San Francisco II by kostas_gr - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - bashed

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished, need to finish the stand and the case  (and the small cover for the red switch box)

rear view with painted shields attached

5b48f404a1f6a_fin001.thumb.jpg.cfe4c1d46f70932f5d3269f808b2c547.jpg

I have to stop playing with switches (turn on/off leds) and hide switch box

5b48f42d20994_fin005.thumb.jpg.2194a0b0e271bfe565bcf4c8aa7c3c64.jpg

5b48f41099cb8_fin002.thumb.jpg.a62ef6e1eda58b88104022da98ce1c66.jpgrigging close details5b48f41ef06de_fin003.thumb.jpg.0b81d48b9f87df3ad3d6bac667229f6f.jpg

Current builds:

Hermione la Fayette - Artesnia latina 1:89

HMS Victory - Corel 1:98

Completed builds:

San Juan Nepomuceno - Artesnia latina 1:90

San Francisco II - Artesnia latina 1:90

Victory cross section - Corel 1:98

• 3 months later...

I wish I had done some searching and found this before starting mine a few weeks ago...this model is fantastic. Well done. I had tossed around the idea of doors and lights like you did, but this is only my second model and I didn't know how to pull it off. I also like the color scheme of this older version much better. The one I have has a lot of things painted bright red, including the interior of the long boat and the cannon bases. 

Edited by Warnerade

Thank you for your kind words. I am very happy because this year San Francisco won the gold, in 2018 IPMS contest in my country.

It was a milestone for me, and I hope my next project will be as good as this one.

1633013041_sanfrangold1.thumb.jpg.3bdea96749d509103234f46a6cafeeaf.jpg1580330036_sanfrangold2.thumb.jpg.827b56bfb240229ea5ac2ad2c603c7d1.jpg

Current builds:

Completed builds:

Would you mind telling me how you applied the tung oil? The kit I have is double planked with the outer planking .5mm but I believe it is the same type of wood as your primary planking, it is that same darker color and I love how the tung oil finishing turned out.

tung oil is thick, looks like syrup/honey  rather like oil.

at the first phase, I am applying a lot of it, quickly and letting it for 15 mins, in some cases you have to apply more, the goal is to keep model wet, dont let it dry because it will be hard to be removed.

After 15 mins or a bit more with a very soft clothe (microfiber clothe worked for me), you wipe out all the tung oil from your model, you have to be take it all out, until the wood have this perfect silk..ish touch. Remove it all, and let it rest for a couple of days or more.

At the second phase, you repeat the step, but you will find out that now the wood does not "drinks" the tung oil very fast, keep it wet once again (you will not have to apply that much this time), after 15 mins (and without letting it dry) you wipe it out with the soft clothe.

In my first build (san juan nepomuceno) I have used tung oil in every wooden part, but took me a lot of time to wipe it out from smaller parts. In my second build I have used it only for large parts (hull, decks, masts), for the rest part I have used baby Johnson oil, thicker than castor oil & easier than tung oil, with an average look/patina.

Current builds:

Completed builds:

Hi Kostas. Although we didn't meet each other in that contest, I've been there and I saw your model from close. It is exelent. :excl:

Congratulation for your prize. Keep on the good work.
Thanasis

Thank you very much Thanasis, too bad we didnt meet each other this year.

This contest had some excellent ships that with very high level of details.

Current builds:

Completed builds: