HMS Fly by Dfell - FINISHED - Amati / Victory Models - Scale 1:64

Hello - Thank you Martin W / Beta male / Blue Ensign / Mirabell61 for having a look at my build and your encouraging comments.

Martin - I must have worn the pages away on your build with my constant viewing of your build which has helped me a lot.

Have now stuck the gunport strips down and have thought one could get too hung up on getting them right which felt impossible to get 100% correct and realise things can be slightly altered at a later date.

Will probably get the gun carriages from Syren and the cannons from RB.

Blue Ensign - Had noticed you added a supportive piece on the joint and did think of doing this but once all glued up and dry the joint felt okay. We will see :)

(Been following your Pegasus build - incredible)

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

• 1 month later...

Hi Dfell

The Fly upgrade kit has been available for about a year now, it is available here, if it's not in stock he can get it in 5  7 days.

http://www.euromodels.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=19&SUB=13&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=15817&STKNR=15817&STRH=2380&ORDN=2303&RNZ=996550

Also if you want to upgrade those terrible cannon barrels i can let you have some replacements see pic below

The Smaller ones are for the swivel guns but you will have to make your own mountings for those but there is a Pegasus build on this forum which will give you an idea on how to do it :)

post-11947-0-10734300-1466502362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

Hello Cobr@ - Thank you for the information. Had last contacted Andrew Horne (Euromodels)at the end of August last year and nothing in and had given up.

Have now contacted him again as I can see they could be available on his site. Thank you for letting me know and thanking for your offer on the barrels. I will see if I can get an upgrade kit and take it from there.

Regards

Doug

Hi Doug

Andrew is pretty helpful and will do his best to get the kit for you if it's not already in stock. If you get one i would thicken the gun carriages before assembly as they are on the thin side. I did this by lining the outside of the carriage sides with 0.5 mm x 3 mm strip wood. even though it's only half a mm each side it makes them much more sturdy and also makes them look like they are made from separate blocks of wood rather then ply.

Don't forget you don't get cannon barrels with the kit, just the carriages

Edited by Cobr@

It's been a while since I caught up with your build Doug - very nice!   Love how the tanganyika deck came out!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

Hello - Have now received upgrade kit. :)  Thanks for the advice and offer of cannons - will see how things turn out.

Hopefully everyone else who have been waiting have now got the upgrade.

post-673-0-64041300-1470063302.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - First planking done using kit supplied wood. Have just given the hull an initial light sanding with coarse paper just to give me confidence that it is in a reasonable state and not too bad  

post-673-0-66120900-1472488937.jpg

post-673-0-53926000-1472488946.jpg

post-673-0-19072300-1472488958.jpg

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Right - an update.

Hull sanded ready for 2nd planking.

Bulkhead stubs removed and main deck planking finished to edge.

Inner bulkhead planked, sanded and painted.

post-673-0-71915300-1473434573.jpg

One cabin partition made with acetate for glazing. Not sure if there would have been  glass in the doors, thought it would let more light in. Have no historical reference has to how the partition should look  - just copied what was done by everyone.

post-673-0-49890300-1473434580.jpg

Guess the next thing to do is the stern and then the wale.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Further progress—2nd planking done. Feels now like one has a ship / boat.

The darker band is where the wale will be positioned.

The hull has been stained with oak colouring although the lower section will be painted white.

post-673-0-15674500-1475593305.jpg

post-673-0-66470400-1475593285_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-51537700-1475593296_thumb.jpg

Gun ports lined. Used the deck planking timber which was not a great idea as it had a tendency to splinter.

post-673-0-26476800-1475593319_thumb.jpg

Thank you for previous comments

Regards

Doug

Hi - Wale now done. Little bit uncertain how it should finish it at stern. Blue colour in the photo looks a lot brighter than it is.

post-673-0-88468100-1476107870.jpg

post-673-0-83506100-1476107892_thumb.jpg

Have cut out the infill to windows - a little more filing required...... I know I have not done the captain's cabin - just thought it may make the windows have a bit more depth than looking like a thin piece of metal. I am also going to put acetate behind for glazing.

post-673-0-11760400-1476107907_thumb.jpg

Regards

Doug

Hi Doug -- The wales look good to me.  Bringing them back to the stern is tricky, since there's such a sharp inward and upward curve.  From your picture, though, I'd say you finished it off well.  And remember that you'll have some trim running along the bottom of the counter to make everything fit together.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

Sorting out the decorations strips. Using masking tape to get the correct positioning of the two 2 x 1 mm walnut strips. Many hours spent measuring and rechecking—quite challenging   :) 

post-673-0-16490100-1476901037.jpg

The instructions says to paint black between the strips if using decoration and blue if not. Have painted the areas blue even though will be putting the decorations on as I have seen most builds have blue as it does look good (And then again maybe not in my case...........) and the walnut strips have been painted yellow ochre whereas the instructions say just varnish.

Where the side windows will be positioned the strip will be cut to fit, as strip is not glued in that area.

post-673-0-56863000-1476901046.jpg

post-673-0-84425500-1476901056.jpg

Thank you Blue Ensign and Martin W for your helpful comments and certainly learning a lot from both of your builds.

Regards

Doug

I like the choice of your colours Doug.  Shes really looking grand.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Cobr@ - although I feel I am not quite building this time as well as I did with the Supply build.

Also thanks to probablynot and Beef Wellington for your comments, Thank you.

Probably doing everything in the wrong order -side windows in place - not looking so good close up. The lower design was hard to see on one window - the moulding was very bad but slightly better on the other window and also found it hard to paint it correctly so did a bit of bodge job - tried to replicate the brass design along the side. 

Had painted the brass designs along the side with brass paint to tie in with the metal moulds that had to be painted a brass colour. Not a good idea so had to take the paint off which mucked up the brass strips   :(    

post-673-0-27792900-1477577624.jpg

Masking off to paint the hull below waterline. Have done the waterline about 4 mm lower than it should be - mainly as did not like the look of it nearly up against the wale and besides it was easier to fit the masking tape   :rolleyes:

post-673-0-84542400-1477577647.jpg

Regards

Doug

Hi - small update. Rudder attached with the gudgeons and pintles although the top gudgeon is not there as stern counter (part 146 which on the parts list says 'not in use'?) is in the way. Maybe not enough inward curve on the counter part although it is fixed properly to stern bulkheads.

post-673-0-60666900-1477932932_thumb.jpg

Thanks

That top gudgeon is a hoot!  When I tried putting the rudder in place, I felt the chill of, Oh No, My Measurements are Way OFF.  But it's true -- if you look at lots and lots of pictures of the Swan sterns, you'll see that the top gudgeon just disappears, or the modeller did something clever.

You're making great progress!  I like that blue you chose.

cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks SpyGlass and Martin W for the information - that's a relief as with this build there seems a lot of measuring and re measuring and more measuring and I kept thinking what have I done wrong again........

The blue I am surprised it's liked - it is a bit of a lighter colour than on other builds although it appears brighter in the photos. I do put  bright lights on when photographing.

Thank you to everyone looking in, the likes etc.

Now to paint the hull white. A bit scary - the waterline needs to be accurate (more measuring / checking)   :(

Regards

Doug

Hello Glennard - thanks for looking and your comments. Have been looking at all the Pegasus and Fly builds - I need all the help I can get.

Felt that I have taken a big step forward with painting below the waterline - which means I can get on with the fixtures and fittings.

Just finishing the stern windows - next update.

post-673-0-22585000-1479218370.jpg

post-673-0-79422100-1479218385_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-11121100-1479218397_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-32219300-1479218414.jpg

The stern fascia was bent over a shaped bit of balsa wood and soaked with diluted PVA to get the required curve.

The metal carvings were broken in two places and stuck back together and filed away at centre area on the back - also to try and achieve a slight curve. 

post-673-0-75726400-1479218452.jpg

post-673-0-25605600-1479218478.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards

Doug

Beautiful work Doug.  Agree with BE, the colors you are using are working very nicely together.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you very much for the lovely comments - Blue Ensign / Landlubber Mike / SpyGlass / Tigersteve / probablynot and to all those that pressed the 'like' button. Thank you.

Yes it is a shame the metal castings are not good.

The blue is the French navy blue with quite a bit of white, some black, and bit of red.

The white waterline was sprayed with acrylic matt paint. First with a couple of coats of grey primer, sanded then couple of coats of the white. Then clear matt lacquer.

So as to not to get any bleed under the masking tape - having stuck the tape down - I paint on along the edge of the tape (that the new  paint goes up to) the colour that is under the masking tape thus sealing it. In this case it was clear matt lacquer.

probablynot  - maybe Pegasus might be a better build as the fitting may be better and you will have master builders (Blue Ensign / Landlubber Mike - among others :) ) to follow.

Talking of great builders - what has happened to Aliluke (Alistair)?

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Nicely done, Doug, nicely done indeed.  I would have been afraid to use spray paint, but your strategy of laying a coat under the tape sound ingenious.  Spy's right about those fittings, and they don't get any better.

We all miss Alistair's contributions to the Fly/Pegasus community.  But as a working man myself, I know how hard it can be sometimes to get to the boatyard for any extended work.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

Stern windows fitted plus window ledge. The decorations above in arched section left off as they did not quite fit in - besides it was nice to see some of the red colour.

post-673-0-53835800-1480610437.jpg

post-673-0-73003200-1480610451.jpg

Still a bit of touching up needed as glue is showing.

The side decorations were snapped in two places so as to get them to fit the curve of the hull and I can see in the picture that I haven't hidden the join so well. :)

Thanks Gahm for looking in and the nice comments. Just wished I could take really close up pictures without showing some wobbly work unlike your incredible work which really is a pleasure to see.

Also thank you Martin W. 

Couple of other great builders - vths and pnevrin - seem to have disappeared?

Regards

Doug