Have you considered the Sjoberg Smart Vise? Here's a link to HomeDepot's ad http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sjobergs-Smart-Vise-14-in-x-14-in-Portable-Work-Surface-SJO-33274/203979255?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools|&gclid=CNzouObb4sgCFYIYHwodumkPUQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's gone up in price since I first saw it - was $100 now about $140.  WoodCraft carried them when I saw them - there's a Woodcraft store in New Castle  DE that I usually hit on my way to MD to visit granddaughter. It's at

Shoppes of New Castle
166 South Dupont Highway, Suite H
New Castle, DE 19720

I have the Sjoberg Hobby Bench, comes in two sizes 3 ft and 5 ft - I have the small version (3 ft) - it's perfect for a small bench (den, apartment, etc). It's standard height like their full size benches, has side and tail vise. When I got mine it was under $250, but I have not seen mine advertized in about a year now - only the larger model 5 ft - but that would work also for a small area. It's relatively light weight (for moving around) but very sturdy for working.

You might want to check with WoodCraft and see if they still carry it. (It has gone up in price since I bought mine).

Years ago I made a vice stand from an old truck wheel and a section of 6" well pipe, with the 5" vice on it, it weighs about 120 pounds. Made another for Dad after he had seen mine but used a Disk blade, a lighter pipe and a 6" vice. Those vices have served us well for their intended use since 1978 and still do. They are not anything like you need, except for the concept, it is handy to be able to move them where needed or out of the way of other things. The bases are stable for most things, but for very heavy or large items, the work to be done and balance needs to be considered. Have some hobby vices that clamp on. With some pads, they work fine and don't damage what they are mounted on. They can quickly be set up or removed, digging them out is a bigger chore than mounting them.

jud

Edited by shiloh

There are a few vacumn base vises out there that work pretty well. After all we're not doing blacksmith work on em. Should suck down on a table without harm. Bill

I can't find one that gets really good reviews. Most of the smaller vices, portable or vacuum based, get mixed reviews. Some people love em and others have nothing but trouble. I'm trying to do this without spending too much.

I kow a few people who have the Panavise and they sing praises about it.  I used a clamp on similar to the one above and with padded jaws it worked well as a holder for delicate parts.  

David B

I WOULDN'T recommend the Dremel Multivice (pictured below) I purchased one a while ago and am very disappointed in it. Adjustment is sloppy and the jaws are 'wishy washy'

post-1505-0-87573000-1445977071_thumb.jpg

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have this Panavise - it's very stable with the wide base and weight.  With this Panavise, I've never had the need in this hobby to have a bench-mounted vise.

https://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=5

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I've got the Proxxon FMZ and recommend it.  I've also a small one from Lowe's but it's about to hit the trash as the Proxxon is so much better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just ordered the Proxxon FMZ as it looks just perfect for my neverending planking job. I really like the way you can just clamp it on the bench wherever you want. My existing 20 pounder is bolted on and I'm forever moving it. Love this site!

Ian

This is great advice for me and everyone else who is looking for a vise. Mike, which Panavise do you have? Mark, I have had several positive comments on the Proxxon FMZ also. Thank you

Sorry, forgot to add the link to my post.  I added it above, and here it is as well:

https://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=5

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I have the Proxxon FMZ vice as well, and I love it. I also have a Panavice with a suction base. I prefer the Proxxon.

Hi,

I think I need a bench vise but I work on a table not a bench which means that I can't drill holes to secure the vise. The reviews that I've read on bench vises in general have not been particularly positive. Are there any that you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Jazzchip

To come back to your original question, does the vise have to be 'big'?

Since you are working on a table, how about a small vise that can be 'portable' and can serve several functions?

post-246-0-86976700-1446074590_thumb.jpg

Here is another picture. A bit messy, but you get the idea.

post-246-0-21997100-1446075017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jazzchip, the little vise I show has been around for a long time and I don't even remember where and when I got it. 

I even made a few changes (aluminum jaws instead of the old worn-out plastic parts), but it works fine for me.

I suggest you browse to find a similar one. Obviously the base and tool holders can be anything you want.

Here is another picture of a part I am working on right now.

I can turn this anyway I want to get the right position.

post-246-0-97089100-1446086640.jpg

I should also mention that my working area(s) are not all that neat and there is a problem moving back and forth between my office and the garage (ask my admiral about tracking wood chips down the hallway).

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .