20 Gun Frigate - DSiemens - Bottle - Finished

Go for it Daniel, I'll be in a front row seat!  I am now contemplating a clipper hip in scale 1:3000 in a small lamp :huh:

But Gwen wants to see some progress on the VOC ship Surabaya before I tackle something else.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The admirals have got a point. They usually do. Best to make some progress on the current build or you'll never get it finished.

1:3000 sounds like a fun challenge though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress. Got the ships lanterns done. The fore stay lines are temporary for now. I need to do a lot of thread blocks to rig them right.

post-307-0-72938300-1472440067_thumb.jpeg

post-307-0-19398900-1472440076_thumb.jpeg

I don't know that I put this ship up yet but I wanted to show it off. This is a side project I've worked on for some time now. I would do a little here and there while working in between glue or paint dtying. Finally got close enough to done I just finished it up. It's a smaller 6 gun Lake Champlain sloop.

post-307-0-74625000-1472674075_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-45020300-1472674097_thumb.jpg

My darn phone turns the pictures sideways. I'll see if I can fix that later.

Beautiful Daniel, just beautiful.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet. Igor the bottle is 11.5 cm by 9 cm. About 3 cm wide. If I remember right the ship is 1:400 scale.

• 2 months later...

I don't know that I put this ship up yet but I wanted to show it off. This is a side project I've worked on for some time now. I would do a little here and there while working in between glue or paint dtying. Finally got close enough to done I just finished it up. It's a smaller 6 gun Lake Champlain sloop.

attachicon.gif20160604_212842.jpg

attachicon.gif20160604_212721.jpg

Daniel, I meant to comment on your sloop, very nice!  Really well done.  Do you mind me asking how you did the mast (hinge method or otherwise), and which point you fixed the stays (bowsprit?  stern?  Mast?) since you used an upright bottle?  I'm still working on my Great Lakes schooner, which will also be in an upright bottle.  Haven't figured out yet how to do the mast and rigging, which will be a little tricky since it is really long and tall (which makes me think to not use a hinge for the masts) and has shrouds/ratlines (which I will probably tie off after inserting into the bottle).  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to respond by PM if you don't want me cluttering up your log with a discussion of a different build.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Brian.

Mike-  With this ship I'm using a hinge less method.  The masts are set in shallow divots held in place by the rigging.  When they are folded down the base of the mast will be loose which allows the masts to lay more flat.  It's a bit harder lifting the mast up with loose ends but I like the look.  To me it's more real and adds to the magic of ship in bottle building when the hinge is not there to show how it was done.  

For a schooner like your building I would suggest tying the forestay to the bowsprit and running it though a hole in the mast top then out the bottle.  It's the same method just sort of revered.  Instead of pulling the mast though the bowsprit your pulling it up through the mast top.  See my Olympic 470 build in my signature.  I used that method for that one.  It sounds a lot like what your trying to do.  

20160615_070229.thumb.jpg.de59825e22ac57    

Got tired of ratlines so I ran some running rigging.

post-307-0-66712700-1483563289.jpegpost-307-0-52111300-1483563301.jpegpost-307-0-28989700-1483563327.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Nice looking frigate.  I had to look twice as the pictures show enough detail to be a much larger model.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Thanks every one.  Almost done.

IMG_1494561233252.jpg

• 2 months later...

On vacation for now but I plan on bottling her when I get back.  I've had to change some things rigging wise.  Should still look the same but she almost doesn't fit.  :/  

received_10154945926318705.jpeg

received_10154945926993705.jpeg

received_10154951537238705.jpeg

received_10154945926318705.jpeg

received_10154945932328705.jpeg

Well.  Not going so good.  Tried to bottle her twice and the second time,I end up breaking a mast.  I got some,more tricks up my sleeve though. ,

IMG_20170716_182612_041.jpg

0716172204.jpg

Nope, not going to like that post...  I hope your tricks work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the support.  Yeah its an occupational hazard.  Not the first time won't be the last.  Problem is my own mis measurements.  The ship is simply to big for this bottle neck.  I'm going to have to section it off and put each mast in one at a time.  That does mean a complete redo of the rigging.  My theory has always been though if a ship is not tough enough to get in a bottle its not tough enough to last.  I had a former client say he had one of my models fall off a shelf and sustained no damage.  I was happy to hear it and at the same time it figured,  I built that ship it to last.  This one needs to be the same way.