Knee of the head, Stem and Gripe

Hi fellow Shipwrights,

I am looking for documentation on how to build a new Knee of the head, Stem and Gripe from scratch for a future project, the Fair American. In looking at a lot of different build logs it seem like the idea is to create some kind of "puzzle" - excuse my expression - to rebuild these 3 sections.

Of course, I am sure there is a method or plans to do that. Are these plans standard per period? Ship type? Is there any reference book I should be looking into it?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

JP

post-12982-0-07666000-1448080961.jpg

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Methods on the "puzzle" varied from country to country, and sometimes shipyard to shipyard depending on what wood was available.  There's a Fair American in the scratch area along with two Rattlesnakes that might help.  In the kits, there's an Armed Virginia Sloop by DocBlake.

There's books for specific ships and classes, but I'm not sure which one would work for the Fair American.  Perhaps one of the other members might know for certain.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark !

I will take a look at their logs and see what I can decipher on the technique to follow.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher