Saturday the Model Shipwright Guild of Western NY held the planned seminar of Museum Standard Requirements For Model Ships. Carlos Montalvao, a professional ship modeler from Lisbon Portugal and member of the Model Shipwright Guild of Western NY. The seminar attendees either came from the New Jersey/Philadelphia area or happened to be in town from Missouri. To our delight 3 members of the Niagara Modelers of Ontario Canada attended and participated.

It was a memorable event with a good deal of information exchange in the main body of the seminar by Carlos and the rich contributions by our fellow modelers from Ontario. Both clubs had models on display and that proved to add a richness to the day.

Carlos's presentation is being captured and will be placed on our web site for viewing (modelshipwrighguildwny.org) in a few days. What the file will not capture was Carlos's passionate and inspiring telling of the research, his build methodology and delivery of the 1:24 scale model to the National Museum of Oman. His delivery was captivating and at times quite humorous at times as he spoke to his trials and tribulation, other country customs and his pursuit of excellence.

The 2nd part of the day was reserved for individual attendees discussion of a model or models that they brought to the meeting. Also nearly by chance Jim Kennard, of notable fame, attended and supported part of the discussion with his re-telling with video and commentary of his discovery of the HMS Ontario.

(more to come)

P1010307.JPG

P1010326.jpg

As a visiting attendee, I have to comment that it was a very full, interesting and well-run day. Thanks to all the friendly folk who were responsible for arranging the event!

More on the gathering of the July 28th seminar.

Below in the first picture you will see the display of models brought to the seminar.

Ray of the Niagara modeler's group displayed his model of HMS Ontario and its attending jolly boats. Ray also brought and demonstrated his jig for taking body plan lines off a solid hull of the Ontario as he stated he had little to go on but a profile draft he had obtained. His original interpretation of deck arrangements and furniture he related was extrapolation using his knowledge of period vessels of this type. He further related that after reviewing Jim Kennard's robot deep sea gathered video he found ample information to correct his deck layout/arrangement. We all found not only the video and Jim's reporting to be captivating but marveled at this find and how Ray's work was able to reflect the REAL world. Amazing just amazing Jim and Ray.

David treated us to a brief but enthralling model and description of his Hayling Hoy. It is a very interesting and different model and deserves consideration as a build subject. As you all know David is a master at this art and goes to great effort to research and deliver his subjects to us all. As I have witnessed his books are a master piece in themselves and it should be no surprise they reflect his passion and diligence to produce lasting works of art.

Rusty brought his completed models of Confederacy (a pilot project with Syren), Syren's Barge and of course Cheerful. Bob brought his nearly completed Fair American which is a finely executed Model Shipway's kit. Lacy displayed his model of Lexington which is in progress and it too is very nicely done. Because of time these builds were not discussed but did occupy much attention during breaks. This was unfortunate as they represent some of the best models of our group. Truly we have some very talented modelers in this area!

P1010298.JPG
P1010301.thumb.JPG.983c9edc458b03c8fc9c2491230e9e29.JPGP1010316.thumb.JPG.a36fb79f339a137e3ab2d62d3ebdfd55.JPGP1010314.thumb.JPG.80d851a0d2d2f5ccbdffd2f212322907.JPGP1010313.thumb.JPG.0d607baff090af9a9ebca18bcbbe3799.JPGP1010305.thumb.JPG.eb944652a227625255628efd9ea9ebf0.JPGP1010303.thumb.JPG.0566013631906785c05d41764ba93645.JPGP1010304.thumb.JPG.17be0133e3a722dec60d468b0c0c46e6.JPG

P1010300.JPG

P1010306.JPG

Edited by Thistle17

I was glad to make it even if I only showed up right at the end when most folks were burned out and itching for fresh air! At least I was able to contribute by taking the group photo so no one was left out. I really enjoyed viewing the presented models and only wished I could have brought along one of my steamboats (it would never have survived the trip from Missouri). Thanks to Joe for being gracious about letting me pop in right at the end. I did really enjoy hearing the end of the talk about the Ontario model.

Joshua your pictures really add to the mix. Thank you. Glad you found the seminar enjoyable it will be hard to beat this one. Everyone I spoke with echoed your sentiments.

Joe

Eric glad you were able to be there for some of the event and thank you for the photo too. You are welcome anytime you happen to be in Rochester.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

Just a brief notice that the group has elected to change the initialism of the organization name. From this point forward the group will be known by the initials of MSWNY. The web site address will remain the same www.modelshipwrightguildwny.org.

Joe

The Model Shipwrights of Western New York will begin a series of displays and demonstrations starting in January of 2019 to promote our group and encourage others to participate in the art of ship modeling. Our first event will be at the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester NY January 12th and 13th. Visit our web site to learn more about this and future events in and around Rochester.

Joe

Just a reminder The Model Shipwrights of Western NY (note the name change, we dropped the Guild, our web site remains the same as before) will be at the Strong Museum in Rochester NY this weekend (January 12th and 13th). Five members will be actively working on modeling or modeling techniques. Rigging, sail making, hull construction and general hull detailing will be demonstrated. We are giving away a brand new model kit in a drawing in the hopes of signing up new members.

The demo and display at the Strong Museum was completed today. From the security folk nearly 8 thousand people visited for general and special events. We were given great placement for our display and signage that could not be missed as it was in the main lobby area. We all agree our hosts were magnificent in both accommodation and welcome. The Strong Museum is a class act to be sure. We had many visitors stop by and admire the member display. The museum is structured to entertain and celebrate the all important aspect of play for children. I would hazard a guess that it is geared primarily to those below 10 years of age. So it wasn't surprising that the parents were the ones who were the most interested in our works. That was re enforced on Saturday when I wandered into a class room of older children and parents. When  I inquired what the class about, I was told it was a 4 week class on how to program video games. What ever happened to the days of model building for young folk?

It is doubtful given the parents age and the children's age that we will attract any new members.We did however get our name out there.  We all live and learn.

Joe577888487_IMG_10881.thumb.JPG.eca1418662985ee98b7522bf7a4ada66.JPG

Edited by Thistle17

I sure would have loved to visit you if I weren't 1,000 miles away and snowed in. Thanks for doing this kind of outreach, you never know in whom it might plant a seed.

And, in fairness, programming is model-building, too, just of a very different sort.

Thanks for checking in  Eric. I do know programming as I was involved in multi processer, real time, machine control for machines. Its just that with modern technology, the old arts/interests take a back seat.

We are planning at least one more outreach maybe this fall. So keep us in mind. And snow is headed our way by Friday reportedly in the form of a storm. We will see.

Joe

Joe,

I have to agree with Eric.  You may not see the result but some seeds were planted.  If you look through the new member area, it's amazing how many of us had the seed for ship building planted as kids and then one day, they're here and building.

Thanks Mark and David we aren't going to give up on promoting this incredible art. modeling or past time whatever it is seen as.

My thoughts have been flavored by what I see around us. For example, I happened to be watching 60 Minutes on CBS last night and my dread was re-enforced by the segment of how AI is infiltrating our lives at nearly "light speed". It was related that in the next 20 or so years, 40% of all jobs could be eliminated in the world by AI technology. In comparison, I recall in 1971 Intel introduced the 4bit microprocessor and look where we are some 45+ years later!

While we have folded in 3D printing, CNC and Laser machining into our works no telling what the next 20 years will bring even to this practice.

Joe