Cape Cod Catboat by Marcus Botanicus – FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters – Scale ¾”=1’

The Catboat is completed and waiting to be shipped to Prince Edward Island.  Enjoyed building this kit. 

Next I will decide to either continue the Utrecht or build me a garden windmill.

Thank for all the constructive suggestions everyone gave me in building this kit and thanks for watching.

(Upon leaving the workshop, please put the chairs back and clean up after yourself)

Marc

Catboat Completed 01.JPG

Catboat Completed 15.JPG

Catboat Completed 14.JPG

Catboat Completed 13.JPG

Catboat Completed 12.JPG

Catboat Completed 11.JPG

Catboat Completed 10.JPG

Catboat Completed 09.JPG

Catboat Completed 08.JPG

Catboat Completed 07.JPG

Catboat Completed 06.JPG

Catboat Completed 05.JPG

Catboat Completed 04.JPG

Catboat Completed 02.JPG

Catboat Completed 03.JPG

Catboat Completed 16.JPG

Catboat Completed 17.JPG

Catboat Completed 18.JPG

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Great job Marc! Those rope coils hang nicely!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Beautifully done. Love the rigging details. Congratulations on a really nice model.

Russ

Very sharp looking boat Marcus you did a great job. Your sister will no doubt be a very pleased.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful Marcus.  You're sister will love it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

she's a sweetie!   congratz on a really great job.........such a pain on the paint work,  but you corrected them with ease!   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 years later...

This is From Ariel in Nahariya, Israel -- I just received the Bluejacket Catboat kit and I'm going over the instructions and parts very closely. I too am thinking of completing the interior, but will leave the centerboard box in place. I noticed that you added the 1/8" square Keel Strips prior to fixing the Frames (F1-F4) in place.  I was thinking that this is the way to go -- even though the instructions say to install the Keel strips after Frame installation. Also, when assembling Frame F2 (two halves) there is a "temporary" brace across the top of the Frame sub-assembly -- but nowhere in the instructions does it say when to remove the "temporary" brace -- did you remove it or leave it in place?

Your model is really looking good -- hopefully I will be able to emulate your modeling skills on this project.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I recently joined Model Ship World and have completed the hull of a Blue Jacket kit #105- Cape Cod Cat boat. I'm a little stuck on building the single and double blocks and rigging and how they are installed. Any pictures of completed Catboats would be very helpful(esp the rigging details) and much appreciated.

Cheers!

Steve

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Steve116 said:

Hi

I recently joined Model Ship World and have completed the hull of a Blue Jacket kit #105- Cape Cod Cat boat. I'm a little stuck on building the single and double blocks and rigging and how they are installed. Any pictures of completed Catboats would be very helpful(esp the rigging details) and much appreciated.

Cheers!

Steve

I plan on doing the Catboat. Pictures would help me also. Thanks. 

Ed

I was revisiting some of my old builts and I see there are questions. 

What I liked so much about Bluejacket Shipcrafters models is that the plans are well put together. On the other hand the instructions can be better. 

My sister has the model so I can't give you more pictures. I thought I had enough on this build. There are others that have built a Cape Cod catboat herre on this site so take a look at those boats and see if your questions can be answered. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 1 year later...

Hi Marcus, I hope you receive this message since it has been a while since you finished your boat.
I just finished the Cap Cod Catboat model and want to thank you for setting up this conversation. I was very frustrated with the directions that came with the kit and after searching the internet I found your thread.  I referred to your comments and pictures constantly, it was a sanity life saver.  I am pleased with the finished product; it is a good looking boat. I gave it as a Christmas present to a friend that lives on Cap Cod, he was thrilled.

Thank you again,

Cary J

• The title was changed to Cape Cod Catboat by Marcus Botanicus – FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters – Scale ¾”=1’