Gokstad Viking Ship by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - Dusek Ship Kits - 1:35 Scale

Hi Steven,

regarding your question about the three different steering oars the answer is in the following picture, here below attached under paragraph "h".

It seems that inside this ship three other small oak boats were found with several fragments that seem to be part of them . . 

You may find the whole pdf were I got all these info's here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B752g0VVxf2KOGNjOV9lelRiazQ/view?usp=sharing

post-1168-0-52009000-1472813475_thumb.jpg

That's really interesting, Jack. A pity the scale isn't shown on the drawings so we could get some idea of how big these things were. Pretty obviously, the drawings are at all kinds of different scales, as the tholes are enormous compared with the rest of the items. Nice carvings, though.

If the curved side of the steering oars is toward the bow, we can see by the sectional drawings that they are streamlined to give a smooth 'entry' and fairly blunt at the 'tail'. Further evidence that the Vikings had (as was already fairly obvious) a good practical knowledge of hydrodynamics.

Steven

Further infos about this ship . . . with some interesting news 

Most probably this will be my next model when I'll come back to Tuscany, always from Dusek Ship Kits: the Viking Knarr.

01 knar35-1_zpsxanypkws.jpg
y4mfEIKb0xdfokusz7GgQG4hXdz_OxRrmJ8NqrwD

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, September 20th, 2016

The finished model with the complete display case . . .

Now this model can be really considered a closed project.

It was a very interesting and valuable experience: the clinker planking, the viking culture and many other things.

Enjoy the attached images . . . bye, Jack. 

01 20160919_175003.jpg
y4mW8qYWD0YHb77rA53ud-mxBN2H1-bSbgjweQ6m

02 20160919_174931.jpg
y4mr_9o--N38Ph-PRFelUPL41JCAF5KNAHhVyZrU

03 20160919_174915.jpg
y4mXylZT_sfT_doqU6SqpBNMlYQR2W-vxXB7dQwr

04 20160919_180158.jpg
y4mRK5L8f3ceXyzT7PMJ6zHL1Ge2roCZ8SwYGX9r

05 20160919_174840.jpg
y4mxLYFSPH3h0j5hdB6gxOQVIT0wJX1XR5B7HOAg

06 20160919_174812.jpg
y4mRAkvtamYnqRKd3LeFEc_B7nIAqJP4ueWqZ7V7

07 20160919_174738.jpg
y4mPbbi_MJ1eIHVhJMf3eZSonXvxjVXbkJwGjcwJ

08 20160919_180251.jpg
y4mRWiHZ1iagEjPQTMBFaMNjfcZJjxQlwLIk0SNS

09 20160919_180237.jpg
y4mDfl-BaypTBsGb1jT0_NA8S1UN4UfGRit8lYy7

10 20160919_175012-EFFECTS.jpg
y4mu264N6dA-zWnEgRgp_XkmZAqYbj5mC9USE9UC

Edited by jack.aubrey

Beautifully done and displayed, Jack.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very nice looking model Jack,

also good idea with the equal spaced rail for positioning the oars in the display cabinet   ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your build is finish and you made a real beautiful model.

You and others might not know that we here in Denmark have a viking ship museum in Roskilde.

They have a website with lots of information about building real size copies of viking ships.

Take f ex a look at

http://webtv.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/?poditemid=35280&tagsid=121&soegeord=

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone
First I want to say that I appreciate you for your work. I am passionate about and I want to build model ship viking ship gokstad only plans do not find something free (no material possibilities helps me to buy one) so if I can help myself and someone I will be eternally grateful. I also like Drakkar viking ship.
Sincerely
Eugen

1 hour ago, Thebigone said:

Hello everyone
First I want to say that I appreciate you for your work. I am passionate about and I want to build model ship viking ship gokstad only plans do not find something free (no material possibilities helps me to buy one) so if I can help myself and someone I will be eternally grateful. I also like Drakkar viking ship.
Sincerely
Eugen

Hi, Eugen.

The "Dusek Skip Kits" kit of this model doesn't contain plans suitable for scratch building.

All the bulkheads and the planks are laser cut and are not reported on the plans.

May be you can try to see other kit manufacturers if complete plans are available.

Regards, Jack.

Outstanding build and presentation.

I have two Dusek kits.

The Le Cerf...I ordered the brass barrels for it.  This guy is a class act and a gentleman.

I am about to start the other kit.....a Cog.

You have shown a true piece of history can be built from his kits.

Looking forward to what you build next.

Cheers

Rick

• 4 months later...

Saturday, August 7, 2017

Today I finished restoring the images that disappeared thanks to Photobucket . .
Now all are (or rather the conditional should be) visible as before.
If you discover some problems, please let me know via private message.
Thank you. Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

• 2 years later...

Discovered this excellent build log the other day. Thanks Jack, excellent work and description of the build.

Too bad I didn’t discover it a few days earlier! I am building the Amati 1:50 Drakkar as my first ever model. Your post #26 would have saved me some trouble because I skewed one of the frames. It was fixed with a little saw work, but your method would prevented the problem in the first place.

If I ever do a build log I will include a link to yours at that step, so hopefully others may benefit. 

Nelson

Nelson, you should certainly do a build log. Just as you learnt from Jack's log, others may learn from yours. Even if you're already part way through your build, you could post "catch-up" photos up to the present and then continue from there. Apart from anything else, you may get valuable advice from others watching your build.

Thanks Steven. I'm not far along in the build, just finishing the frames and starting to think about the dreaded strakes and fairing! I'll try to cobble a build log together later this week, no doubt it would be good to have one. I'm moving slowly on it, especially as it's summer on our side of the world.

Thanks again for this informative log Jack.

- Nelson

Sounds like the ideal time to start a log. Planking, particularly of a clinker-built ship, is perhaps the most difficult procedure in ship modelling. Posting photos of your progress will mean that more experienced modellers will have the chance to see how you're going about it and offer assistance with the (inevitable) problems that arise in getting it right.

• The title was changed to Gokstad Viking Ship by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - Dusek Ship Kits - 1:35 Scale