USS Constitution by xken - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76.8

Ken, 

You have applied all your fabulous skills in building what is, and will likely be, considered as  the definitive Constitution model.  You have my sincere admiration and kudos for a wonderful accomplishment.  I especially want to add my thanks for all the techniques you have taught and shared.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greg, yes I did, I took a piece of .010" brass and filed a half round profile in it and then used it as a shaper to cut the molding. I made two types a single and a double. Since then MicroMark offers a molding cutter by Amati. Unfortunately, they have not updated their online catalog but it is listed in the most recent catalog.

I have since used these and they work great.

5adbbe2f41fcb_Cutters02.thumb.jpg.ec2330e1114f3d6143818a9e2d4007c8.jpg

5adbbe31e8fd5_Cutters01.thumb.jpg.cadba0224f02832ef7332b4ede0d8309.jpg

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

I bought those too, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.  Glad to hear that they work great!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 months later...

She is crated and packed in the car ready to leave in the morning. It will ride on a 1" layer of energy absorbing foam with 3" of clearance above the main mast. I had to tilt at about a 30 degree angle to clear the door opening and the roof has a bulge up that allowed space for the masts. The sides of the frame had to be short into order to clear and rotate back up to fit with the car side wall camber. Everything is snug and tight.

Now all we have to do is leave in the morning and drive to the end of Long Island, NY.

I removed the central hatch cover and tied down across at the rails, trapped fore and aft by the cradle nesting.

5b4fa159c8bd0_Crated02.thumb.jpg.6bfd8b21301eb76d14b55ab549a3ca14.jpg

Created a little pocket for the hatch cover with the pinnace. 

5b4fa16f665c6_Crated03.thumb.jpg.bafbdb3923b2ce9f18934d09c18cc15f.jpg

Here it is with the honey comb cardboard sheet between the frame structure and the gear.

5b4fa18a3c943_Crated04.thumb.jpg.1bee36acb6c4abd69d0bf378e5be02dd.jpg

Wish us luck on our delivery adventure!

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Travel safe Ken.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Good luck Ken.  Enjoy our beautiful country.  Best, John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thank you all for your kind wishes on safe travel. We just found out that our son will be arriving in Indianapolis the same evening we will so we are going to try and connect for breakfast the next morning. He is on a three day business trip and will leave Indianapolis that evening. We all will arrive at his house the same afternoon what luck and coincidence. 

Thanks again!

Ken

Wow I can’t imagine packing up a big model like that.  Nice job and good luck!

Are you showing it?  Or did you sell it?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Ken,

As you travel through Ohio, think about stopping at Keim's to stock up on some inventory. Be happy to meet you there.

I just packed up my Niagara, not as securely as your wonderful Constitution, and took it to the Ohio State Fair and entered it into the Miniature Fine Arts Competition. I had a two hour white knuckle drive worrying how she would travel.  I can't imagine a coast to coast trip.  Safe travels friend.

Arrived safe a sound in St. George, Utah. Very hot 110 degrees walking across the parking lot reminded me of the flight line in Vietnam; hot dry breeze. On to Denver tomorrow. Ship is traveling perfect so far.

Edited by xken

Ken

Ken:

Dry in Vietnam? 

Hot and humid - about 115% humidity all over SE Asia and then there is the monsoon season.  There were times I'd have killed for a dry breeze.

Glad the model is traveling well.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The only time I was dry in Nam was at altitude in my Phantom. Humidity was off the charts. 2inches an hour rainfall to boot.

Glad the Connie is traveling well, Ken.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Kurt, you are right for most of the time; but underneath a CH-46 patching bullet holes and other repairs laying on the steel marston mating having baked in the sun for hours that every now and then slight breeze would be hot and dry next to it. For some reason the bullet holes were always on the underside and never on the top, unless one went through the window and up. 

:)

Today a couple of museums in Denver, then on to Topeka, Kansas tomorrow assuming all goes well. Just learned last night that my best friend back in Ohio passed away suddenly. We were to visit and spend a day with him after New York.

Ken

Ken,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.

I seem to recall that many of bullets came through the bottom of our birds and out the top.  Two holes for the price of one round.   On the upside, holes in the belly drained the water and accumulated muck between the exterior fuselage and the floor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, what kind of birds were those?

Ken

CH-53's Ken. I think the ones through the bottom and then exiting the top were armor piercing and probably .51 cal.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think that was the real reason they took the doors off our Hueys. They said it was to make them lighter so they could get off the ground on hot days fully loaded, but I think it was to save the Government money in damaged doors with bullet holes! We had two types those that we covered with 100MPH tape and those that needed beer cans flattened out and Pop riveted over the holes. Anything bigger than that went to battalion. 

We liked flying with the Chinooks, figured that they made bigger targets!:o 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lighter and also faster to load and unload, Lou, for the Hueys.  Added benefit was that the door didn't impead the gunner.   At least that was what everyone was told....

We had the doors and rear ramp still in but took out the insulation sheets and all the "glass" in the cabin but not cockpit.  46's and 53's allow the troops to enter and exit via the ramp.  I can't answer for the 46's, but the 53 squadrons there laid down some 1/2" boiler plate on the floor and also hung under the gun in front of the gunner so we had some protection.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Bad news good news! Water pump seized up just before Somerset, PA :angry: able to make it to the Ford dealer in Somerset yesterday afternoon at 4pm. They needed to overnight the parts needed and we are now at the hotel waiting for the work to be completed hopefully by 11am and get back on the road. We are 6.5 hours from our son’s house. The good news is that it happened where we were able to limp in to a Ford dealer that was near by and immediately assessed the problem and ordered the parts and had an employee drop us off at the hotel for the night. :) Now just waiting to hear from them, better to wait at hotel rather than dealer lounge. Hotel has free WiFi. Keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well with the repair and we can still get to destination tonight.

On the above comments, I flew in ‘34’s and ‘46’s and all the crew had for protection was the 40 pound body armor that we wore. Pilots sat in armored seats along with bullet bouncers on. Weight was always an issue in I Corps especially in the mountain areas along the DMZ for the higher altitudes and thinner air. Both types of aircraft were striped bare of non essential gear to compensate for gun weight and armor. 34’s had m-60’s while the ‘46’s had .50 cals. I loved the .50’s and never had a jam, guns came from B-17’sand all ammo cans had 1944 or 1945 dates on them and were anti aircraft ammo :dancetl6: During the Tet battle for Hue city we would be called in to take out a snipers in buildings and the .50’s would go through anything used for building materials. This is when the exploding rounds really did the job. Semper Fi to those who fly!

Ken

i think most of will have our fingers crossed for a good finish.   It's great that the dealer was able to jump on this quickly and yeah... i've been there on road with issues so.. <keeping fingers crossed>

The first choppers I worked on -34's for about a year before they were replaced by -53's.   I loved the sound of those engines firing off

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Arrived at son’s house with no issues with the ship. It did not move at all. The roughest roads were coming off the George Washington bridge with some very interesting terrain changes on the roads. That stretch could be used as a tank obstacle course. We picked up the glass for the display case and it will be custom built by a friend of my son. They felt it best to have the ship first and then build. I suggested that they add a drawer to hold the Constitution book and build CD. 

I am really enjoying the swimming pool in the east coast heat and humidity.

Ken

From one having taken several road trips with model ships, I know the relief of a safe arrival very well Ken.

Congratulations.

Your son will enjoy your legacy long after you are gone.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, xken said:

The roughest roads were coming off the George Washington bridge with some very interesting terrain changes on the roads. That stretch could be used as a tank obstacle course.

Ken, glad to hear that you and the model made it safely across the Bronx's Ho Chi Min trail. :D It hasn't changed in 20 years.  I think some of those potholes could swallow a tank. ;)

Enjoy the Atlantic and Long Island Sound and your family stay - it's pretty hot and humid up here in "Upstate" ;) Catskills also. 

Edited by Jack12477

That's excellent news to hear that all have arrived safe and sound, Ken.   Enjoy your stay and the invisible air compared to what's out here currently.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for all your kind words! We are having a great time with the twin boys, they are bundles of non stop energy in every direction and extremely smart. They love being in the pool especially with the heat and humidity. We are really going to miss them. Alex enjoys getting mom’s smart phone and dialing FaceTime with us. He did this a couple of times when we were traveling here. Tyler on the other hand is an eating machine and has no problem downing his food at meal time. 

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Ken