UV light bonding

Has anyone try this type of bonding agent?  I was wondering if it would work for setting the masts in place.  It is a little pricey though.

http://www.bondicusa.com/collections/shop

post-11922-0-08794300-1448291981_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

• 10 months later...

I've used Bondic on a couple of projects--mostly repairs. It works very well. It can be built up in layers for larger areas. It is almost as fast curing as CA and about the same strength.

I think it would be ideal for some parts of ship modeling. It takes a bit of practice to use it properly and cleanly, but it is not at all difficult. As mentioned, it is a bit pricey; but would be useful on selected areas.

Walt

Patience, patience; slow and easy makes the model.

Finished projects: NY pilot boat Phantom;  lobster smack Emma C. Berry

Current build: English Pinnace

I've used UV glues for assembly of biomedical devices.  An advantage is that they don't cure quickly (if at all) until they are exposed to UV light, and this allows for a leisurely assembly process.  But a disadvantage is that >most< won't cure in any area of the workpiece where light can't penetrate.  I say >most< because some UV glues can also be cured by heat, and this means that initial surface bonding can be achieved with the UV light and then the piece is placed in an oven to complete the cure.  Another consideration is that it doesn't bond well to some materials, and so, as is always prudent, one should test on scrap material first.  Finally, remember that there is a big intense UV light high in the sky, and so if your puny little handheld UV light is insufficient to the do the job, then assemble your items on a tray, and then carry the tray to the window or outdoors.  You can also use a magnifying glass, judiciously. 

Oh, and one last point - be mindful of the potential danger of intense UV light.  All UV light wavelengths damage tissue, so use shielding whenever possible, particularly for your eyes.

Edited by Bob Blarney

I have used it. However, somehow the acrylic started to cure inside the tube (which is black plastic) and I had to throw it away - the shelf-life was less than impressive. This defeated from my point of view the objective, because I bought it to circumvent the limited shelf-life of CA glues. I have a large tube of UV-curing cement from the original manufacturers of Plexiglas in the fridge for about 30 years now and it still works ... perhaps should have stored the Bondic also in the fridge.

In a way it is rather strange, that these cements are quite expensive, because actually every dentist today uses such UV-curing cements (ok these may be rather high-spec varieties) and the so-called 'nail artists' too. For making these not very elegant fancy false and built-up nails you can get UV-curing acrylics and UV-lamps quite cheaply on ebay et al.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg