Endeavour 1934 by Julie Mo - Amati - Scale 1:35 - America's Cup UK J-Class Challenger

I told myself I wouldn't post a picture of the progress until I finished the hull planking.  I guess I was wrong.  It took much longer than I expected to even get to where I am now and now I am thinking, "Okay, it's not so bad." 

Endv_054.jpg

But to tell the truth, I am embarrassed it has taken me so long to do this.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Julie,

It isn't bad at all, it's just a pitty it took you sooooooooooooooooooooooo longggggggggggggggggg to take a picture. On the other hand, you must have a very steady hand to take a picture with such a high fstop ;):)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

hey howya goin Julie mate, its been a pleasure reading you build log lovely job on the ship. I"ll be following along with you.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 1 month later...

It's funny how I can get so focused on a project or two and become unable to see anything else.  The kitchen remodel has been foremost in my thoughts for months.  The next step is making all the doors and drawer fronts.  But that means I have to create a better garage shop setup than I presently have and it's hot and humid now so I putz around doing anything I can to avoid the heat and humidity. 

The one project that will keep me away from all that heat and humidity fell far back in my mind, again.  I'm not sure why I keep avoiding getting back to the model.  A lot of possible reasons have popped up in my head but none give me that "Ah HA!" moment. 

Anyway, yesterday I ignored whatever it is that keeps me away and mixed up a new batch of hide glue so I could get back to the hull planking.  The going seemed very slow.  Over about 3 hours time I laid only 10 planks.  That's about one plank every 18 minutes.  I tried to get back to the next plank in about 5 minutes (that's what it needs now due to some tight bends) but it ended averaging 18.  I felt like I was getting nowhere.  And it looked like it, too.

Endv_055.jpg 

This side seems to be going sooooooooo slowly, as far as progress in a day is concerned.  It's not fun anymore.  But I will keep at it.  If I don't keep my word, bug me mercilessly.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Good to see you back either way!   Ive been following for awhile (mostly quietly) and was just wondering the other day that I hadnt seen an update in a bit.   

"If I don't keep my word, bug me mercilessly. " That's easy, but will it motivate you ... You did, however, picked up where you left off, and make progress. A slow start is as much a start as a running one :) Keep it up

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Guest Riccardo1966

Hello Julie Mo, I have followed your build with much interest and you are are doing great work. It is good to see you back.

Regards Richard.

It is looking good, and someday you will appreciate all the time you put into her. Keep at it. You are doing great.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Thank you guys.  Knowing I invited public scorn, or at least a little kick in the behind, should I get "distracted" again, I put in some more time on the planking today.  Honestly, I do not remember the first side taking this long (breaks in between not included).  Anyway, I think today's score is 14.

Endv_056.jpg 

Julie

I feel like I'm getting back some of the methods I developed before the house remodel took over.  Some of the things I learned, I completely forgot.  Now I feel I'm getting back in the groove again.

Endv_057.jpg

I just might finish the hull planking yet.

Julie

Julie.

The tricky bit now is not to sand through the veneer. Better to use fine grit emery paper and take it very slowly with light pressure.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Julie.

The tricky bit now is not to sand through the veneer. Better to use fine grit emery paper and take it very slowly with light pressure.

I came close on the other side, Keith.  With the way I am planking this, I'm glad I went with veneer rather than the planks that came with the kit.  The veneer is almost twice the thickness of the kit planks and that's been a life saver. 

I've been rough sanding as I go along and there are places I'm sure I had to sand off more than half the thickness.  Lots of the clinker effect in my plank orientation.

Julie

Julie

Doubling the thickness of the veneer was probably a good call. I did the same on Altair. I didn't get any "clinker" on 2nd planking Endeavour, probably one of the few benefits of the very thin mahogany strips supplied with the kit. I think I was lucky in avoiding any sand through although I did take a lot of care. Finishing the hull is fairly quick compared to planking and hence provides the boost of a much higher reward for effort ratio. You are nearly through the worst of it!!!!

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

OMG, Keith, your words are so comforting.  :)  But I know whatever mental blocks I set in place are mine to take down.  We all live in a world only six inches wide, the space between our ears.

For anyone who has ever had a needle stuck in the tip of their finger, you know it doesn't want to go very far.  Lots of cartilage and other hard masses stand in the way.  That's what I'm seeing as I get to the bow.  There is so much stuff in there, the push pins need more than a push.  A hammer comes to mind...

Endv_058.jpg

I'd love to do the rubber band thing but I've found if the banding covers the plank, you can't see if the plank is tight to the existing plank.  I had to remove one plank from the other side because it drifted away when I wrapped it with banding. 

Maybe shrink wrap? 

Julie

One side is done!  WhooHooo!  I have little work on the bow of the other side left and that's in progress.

Question: Once the hull is sanded smooth, is it then time to apply a finish to it?  I'm probably going to go clear lacquer and paint a waterline stripe.  Should this be done before flipping the boat over to work topsides?

Julie

Julie

Will you be able to see the deck edge plank when viewed from the side. If you can see it then it would be  better for it to be in place before you lacquer the hull.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Julie

Will you be able to see the deck edge plank when viewed from the side. If you can see it then it would be  better for it to be in place before you lacquer the hull.

I'm not sure if I understand you right, Keith.  Are you talking about the pieces that sit flush, on top of the deck?

I haven't glued the deck on yet.  Once that's in place, I will have to see how the hull planking butts up to the deck.  I've been thinking about adding a strip around the hull, where the deck and hull meet.  My thoughts were to see how the planks the kit supplied would work with the mahogany keel, if it needed it.

Still have a few last planks at the bow to glue on (it's slow going with those tiny pieces).  After that's done, I'll work on the deck installation and see where I am and then decide what I think needs to be done.

Glad you asked the question, though.  I had to go back to the instructions to see if I could figure out what you were referring to.  Then I realized I haven't looked at them in months! :huh: 

Julie

Julie,

The sketch may help. 

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.762ed39a15f5d54c28fce87f2a0298a3.JPG

When to lacquer depends on what is happening at the deck edge. If it's like the sketch it's better to get thr deck planking done before finishing the hull.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thanks for drawing and posting the sketch, Keith.  But I don't think I will be able to do what you showed in the sketch. 

When I was planking the first side of the hull, some of the planks that extended above the deck snapped off below the deck line.  In order to avoid this happening again, I cut them flush with the top of the frame (I did not have the plywood decking in place).  I didn't catch the error until it was too late.  So I may have to glue a cap plank over the hull planking, butted up to the deck.  Newbie mistake...

Another problem I noticed yesterday, after I turned the hull over, was this:

Endv_059.jpg

Even when those planks are flush with the plywood deck, they will still extend past it.  The pre-cut parts that came with the kit will not cover that gap.  There is a similar situation on the bow but I already knew that and planned to mill some pieces that will look like they belonged.  Looks like I'll have to do the same at the stern.

Julie

In celebration of the completion of the deck planking, we threw a big party.  Attendees were Charlie Nicholson, Bill Camper, Tom Sopwith and many of the original crew.  It was quite a rowdy bunch!  And the Spirits were flowing. 

Charlie told me he liked the diagonal planking but said he didn't want to be in my shoes for the challenges that lay on the horizon.  I slid the bottle of Pussers down the bar toward him and he caught it without spilling a drop.  Then he poured a shot for the two of us and one for Bill, Tom and all the crew.  A raucous "Cheers!" emanated throughout the pub.

:cheers:

Then Bill and Charlie, with Tom in tow, pinned the first picture of the completed planking on the pub wall.

Endv_060.jpg

Those boys really know how to sail!

Julie

Next up is fixing up the newbie booboos I made.  When I was making up the laminated keel, I got ahead of myself and shaped it before the hull planking was done.  At the keel, the planking had nothing to butt up against.  So now I have to add some mahogany strips to the keel and then reshape it.  The red arrows show the first strip glued in place.

Endv_061.jpg

I'll have to keep building it up until there's enough to shape it smooth.  I have to do the same elsewhere.  The only part about this that is frustrating is trying to clamp the thin strips in place as I get closer to the bow.  All the clamps I have want to pop off.

Julie

Julie,

Awesome craftsmanship!!

I think your work is "Socond o None!!"

NZ won the latest Cup, as you may know,,,,::)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson