Montanes by mtdoramike - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70 scale - next donation project

Weeeeelllllllll, I got tempted this afternoon while piddling on the computer, ebay wouldn't you know it and came across the below listing. It tugged at me for a couple of hours before I placed a bid. There is only a couple of model kits that would make me reconsider building another model and this happens to be one of them. Hopefully and probably I won't win the auction.

mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222161435054?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wow, you've got a lot done on her Mike! She's looking splendid, as I knew she would. I apologize for not checking in for so long, but a couple medical problems put me down for a while. Still trying to recover, but doing better.  As a side, I think the Santa Ana will look good on you!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Awesome work. Btw I just purchased the Santa Ana on special here in AUS. She's a big box. Not as big as the Caldercraft Victory, but still a lot of wood. Only disappointment was that they have removed the nice stand & holders and replaced it with a really crappy plywood support base. They appear to be cheapening the contents. Shame given the cost of the kit and what you get compared to other suppliers. I expect to start a log sometime in the new year.

I want to do the occre xebec first

Ahhhhh lucky you. The dispay base you refer to is only a base to use during the construction process. To my knowledge latina has never supplied a finished display base in their kits. I will keep an eye out for your build log on the Ana.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a a few days since an update has been posted on the Monte, so here is a few pics of the work that has been done on her in the last few days. I try to spend at least an hour a day working on her, but most of the time, I spend hours working on her.

Now, I haven't decided on the light blue on the lower stem section or paint it brown or black where it blends in. The over all shot is just to give you an idea of just how big this model really is.

mike

post-13395-0-67657300-1468968457.jpg

post-13395-0-76594500-1468968465.jpg

post-13395-0-37597400-1468968477.jpg

Trying to fit the stern plate on. I HATE these metal stern plates. They are a real pain to fit on and try and get them to stay in place while the glue or epoxy dries. There's not much fudge factor here either with the way the windows on the stern fit. So it has to be pretty close. So what I'll do is place the stern plate on with nails and nail it to any wood that I can find, then leave the nails a little loose so that I can pull the nails back a little in order to get some epoxy in between the stern plate and the wood. But I will only glue it once I get the windows on the sides positioned to see if it looks correct or not.  

mike

post-13395-0-88378100-1470059823.jpg

Did a little more work on the cannon doors and have them all fabricated and some installed. I had ordered some of these 4mm nails from a doll house source I think on ebay a while back and after receiving them I wondered what in the world would I use such small nails for? I shrugged it off to an impulse buy, but then when I started applying the strapping to the cannon doors, I quickly realized that the 4mm nails were the perfect size for this job. A fellow whom I have done business with in the past and had purchased a few of my models was in the neighborhood and stopped by to see if I had anything available and asked to see the progress of the Monte. He fell in love with this model and asked me if it was for sale. I quickly replied nope and he threw out a figure that he thought would seal the deal and I told him again, it's not for sale for money, marbles or chalk. He couldn't believe that I was also building this model as a donation project as I did the Victory, which he also had wanted to buy, but not as much as him wanting the Monte. I told him If he liked and was wanting to throw money around he could offer to buy the display case for the Monte when it is finished. He wasn't to keen on that. But it's nice to know my efforts are worth a bit more than they used to be hahahahahahaha.

mike     

post-13395-0-86778500-1471214960.jpg

post-13395-0-23406400-1471214968.jpg

post-13395-0-23501100-1471214974.jpg

post-13395-0-81210600-1471214980.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been working on the side windows after a much needed break. But I have run into a snag. There seems to be too much space between the top side windows towards the stern plate. I added a small piece of white wood to the wood piece that the top windows fit into, But that isn't going to solve the problem. I will have to remove the metal rails, move them in with more of a tilt I think. I will have to play around with this a bit to see what I can come up with.

mike

post-13395-0-84153700-1472515153_thumb.jpg