USS Constitution by xken - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76.8

Jon, not really a diorama, just figures for a sense of scale and something for the grandsons to enjoy when they get older.

After cleaning up the figures the next thing I decided to do was drill holes in the hands of the two crewmen to be able to feed the ropes through. I used a .024" dill bit and angled carefully into the hands. The one with his hand on his chest required drilling form both top and bottom to create a tunnel for the rope. Here is the test fit of the rope.

599c60e39a549_Figures04.thumb.jpg.fbdfd335340c30a0e6734066de4b8bee.jpg

Next came my first attempt at painting any kind of figures. I checked for the uniform colors of the period and here are the results; I used a gold marker stick to do the gold hat trim and buttons on the jacket. 

599c612922314_Figures05.thumb.jpg.923d3a2e6e7a5c732c086f53f5709c7e.jpg

599c616071a65_Figures06.thumb.jpg.e959fadb2a4f4355272232ea20f3f9a2.jpg

Here are the crew glued in place at their different activities.

599c617ba7e9f_Figures07.thumb.jpg.2a9f2a73aaa7828e899ff0f88f93320d.jpg 

599c6193d997b_Figures08.thumb.jpg.a6be4b1e4ce40a378a88135340889636.jpg

599c61b5bd1ae_Figures09.thumb.jpg.96580bdace6525e16c056de6ab661d1b.jpg

599c61d681b52_Figures10.thumb.jpg.d20c69100d2b3d204e2fe0f3000add36.jpg

This shows the overall bow section with the one man climbing the ratlines.

599c61ef0db28_Figures11.thumb.jpg.d280db0106a96ca0782d718e2e313ab6.jpg

Simultaneously, while waiting for paint to dry on the figures I made the various flags and pennant for the main mast. First I flipped the artwork in Photoshop and then printed a copy on T-shirt transfer paper for Staples. I then carefully cut out each flag unit and folded them down the center lines making sure that the artwork aligned front and rear. Each was then added to the edge of the white fabric and carefully with the iron set on "Cotton" ironed each flag in place both on the front and the rear. All were ironed in place making sure they were hot enough for the ink to transfer and then allowed to cool before removing the backing paper. I cut them out along the inside edge of the black outline which I added in the artwork to differentiate the flag white from fabric white. Each flag was glued in place using thickened CA along the contact edge and allowed to set. Flags were then moistened with water on both sides and carefully formed slightly. Here are the results.

599c620a982b4_Flag03.thumb.jpg.4446f0d71f8880debdde3758dee1b612.jpg

599c624635cd6_Flag04.thumb.jpg.ab7c06e4595dd75d3a2c9d58a4828cc1.jpg

599c625f0bd8d_Flag05.thumb.jpg.110d1dab53032107709f00d99563aa1e.jpg

599c6288d3fa9_Flag06.thumb.jpg.7e6c620f04838fa72aa871db2093e7ef.jpg

Next onto the last detail the cathead faces.    

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Joshua, from Ages of Sail one of this site's sponsors here is a link:  http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/figures/25mm-sailors.html

You may wish to explore their site for other items as well.

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

As I mentioned above (Aug 18, 2017 post), I used the same exact Armanti figures for my model. I got mine at Age of Sail.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Workflow got interrupted by restarting an old commission that was put on hold. Will be working back and forth on the projects now. Anyway after a couple attempts with materials at this small scale that did not work I reverted to an old standby of a 3/8" diameter black board chalk. This has limited application due to size but can have great results. Here is my feeble attempt using only an Xacto blade and the sharp point of dividers as carving tools with a small chisel paint brush to clean away scrapings. 

First was to flatten the back of the round stick for a steady hold, then carved the sides and top to the square size need and deep enough to allow cutting with a jeweler's saw later.

599f0a7ac0cf7_CatheadCarving01.thumb.jpg.3af0c9831caa27e110c510d08731eedc.jpg

Then using just the point as a carving/scraping tool very carefully carved the two faces the best I could with the only magnification I had. I then carefully sawed off the bottom as seen.

