HMS Fly by Dfell - FINISHED - Amati / Victory Models - Scale 1:64

Finally the stern done. Lost the letters a few times - hours on hands and knees searching. Glad to have them stuck down.

post-673-0-98565700-1481721852.jpg

post-673-0-69426100-1481721861_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Nice looking stern, Doug.  That position on hands and knees seems to be one we all grow accustomed to.  Generally I find what I was looking for months later when I'm looking for something else.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 1 month later...

Hello - have been assembling the cannons this last month. 

The 6 lbs cannons and carriages I have used are from the Syren company and the picture below shows the kit supplied metal carriage and cannon, the upgrade kit carriage with original cannon, and the Syren carriage and cannon. Felt I could have done with something slightly larger than I had.

post-673-0-73266700-1485608476.jpg

post-673-0-30437100-1485608502_thumb.jpg

Syren 6 lbs carriage and cannon partly rigged, using 2mm block supplied with upgrade kit, black tape used for the brackets holding cannon to carriage and 0.4 rivets (from model train shop) on the top of the carriage.

post-673-0-80076000-1485608520.jpg 

post-673-0-02889400-1485608536.jpg

Thank you for the previous comments and the likes.

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with BE - the Syren guns look much better.  Amati does such a nice job with the kit, it's a shame that they use out of scale guns.  I replaced my cannons with ones from RB models which are pretty close to the Syren ones in size and shape.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

Hello and thank you Blue Ensign and mcpesq817 for the comments concerning the cannons. It is good there are other suppliers for these things otherwise we would have to make do with the kit supplied bits.

The 8 cannons below the upper decking rigged - using the upgrade kit 2 mm blocks and rope.

_DSC0001.thumb.JPG.a05357e15e4f50d7ac8108f9cba65452.JPG

_DSC0002.thumb.JPG.a0d1d16b516558696629e1c419258aa5.JPG

One barbecue / camping stove / or even vaguely a 'Brodie' stove. Copied from Martin W / Aliluke /and Lloyd Matthew   http://hmsfly.com/brodieGalleyStove.html#sectionTwo 

The galley stove was made from a block of balsa wood then covered with thin plywood.

_DSC0005.thumb.JPG.b46d4ce7cb32c33f3697bcbbbcb98f8e.JPG

_DSC0006.thumb.JPG.ba3f21bc4877dd6884368745f3694f00.JPG

Cross beams, Partition, capstan etc fitted in place.

_DSC0008.thumb.JPG.3020e2bf5fcd1068e1465868591affbb.JPG

_DSC0010.thumb.JPG.e24f29be7e254a2124bcdd8721438b61.JPG

_DSC0011.thumb.JPG.14f3b7d14d37e018b4f5369d367d98a4.JPG

Sorry a lot of photos.....

Regards

Doug

Thank you Blue Ensign - yes I have checked 🙂 And the stove is just dry fitted at the moment and will get it right when putting the upper deck in place.

Hi Doug -- Oh, don't apologize for giving us lots of pictures!

That stove looks very nice -- and solid.

And a good job with the guns. 

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you Martin. And the stove looks a bit too long as I think Blue Ensign had spotted that and I am embarrassed to admit. It does sort of sit under the chimney position but does really need to be moved over a few mm but would cause a problem with the mast bits :huh:.

This is presuming I have the stove going in the right direction. Have followed Martin W and Aliluke on this but have noticed Aliluke changed his around. If it should be the other way round then the length is good but height not so good due to the overhead beam. 

Now need to see what should be done next - been concentrating hard on cannons and rigging and stove and have lost sight of the next stages.....

Anyway thanks for the looking and comments.

Doug

Doug, my Stove is positioned wth the chimey forward, it is the only way it would fit.

I pondered over this for some time but came across a reference to stoves sometimes facing that way.

I did notch out the beam to allow for the steam grating to sit without the beam blocking it from beneath.

I did quite a lot of modifications beneath the Foc'sle deck  one of which was to provide sockets on the underside of the deck to take the legs of the Foc'sle bitts. This meant that the legs didn't extend down to the upper deck and would not therefore block your stove whichever way you positioned it.

Possible solutions😊

B.E.

Thank you B.E for the help in this matter concerning the stove. It has been a bit embarrassing not to have really checked everything through while building the stove. Have decided to turn the stove around, adjust the beam and this way it gives more room around the stove so it looks like it could be used.

Again thank you for taking the time to explain. Unfortunately was unable to find your stove to see what you had done on your build I guess due to sad problems with the sites upgrade.. 

Regards

Doug

Aha - found it and have found out something else. As I have very bad internet here when I have been flicking through your log no pictures  so did not see any stove. Today left the page (link supplied) open for half an hour and wow - pictures started to appear. Technology eh?

Now I can get back to study rest of your build - and be patience knowing the pictures will be there.

Must add that it seems only on your log and the early part I have this problem. Just thought the mishap with the site upgrade had lost your pictures.

Thank you

Doug

Hi Doug -- I worried over the direction of the stove for quite a while.  Finally, I got the bright Idea of looking at the NMM plans and placed it accordingly.  As I was making the stove, I did find that it was going to be longer than the space allowed, so I had to modify it.  In the end, it's tight no matter what.

cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

• 1 month later...

Hello - Been busy doing the Bow part. Quite challenging to say the least!! 

Upper decks planked - the quarter deck just placed and not glued down.

_DSC0008.JPG.96f83d9385aa2f3208f10dc21c4ec4a9.JPG

_DSC0012.thumb.JPG.107b91dd34c780114f72a973a157ef8a.JPG

Cheeks painted blue so where ever the decoration appears it has always on a blue background. The instructions ask for black.

The 'side pieces' have a strip of 1 x 1 walnut strip added painted yellow. (An addition)

_DSC0005.JPG.c2e5a51c40bebf8893605a46f511790f.JPG

_DSC0007.thumb.JPG.176264713c47384dd05324cf728ba500.JPG

Next - will do guns on the lower deck and then back to the quarter deck.

Thanks for looking 

Regards

Doug

Very nice work Doug,

also the white underwater coloring is a nice alternative to the coppering usualy shown here...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you very much Mirabell61 and Tigersteve for your comments and to those who pressed the 'like' button.

Mirabell61 - not seen many white painted hulls either but if I do another build may do copper. Have found on both my builds the white hull had cracks after a few months appearing along the planking. Maybe why most choise either copper or left wood. So before it gets impossible to turn the ship over (mast and rigging started) I repair the hull - gluing / filling / paint etc. On my first build ( HM Brig Supply) the cracks have not reappeared - fingers crossed.  

Thanks

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - just a small update. Some more work to the bow section. Not having any reference to what really goes on here have done something based on what others have done. Am doing some side panels

_DSC0013.JPG.ad4f63a1f8fbb8dd52902aec7a2eb188.JPG

_DSC0014.JPG.dcd6d57643b40921327a89ca15d3f0c4.JPG

_DSC0015.JPG.58cc5911f34aa94152a26f72c6658277.JPG

Regards

Doug

Just came across your build and what a lovely surprise. Always liked this model and class of ship. Very well done.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

• 1 month later...

Thank you Tallshiptragic for looking in and your much appreciated comments. I thought this ship had a lot of decorations but seeing your amazing build I realize you cannot have enough ....... I have struggled with the the brass decor on this build and having tried unsuccessfully to put the trim carefully on the cheeks without glue showing have given up.

Blue Ensign - again thanks for looking in. The book idea was brilliant - absolutely lovely.

Have now rigged the guns - just the coils to do. The pumps and handles are also done.

_DSC0003.JPG.c5cdce6850caa1a4c4b8a13df0af10dc.JPG

_DSC0004.thumb.JPG.8fb0fd8aa917faecccb8a63ba4d2b07f.JPG

The side screens. A bit clumsy.

Got frustrated with the brass trim on the cheeks so took them off.

Also for some reason there was a gap on the side where there was no trim yet the plans showed the last section of brass trim went right up to the catheads. As I had some spare from not doing the bow section have placed some bits in. Probably will find later on down the line this will be a mistake.

_DSC0007.JPG.62405c7b3628f67dc7d7c09ea5b91e9b.JPG

Have now completed other bits of trim on the sides

_DSC0008.JPG.eb0a4fd6dc4bcae87fbf92607483965d.JPG 

Regards

Doug

Hi Doug -- Nice work all around.  I've been contemplating the pumps on my own Fly, so seeing yours done gives me plenty to study.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Doug

I have been absent from the forum for a long time. I'm just dropping in to rekindle my fire for HMS Fly. Work/life got in the way...

Love what you are doing - it looks great and you have got over that hurdle that curdled me - all of the full cannon rigs. Your head works - which did my head in - are also superb. Great stuff and I'll follow along again but probably not keep up with my Fly for a wee while yet. Started building WW1 planes instead...

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - Some more steps forward. 

Rope coils finished for cannons and ladders installed. No room around ladders eh?

Capping rails all done. Certainly improves the look of the build once those edges are covered.

_DSC0002.JPG.b7f0fd343ad2e383cf21f58acbb632cd.JPG

Skylight (glazed), Binnacle (glazed and with a shelf), Ship's wheel in place and rigged. The wheel rigging simplified, not as plans indicate and used 0.5 thread and not 0.25 as on plans. Don't ask me why, fixed the blocks to the side and not onto the deck as on plans. maybe thought they would sit better.....

Tiller had balsa wood added and rounded off and painted hopefully to look as timber. Tiller housing shortened, didn't look right as supplied in kit.

Ladder fitted and it sits fine as seeing on previous builds the ladder hits the hatch below. Had made lower hatch smaller to avoid this problem.

_DSC0003.JPG.67723cc1918d7b3683bd16622bf843aa.JPG

_DSC0011.JPG.359fd44bdf48f2f1d91892a148460c19.JPG

Overall views

_DSC0006.thumb.JPG.fc1f60a411cb923a63115c02cdbe4cc9.JPG

_DSC0001.JPG.c71333a442b8e36611963c015e304caf.JPG

Thank you for looking in. Thanks to Blue Ensign, Martin W, and aliluke (looking forward to seeing your build back on) for your previous comments and those who pressed the 'like' button.

Regards

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug -- There's a lot of progress here, with plenty of details!  Could you tell me what you used for the stanchions at the fore end of the pumps?  They're considerably more substantial than the kit-supplied PE version.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin - you should find there are 4 stanchions and you put 2 together to make 1 thicker stanchion. 

🙂

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Hello - couple of photos showing the bell tower and the quarterdeck rail and quarter gangways with step.

Having built the bell tower as instructed in the kit I realised I had better try harder and do it as shown by the master - Blue Ensign - so had to cut the bell support to place it lower. In doing so realised that it need to be rebuilt plus the canopy. 

_DSC0009.JPG.62ccdfd8578452e8df5aa85d9777955e.JPG

On the quarterdeck rail lower section used round dowel instead of square section as asked for in instructions. 

_DSC0007.thumb.JPG.cc6c0e0759ffc8f29d39067a01f9ecc5.JPG

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell