HMS Fly by Dfell - FINISHED - Amati / Victory Models - Scale 1:64

Hello - a tentative start on HMS Fly. All dry fitted so as to get a feel for things and to get back into building again.

All laser parts are an excellent fit with small amount of sanding. I can see the plywood decking will need support which I see has been pointed out in other builds.

Have been following all the great Fly builds on here and hopefully I don't let the side down.

Regards

Doug

post-673-0-25264300-1449062171_thumb.jpg

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - Would like to ask Chris Watton when the upgrade kit for HMS Fly will be available but I see he is not taking any messages. Is there anyone who can help, please, on how I can ask Chris or is there someone who may Know if / when the kit is available.

Thank you

Doug

Hello ChrisLinden - Thank you  - although I am thinking it is going to be quite a challenge.

Regards

Doug

• 2 months later...

Hi Doug, I hope you enjoy the build. It is a great kit. I would pay close attention to how Blue Ensign has gone about it personally. If I had realised the little tricks he employed when I started, my build would have been better. It is also a very complete and easy to follow build log.

Edited by betamale

• 1 month later...

Hello - a few small steps forward.

post-673-0-03726900-1459786636_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-96156100-1459773634_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-22225400-1459773656_thumb.jpg

Planking done on lowest deck using kit supplied Tanganyika wood with black thread inbetween for caulking. First done onto thin ply and then glued to the MDF base.

post-673-0-21318700-1459773687_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-74623400-1459773716_thumb.jpg

Balsa blocks inserted for extra support. Bearding and Rabbeting all done - hard to see as keel is in MDF and not ply

post-673-0-96184400-1459773769_thumb.jpg

Now not sure if to follow instructions and plank the lower gun deck which came in two halves or proceed with the hull planking which I'd rather do.

Thank you for all the previous comments and encouragements.

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Hello Chris - no just dry fitted :)

Thanks for looking in

Doug

Doug - best of luck with your build, you look to be off to a really nice clean start.  Definitely interested in seeing you move forward so I'll follow your progress.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

A another small step - lower gun deck in place. Have decided to plank the deck next as instructions dictate.

It comes in two halves and to help with support / strength along join have glued a strip of hull planking underneath with a lip so the other half can be attached onto.

Where there are hatches / masts etc have cut the support away.

post-673-0-49222900-1459876827_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-36233200-1459876760_thumb.jpg

The strength along joint is surprisingly good :)

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Hello - just a question before I start on the lower gun deck planking.

On the instruction it says to put a plank width way as can be seen on illustration. Is this normal as I have noticed everyone on their Fly builds plank the entire deck without these two planks across

the deck.

post-673-0-06039900-1459951937_thumb.jpg

Is it down to personal choice?

Thank you if you can help, please

Regards

Doug

Chris - thank you. Probably could do with some more reference books

Right, onwards with the deck planking then .....

Thanks

Doug

The kit, marvelous as it is, was designed with the novice builder in mind, so there are a number of simplified features. Fortunately, we have a large number of Fly and Pegasus builds on the forum, both in-progress and completed, and these are provide a wealth of upgrade ideas. I also heartily recommend looking at dubz's Syren log, as he is quite good at adding convincing extra details to ships of the same period and similar rate.

I, too, have a Fly in progress, although I started in 2006 (!) and haven't touched her in about three years. Too many projects, dontcha know.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello - lower gun deck planked using the kit supplied Tanganyika wood although I wish I was more adventurous and tried something else as I did not feel the quality was there - but still it is suitable for my skills.

Still using 0.05 black thread - would preferred grey if I could find it. Realise the caulking is out of scale but as I used this method on my first build thought I'd keep the same build theme going - ie built badly....

Left the edges to do once the side hull section is done. Deck still to be sanded and varnished. Will now make some hatches and try and understand how to do the capstan.

post-673-0-27702000-1460477270_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-53406800-1460477299_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-26816300-1460477323_thumb.jpg

Regards

Doug

good looking work Doug,

nice deck planking

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Nils - nice to hear from you again.

Black Viking, Beef Wellington, Seventynet,and Chris (ccoyle) thank you for the 'likes' - much appreciated.

Regards

Doug

Looks great Doug.  The deck will be mostly covered by the time your done with adding all the deck items.  Tanganyika finishes pretty nicely, even though it can be splintery.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

One capstan - the centre hole in various parts to make the capstan was 10mm and instructions asked for 8mm dowel? Was this situation experienced by anyone else? Just happened to have a piece of dowel that fitted and this was extended (to link with the capstan above) with a piece cut out to fit under beam. I do realize this will not be visible :)

post-673-0-91718500-1460998354_thumb.jpg

Some other deck fittings dry fitted to deck - hatch, pumps cistern assembly,rear main mast bits (adjustment required so it sit under beam), riding bit assembly.

Hatch is flat with a little curvature on the underside to suit deck.

post-673-0-34667100-1460998888_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-40482200-1460998980_thumb.jpg

Regards

Doug

Hello - More deck fittings - all dry fitted.

Was uncertain as to width of ladder and exactly what happens around hatch opening.

Have lined hatch opening for ladder with strips of walnut to give some thickness to deck and hide ends of planks and ply underneath.

post-673-0-72899900-1461407646_thumb.jpg

Have some plans of Fly which I would say the ladder looked at least 3 ft wide (just under 1 mtr) so have done the width to about 15 mm.

post-673-0-29083200-1461407845_thumb.jpg

A very crude jig was used to assemble ladder - used the kit parts which were very good.

post-673-0-09692300-1461407927_thumb.jpg

Ladder in place - feels as if too wide :) Concerned about the ladder on the Quarter deck as I know at this width it will touch the hatch below - may move the hatch opening a fraction over depending on the space for upper capstan.

post-673-0-50712000-1461407995_thumb.jpg

Hatches all done on lower gun deck. Have sanded the top with a slight curve to lose the flatness.

post-673-0-60830500-1461408102_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-83759900-1461422827_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Hello - wanted to check that things are going in the right direction as I know this part of the build is extremely important.

All dry fitted. The gun port strips were first heated with an iron and fixed on a board between two rows of screws forming the bow's shape

A light mist of water sprayed on and then left over night.

post-673-0-99113900-1461594044_thumb.jpg

A test fit and to form the shape so far only one side done - fixed in place with the usual clamps etc. Again a light spray of water and this will be left overnight. Then the other side will be done.

The strip as instructed aligned to tops of bulkheads but the odd top of bulkhead a fraction too high.

post-673-0-16142800-1461594080_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-61312700-1461594314_thumb.jpg

All gun openings appear the same distance above decking and have place a kit's cannon on all seems central although will source some other carriages and use kit's barrels. All needs looking into.

post-673-0-67230200-1461594462_thumb.jpg

Please - if anyone can see something wrong I would appreciate the feed back.

Thank you

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Right - now other side gun port strip dry fitted in place. Hopefully there is no obvious things wrong.

Am worried about this stage - if wrong I guess it will cause a lot of problems for other things.

post-673-0-08702500-1461679693_thumb.jpg

Top of the strip is fraction higher at the bow bulkhead

post-673-0-06280300-1461679717_thumb.jpg

Gun in place for checking position to the opening - although would like to change the carriage which will probably alter how the gun points through opening.

post-673-0-35559600-1461679831_thumb.jpg

Another view

post-673-0-40923700-1461679997_thumb.jpg

Join on strip just misses bulkhead which I understand is how it should be - strange.

post-673-0-78007000-1461680307_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this is all okay - I will proceed with glueing it......

Regards

Doug

Looks good to me, I really don't care too much for these strips and the two piece ones are a further mind scrambler, but I guess this versus the alternative of cutting our own gun ports.......let the scrambling begin!!

Thanks Don. Yes it certainly would be quite a challenge to cut the gun ports out.

May move all a millimetre or so forward as one of those small square holes on both sides just has a tiny bit of bulkhead showing which I know will be cut off at some stage.

This will also help the join as it should sit a tiny bit more on the bulkhead. Would also try and lower the bow part of strip to align with the tops of bulkheads better.

Have checked the fit with the quarter deck on and it seems okay with some trimming off the end of strip.

Anyway thanks for looking in and your comments.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug -- I have just now found your build log, and enjoyed reading up on your progress.  As others have said, the Fly / Pegasus is a nice kit.  Those gun port strips are about the worst part, so once you get them done to your satisfaction, you should find everything coming together with less agony.  And they look good to me -- if you're going to use the kit-supplied guns, then they'll serve as your ultimate measure; but if you want to substitute, with Chuck's guns from Syren, for example, the measurement could shift a nudge.  But, really, if the strips line up, if they're even, and they come together at the bow properly, then voila!

It's always good to have another Swan builder on board!  I'll be looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

nice progress Doug,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50