out to the level of the wales. Further work on Drift Rails etc will be done before I go higher :

Hull Planking 002.jpg

Hull Planking 005.jpg

Hull Planking 006.jpg

I also fitted the afore-mentioned Port Liners :

Hull Planking 007.jpg

Port Liners 001.jpg

Port Liners 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I'll be coming back to this last posting of yours a few times yet!

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

G'day Danny

As usual work is excellent. I wish I had half your talent and I'll be a 'happy chappy'. Love your details in the tree nails.

Thanks Robin! There must be a vent or something above deck to allow for fresh air to circulate.

Havagooday all

Greg

Fantastic progress, Dan

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

beautiful work Danny,

planking, treenailing and surface treatment is top notch !

it must be a very delicate job to safely hit every frame twice for a planks rest (from sheer to keel) with those staggered treenails, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Dan,

There is a different pattern for the six hull strakes just below the whales that seems to be repeated on the deck. Can you tell me about more about the origins of that pattern.  I only see it rarely in the builds here or the models in museums.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Thank you all once again for the comments and Likes :) .

Richard, the planking "pattern" is called Top and Butt. It's used in areas of high stress such as the Wales and the 6 planks below them, and also on the Gun Deck where the guns are placed.

Cheers, Danny

Dan,

Do you know if this was generally used or limited to certain size ships, or ships built by certain nations, etc.?

I really like the way it looks, but would not want to use it incorrectly.

Thanks

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren