HMS Triton (Cross Section) 1:48 by selittle

Are the frames going to be exposed?  If so, don't use plywood, you'll see the layers.   Look for a tight-grain wood.  Popular woods seem to be cherry, boxwood, pear, apple, (ok.. any fruit wood), maple.  It's really your choice.  I wish we had a Woodcraft where I live... or any woodworking store for that matter.  <sigh>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chery has seemed to work well for mine and Maple for the planking as such. I is really your choice. As Mark said a tight grained wood work well for model at this scale (fruit woods). Pick something you like and go with it, it is your model and you are the one to please. 

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome to the Triton Shipyards and a lot of fun and success with the build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali