Armed Launch by mobbsie - FINISHED - Panart - 1/16 - Small

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

Here we are again with a long overdue update, I know work on the boat has slowed for reasons I will give later but this is bordering stupid. I can only say I'm being bone idol.

Right, thanks to all for your comments and for hitting the like button, I do appreciate you looking in.

I apologize for the jumpy nature of the photos but this is mainly due to a lot of the jobs on the boat being small and don't appear to be note worthy, before you know it a lot has been achieved and not a lot recorded.

The deck is made from Swiss Pine and really is just a framework for the Gratings and Boards. The deck boards are of 8m x 2m Red Heart, I made a guide frame so that I could sand the outer edges of the boards down to 1mm, these then sat  flush inside the frame.

The Gratings are from the kit and not the best, they came up short and so a mish mash was fitted together, not great but acceptable.

post-493-0-01838100-1465486131.jpg

The lower deck with completed boards and gratings, the anti slip bars are 2m x 2m Holly

post-493-0-35137200-1465486363.jpg

The forward Bulkhead has now been planked but is still work in progress, the planks are 5m x 1m Walnut.

post-493-0-73061000-1465486512.jpg

The second deck has been given the same treatment as the main deck and is dry fitted in position, the top deck has been planked using 5m x 1m Walnut planks.

post-493-0-40241800-1465486734_thumb.jpg

The stern weather boards have been fitted and are made from 8m x 2m planks, these have been fixed to the 7m x 1m Walnut of the first planking. I have also started to fit the aft ribs which are 2m x 2m Lime strips, soaked then shaped.

post-493-0-66158000-1465487147.jpg

All the decks have now been fixed, bulkheads planked and all ribs are in place. The Transom hatch has been made from a  Lime frame and Walnut boards. the aft stringers are seen ready to be fitted.

post-493-0-55603400-1465487435.jpg

Here the aft stringers are being glued in.

post-493-0-44709600-1465487528.jpg

The Port side stringers are completed and have been pinned using cut down flat head pins.

post-493-0-96443000-1465487665.jpg

I do have more progress to report and show but that will be for another post, I promise it wont be as long this next time.

Hope you enjoy them guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie, at what scale are you building this lovely Lancia Armata. With those dimensions she will be heavy. I know you are meaning mm and not meter. Just giving you a hard time. ;)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nice to see an update Mobbsie. She's looking might fine and the inclusion of some nicer timber really does show her off nicely. Looking forward to the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice.........I also like the different woods.......really enhances the hull wonderfully.   the gratings look fine to me.   reminds me of that method I tried making them for one of my builds....without the tools that some folks have here......they can be very labor intensive.   always good to see an update mobbsie......whatever the frequency  ;)   {I'm late myself........again I'm catching up on all these wonderful builds!}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just caught up with your marvelous work Mobbsie.  Terrific looking hull and deck.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Morning Gents,

Thank you all very much for your comments and for dropping in and thanks to all who hit the like button, all are very welcome and appreciated.

Piet and Brian welcome to the log guys, good to have you along.

I have an update guys which is pretty quick for me, just 17 days since my last one.

I think this is the correct time to apply a coat of W.O.P,  the colour change is quite evident, the wood was also very thirsty.

post-493-0-52871100-1466932401.jpg

The Port and Starboard stern benches have now been fitted, the holes are for a pair of Belaying Pins, elbows can also be seen and are waiting to be fitted to the stern.

post-493-0-20682600-1466932742.jpg

Forard stringer elbows made and ready for fitting and the forard locker cover fitted, all the elbows are made from Lime planks and have had cut down flathead pins pre-fitted, the locker cover is made from 2x2mm lime strip and 1x5mm walnut planks.

post-493-0-12944900-1466933171.jpg

Aft elbows have now been fitted along with the rudder cap and tiller bar also the Swivel Gun Pedestals, the pedestals are 6x6mm Walnut square stock, the pedestals had to be shaped to fit the hull and cut out made for the Capping Rail. The tiller was a lot of fun trying to bend to shape, no matter what I tried it creased at the bend, in the end I sanded out a lot of the crease and settled for that, it's not too bad really. The Rudder Cap is a 10x10mm Lime block and the Tiller Bar is a 5x5mm Lime Stock. Lime is not the best of woods to work with.

post-493-0-24873800-1466936483.jpg

Next step was for the Benches, Mast Seat, Mast Head, and Bench Elbows. I cut the Benches from Swiss Pear Boards, the size is 5x15mm, a 10mm hole needed to be made for the Mast seat and Bracing pieces fitted either side of the bench. The Mast Head was cut from a piece of Lime square stock, reamed out and pulleys fitted, I changed the small brass pulleys and made a couple of wooden ones from 6mm dowel. The seat elbows are made from Lime stock but I wasn't happy with these and changed them to Swiss Pear.

post-493-0-18514000-1466937609.jpg

Next was to dry fit the stern Capping Rail and fit it around the Rudder Post. The Capping Rail is made from Swiss Pear, shaped and the outer edge decoration cut into it, this was then treated with Ebonising Solutions until the right colour was reached. The stern side rails were given the same treatment. The capping rail elbows were cut from a 10x10mm block of Swiss Pear stock, using a template made from the plans the shape was cut and sanded. These have now been dry fitted.

post-493-0-91752300-1466938186_thumb.jpg

We have now a big leap ahead, All the capping rails have been fitted and I decided to put a length of rope (1mm Caldercraft) along the length of the decoration, more as a rubbing rope. The benches have been fitted along with the elbows, (I hate elbows). The Mast seat has been fitted underneath the bench and columns fitted beneath each of the other remaining benches. I cut the rowlocks from 6x6mm Walnut stack and shaped using my drum sander, they were drilled and pins fitted, these were then glued to the aping rail. the two Fairleads were cut from 6x6mm Walnut square stock these were also glued to the capping rail. 

post-493-0-66814900-1466939250_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-60861100-1466939288_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-87576000-1466939443_thumb.jpg

I've reached the limit of this download gents so I will wait until my next update to post the rest.

I hope you enjoy this update and as usual all comments whether good or bad are always welcome.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

awwww c'mon!   I've crammed more photos into my updates..........:D  :D  not enough Mobbsie........just beautiful!    what a boatload of progress you've made!    really sweet job.......big difference now that you've totally done her in the poly,,,really tones her up nice.   you really have a gem there my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I just luv the contrasting woods, Mobbsie.

Simply stunning work !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Wow! She's looking just stunning Mobbsie. I love the extra little touches you've applied to make her uniquely yours.

Mobbsie, just catching up.  WOW !  Beautiful workmanship.  Love the contrasting wood colors on the hull and elsewhere.

Stunnngly beautiful, Mobbsie.    I'm mostly speechless at this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Help required please, I'm having trouble with my P.C.

My laptop crashed a while ago and as a result I'm now operating Windows 10, I'm experiencing trouble downloading my pictures in my log for an up-date

I know for a fact that some have experienced the same, can you come to the aid of an old git who needs help.

Thanks Guys

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

Your PM-box is full. You cannot receive any messages. I presume you mean upload, download is to your PC/laptop. What browser do you use? Do you use the flash-uploader or the "normal" one. Try change the upload from one to the other. What virus programm do you use?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm back, I haven't been around lately for several reasons, the main reason being that through my own stupidity my Laptop crashed, I wont go into detail but suffice to say it stopped working.

Through the help of several friends I am now back on line and raring to go, I have at this stage got to thank Carl ( cog ) for all his help and assistance, it's down to you that I'm back ( you can get him later guys ). A big THANK YOU Carl, your a diamond.

A lot of progress has been made since my last post so I will be doing a few post in succession to try and catch up.

The hull with the mast a yard to the front, these were quite simple to build due mainly to there being no fiddly bits, all that I changed were the pulley wheels in the masthead,

The Hull with Mast and Yard in the fore.

post-493-0-55701000-1470563109.jpg

The Mast Head, with the replaced pulleys.

post-493-0-71300400-1470563369.jpg

This is the main fixing point for the Yard, 3mm Morope seized on with .75mm black thread.

post-493-0-76242400-1470563386.jpg

Now for some Sail Making

The sail is made from a sheet of kit supplied Calico, this was first washed and ironed then cut diagonally from corner to corner, then I stained one piece with 4 teabags in boiling water, this was left for several hours until it got to the colour I wanted. When dry it was ironed again the edges were brushed with diluted PVA.

The Bolt-rope was made from 1mm Caldercraft rope, the lengths were measured and Becket's tied in.

the Bolt-rope was laid on the edge of the sail and the edge was then folded over the rope and again given a coat of PVA.

post-493-0-47429400-1470564370.jpg

The bolt-rope is now fitted and the PVA has dried.

post-493-0-69677200-1470564550.jpg

One of the three Becket's

post-493-0-53361400-1470564648.jpg

The sail has now been marked up with pencil and is now ready to go to the seamstress.

post-493-0-24348500-1470564740.jpg

The seamstress has done her job and a nice job at that. ( think I'll keep her on ).

post-493-0-00454300-1470564994.jpg

Next up was to stretch the sail and fix it to the yard. The Becket's were tied using .5mm black thread. I then started to stitch fixing loops onto the sail.

post-493-0-56226800-1470565549.jpg

With all the loops stitched on the sail was bent to the yard using .75mm black thread. The sail has now been completely bent to the mast and the Reev's also attached.

post-493-0-41520700-1470565850.jpg

The completed sail.

post-493-0-49088700-1470565876.jpg

That's it for now guys, a further update will follow very shortly.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

That's a great looking sail there Mobbsie. I think the seamstress deserves a double grog ration!

Masthead is looking real good Mobbsie. I like that yard with the sail, attached. The stiching looks very good on it and I do like those other details. The fixing loops make it complete ... nice come back ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That looks great Mobsie, give the seamstress a hug, and Carl to for that matter. One more reason why this is the only social networking site I belong to, the people are top notch.

Thanks for detailing the sail making process, you answered some questions I didnt know I had and gave me some ideas.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Great looking sail, Mobbsie. Take your seamstress out to dinner, soon. And kudoes to Carl/Cog, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild