USS Constitution by xken - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76.8

The display case is under construction, and coming along nicely. Here are a couple of in progress up dates. The drawer will hold the book and a CD of the build

06D44B20-7D6F-46E9-951C-A33CE90A49EA.thumb.jpeg.a53d3d8c4c23e30f8909bef6a1f9a5e9.jpeg

76A067E6-1292-453F-A648-BC4395BE2269.thumb.jpeg.6427625f305eacd29a609e90bf590435.jpeg

Just a few minor tweaks and then the stain will be applied.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Come to the Conference in October and he will sell it to you there and autograph it.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks for the plug Kurt and yes I will bring some and sign them for those who wish to purchase one. If not order through Amazon.

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The title is “Model Building with Brass” buy the second edition. If you come to the NRG conference I will be selling and signing them there.

Ken

45 minutes ago, xken said:

The title is “Model Building with Brass” buy the second edition. If you come to the NRG conference I will be selling and signing them there.

Very nice! See you there! Will you be taking cards/cash/checks?

Michael, Check or cash not setup for cards. See you there.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Final update the ship is in the case and the boys enjoy looking at it. Fingerprints on the glass are indications of wanting to touch. It has just taken awhile for the pictures to come given very busy work schedules. Enjoy!

1974817619_ShipandFamily.thumb.jpg.d56d0c1e21ffc46ea672fc6eefa9641e.jpg

349870241_Shipandboys.thumb.jpg.ee7fc069562c7193a0da8494e99ea057.jpg

Ken

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a general topic question. I've noticed that almost all planking on Constitution models and others of that era are left unfaired or little sanding. I've been to the ship and it's pretty fair considering the the method of construction. I know things vary in the modeling world but would it be better if the model matched the ship?  Are builders doing this intentional or not? By the way, your build is excellent. Some day when I'm in Morro Bay, maybe I could stop by to see your work?

• 8 months later...
On 1/30/2016 at 5:13 PM, xken said:

The stern needed some real carving and twisting to butt properly to the counter planks. While wet I first cut away the back side of the plank from just before the last bulkhead to the tip and thinned it down to 1/32". I then cut a taper from the thinned point to about 1/16" all this while still wet. I then carefully added it and pinned it in place at the bulkheads and very carefully bent and twisted it into place and then trimmed the end to match the counter. Once satisfied with the fit it was glued in place.

I know this question comes M A N Y  years after your post on January 30, 2016, but I have to ask..

How did you form the gallery bottom?  

I've been back and forth between pages 4 and 6 of your build log multiple times.   Until the photo of the planked gallery bottom here on page 5,  there's no mention of the method you used. 

I'm at the point in my build where I'm either going to plank down to the keel, and deal with the gallery bottom later, or do the gallery bottom first.  The method in the Hunt Practicum is not my first choice, in that I've tried to model that piece at least three times and failed miserably.  I'm thinking of tackling it in layers roughly the thickness of the planking you used to cover it.  Another thought is to cover the area with masking tape, to protect the planking around it, and use wood putty to form the bottom.  After the shape is satisfactory and cured, I'd remove the masking tape and glue the bottom in place.  (I'm leaning towards the layered method because I might actually kill two birds with one stone.  It should look planked when done (if done well)).

Any advice you could provide here would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Peter (aka Der Alte Rentner)

image.png.6df0df3399a5c510c512bd9495ae92c5.png

Peter, you also need to look at post 199. Ken had to rip out the quarter gallery due to it being mis positioned.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

51 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Peter, you also need to look at post 199. Ken had to rip out the quarter gallery due to it being mis positioned.

Jon

When I was saving the photo above, I noticed there WERE other XKen pictures in my files that did in fact show him constructing the lower galleries. 

It's maddening!  Where did I get these pictures from?   My naming convention identifies these as coming from XKen. Where are these hiding?  

No sense looking again, this appears to be the Hunt approach, over which the builder planks.  I will revisit post 199  and see what I may glean from that.  

X-Ken-Gallerybottom02.thumb.jpg.a0bc1eaabe0a4725f69613ba3749fda7.jpgX-Ken-Gallerybottom01.thumb.jpg.c26b0addef8848dd770195d8620f01c0.jpg

Any thoughts from you on a better way to approach the lower gallery?  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using 1/16" thick stock to build the gallery bottom one layer at a time.  Each layer should be easier to shape than carving a blob of basswood.  Either way, I realize now that, If I don't paint, I'll have to plank anyway.  

Thanks Jon

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
made corrections and added text.

The photos came from post 83. I basically followed the practicum for the basic skeleton of the quarter galleries, then added my own touches. Basically everything went smoothly until I attempted the windows as you will see when you read my log. 

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

21 hours ago, JSGerson said:

The photos came from post 83. I basically followed the practicum for the basic skeleton of the quarter galleries, then added my own touches. Basically everything went smoothly until I attempted the windows as you will see when you read my log. 

Jon,

I spent about an hour and a half today going over your build log and reading your commentary.  Focusing for the moment just on the galleries, methinks things didn't go quite as smoothly as you remember.  Given that I am your contemporary (hmmm, come to think of it, is everyone posting build logs here on Social Security?), and recently having reread the first half of my own build log, I fully understand how time has a way of softening the bumps and potholes on Memory Lane.  

Hunkering down at home in the aftermath of the blizzard here in the Midwest, today I'm spending the day researching this tiny aspect of the build.  My wife will be out of town for about a week, so I'll be in the shipyard more in the coming days and hope to have benefitted from the time invested today.

Looking at another aspect of your build back then, I marvel at the effort you put forth on those darned rivets!  4k plus brass hand punched divots applied with poly and a brush.  Yikes man, do you have patience!  Kudos for that.   Me personally?  I'll be skipping that level of detail.  I'll chime back in AFTER I finish those gallery bottoms. 

Best

Peter

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, gjdale said:

Peter,

You really should start your own build log for this. You can ask all the same questions, post all the same photos, and get all the same great advice from others, while at the same time not cluttering up someone else’s build log with your stuff. Please be respectful of the original log owner in this regard.

I thought I was posting this to my build log.  After I saw it ended up here, I copied it and posted to my own.   I'll delete the post above.

Sorry.  I still don't fully know my way around this website.