599f0a8c79fd9_CatheadCarving02.thumb.jpg.73ac8c23849886c21ec639ac58e2d8ec.jpg

Next since the chalk is very soft I hardened them by soaking liberally with Gold Foil spray paint with a brush on all sides until I thought I had very good penetration through the chalk. They were set aside and allowed to dry completely. I then sawed them down the back side to the thickness needed, sanded flat and then sprayed them again with the Gold Foil Krylon paint a good wet coat.

599f0aa9061f3_CatheadCarving03.thumb.jpg.331756ace0061a3e85ee35f1575bec71.jpg

Once completely dried I glued them to there respective places with the best one on the starboard side which will be the primary viewing side.

599f0ac30ca6b_CatheadCarving04.thumb.jpg.fcd96726ee99da3ddf0d3b2422ba5c4f.jpg

Here is an overall view showing the cathead in place.

599f10669eada_FinishedOverall02.thumb.jpg.28cccb65dbf714b1a2ffa80d7a664046.jpg

Now to take some good finished photos for the record.

Edited by xken

Ken

OK, now you are really showing off 8-). I would have never thought of using blackboard chalk as a carving material. Fantastic job. Too bad your viewers will be leaving their nose prints on the display case (you are making a display case, aren't you?) as they try to see the intricate detail of the carving. Your skills never cease to amaze me. Wow!

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Outstanding work, Ken. Your build-log holds a treasure trove of useful tips and techniques. I'm certain that I'll be re-visiting it many times.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you all for your kind words and following along this build and helping with my ongoing education on ship building. This will prepare me for the future build of the HMS Victory 1:90 scale by Mamoli which will include some kit bashing. My next build which I am starting to work on and doing CAD drawings for is the container ship Maresk Detroit which my son-in-law is the Captain. This is the first ship he has command of since being promoted to Captain. This will be a complete scratch build at 1:356 scale with an overall length of 32" long x 4" wide x 7.25" high. Size is dictated by future display location in their home. I will start a build log once I have something more interesting than just CAD drawings.

I am also working on a couple of commissions which I will disclose at the time allowed.

Jon, my son is building a display case and once we get the word that it is ready we will drive the model across country from Morro Bay to Southold, at the end of Long Island. Literally coast to coast. I am sure both nose and finger prints will be a constant with the grandsons as they grow. Not exactly sure yet where my son will have it displayed in the house.

Anyway, for now the ship has be shelved out of the way here to clear the deck for my next projects.

59a1a637aff3f_Shelved01.thumb.jpg.45383fd8ecc5c2af68b1db25d197911f.jpg

59a1a64d25d54_Shelved02.thumb.jpg.c2fd3c6be3506e1cb6f840554d2bf4d9.jpg

Again, thank you to all for your kind compliments and advice throughout this build. :cheers:

Ken

This is a beautiful model. Congratulations on a fine piece of work. Well done.

Russ

Fantastic, What a ship!!!  The Constitution is on my future build list for sure.

It has been an absolute privilege to follow this build.  Thank you for all you have contributed.  You bring value to this forum.  With all of the talk about MSW vs. other sites, its builds like this and members like you that settle the debate!!

Thank you again,

John   

-John

Member:  Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Beautiful work Ken.  Stunningly beautiful work.  And an educational build log.  Thanks for letting us follow along on this journey.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 8/18/2017 at 3:56 PM, xken said:

25 mm figures

Ken,

Will be into a Mamoli connie later down the road. where did you purchase the 25mm figures thanks

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

An extraordinary Constitution build, Ken! I'm certain you grandkids will cherish it (at least until they are teenagers).

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Congratulations Ken, and thanks again for providing this amazing tutorial log.... especially for those of us who will be using it as a resource in our efforts to build this great war ship.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

John, here is where I got the figures from; Ages of Sail one of this site's sponsors here is a link:  http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/figures/25mm-sailors.html

You may wish to explore their site for other items as well.

Ken

Ken,

Indeed superb work - thanks for all of your extra details within your log for this ship!!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa