Disk Cutter

I want a disk cutter that will give very small disks in metal.  I have tried a "scissor" type model with some success but it seemed to stop being effective after the first two copper disks. 

The Micro Mark has one called "micro punch set" which will make disks down to 1mm but it seems kind of pricey and seems to have some plastic in its build.  I have search and found no other metal disk cutter punches that will provide disks smaller than 1/8 Inch.

Does anyone know of any others that will create disks to the micro sized 1mm?

Has anyone used the micro mark and able to provide some feedback?

Finally,

I have considered making one. The idea of making custom sizes is appealing but do not think I have the tools or skills to build one.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Picture please.

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

What thickness of disc do you desire?  For 1mm diameter discs, I think could be very difficult to do.

Hmm, can you commission a trophy shop that has a laser engraver/cutter?  A laser can do fine work.

1mm metal disks on a laser would be difficult at best and it takes a certain type of laser cutter.  Most cutters won't do metal very well.  Photo etch is probably a better solution.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Try this one for limited production runs.  Perhaps it will work. (It will depend on the metal you want to cut the disks out of.)  Take a piece of tubing made of metal harder than the metal you want to cut your disk out of. (Or, at least, anneal the disk material, which you should probably do in any event.)  The tubing should have an inside diameter the same as the size of the disk you want.  Cut the tubing square across (or grind the end flat.)  Then grind the edge of the tubing at about 60 degrees, forming a sharp edge at the end of the tubing, which will be a circle the same size as the inside diameter, and hence the same size as the disk you want.  Put the tubing in your drill press.  (Put it far enough in the chuck that it will not "whip" or flex.)  Put your disk material on a block of wood.  Drill the disk material with the tubing "hollow point drill" you have made.  Apply pressure slowly and evenly, but not so much that you deflect the disk sheet material. (Rig an effective method of holding the disk material sheet.)  Use lubricating oil (WD-40 should be fine.)  You should be able to cut a disk the same diameter of the inside of the tube every time.  Keeping the cutting edge of the tube at right angles to the disk material goes a long way towards ensuring success.  When you've got enough disks, remove the tube and poke the stack of disks out of the "hollow point drill" tube.  I've done this frequently with a variety of materials, but can't ensure it will work with the material you are using.  The keys are having a harder "drill" than the material you are cutting and patience.

Roll Models sells the Waldron punch and die set (http://www.rollmodels.net/standard/show_detail.php?hileveldesc=Tools&manufacturer=Waldron). It seems to have better reviews than the micromart one.  It is even pricier, but goes well below 1 mm.  It does have a plexiglass die, but it looks like it is the punches that wear out, not the die. 

UMM tools (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8448-unique-master-models-tools/?hl=%2Bunique+%2Bmaster) sells some all metal ones (http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_145).

I haven't used any of them myself.  I plan to get a set eventually, but haven't decided between the Waldron and the UMM set.

Edited by davec

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

• 1 month later...

I wound up purchasing the Micro Mark punch set. And it is kinda crappy for the price. But on the other hand it does the job on thin stock and there are CERTAINLY times when you really need fairly small discs of varied sizes. I am always on the look out for a better method and more variety in diameters and there is that leather punch gizmo that has a wheel on the end with six points with punches ranging from 2mm up to 4.5mm. Also I found at the craft store this variation of the school paper hole punch, with a 1.5mmpunch and I also have another that is 3mm. The pink plastic handle sleeves have broken off but here is a photo. This thing comes in pretty handy I have to say, but will likely not punch through anything but thinner stock. I only use it on paper. But on the other hand, with objects this small, substituting paper is not going to be glaringly noticeable to the viewer.

post-3035-0-30286100-1455544823_thumb.png

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 3 weeks later...

HI all, 

I have been caught up in a massive "honey do" list and am just getting back to modeling.

Bob, I tried your solution using Stainless Steel 304 Welded Round Tubing, 1/8" OD, 0.093" ID, 0.016" Wall, 36" Length. I was unsuccessful.  After a few tries, and since it is the discs that I wanted more than the hole, I decided to try a disc maker. As Davec suggested I went to UMM. They suggested a unit so I ordered it.

As soon as I finish up this household chore, I will give it a try.  

Richard

Richard

When I was making the blocks for my Clara May project I needed also small 1,4 mm diameter discs. I couldn`t find anywhere suitable ones, so I decided to make my own punch. And this is how I made it:

I took suitable drill bit, in this case a 1,4 mm diameter. Drilled with it a hole into 6 mm thick iron stock. Then reversed the drill bit in the chuck of my milling machine so that the shank of the drill bit points down. The iron stock with 1,4 mm hole is tightened into the vice attached on the milling machine table, which is adjusted so that the drill bit can be lowered into the hole in stock. And voila, you have a 1,4 mm diameter punch and die set. And of course, when punching the discs/holes the milling machine chuck is NOT rotating, you just push the punch through the material you work with using the hand lever of the machine.

With this kind of punch it is possible to make holes/discs in thin sheets of soft metals like aluminum or brass, plastics, plywood, etc, and it has completely solved my problem. I hope you find it useful too if decide to follow this method.

1,4 diameter drill bit in the milling machine chuck with shank downwards. A piece of 6 mm iron stock with 1,4 mm hole drilled in it, attached into the vice and adjusted precisely below the drill bit:

post-17638-0-92264500-1457382589_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the punch:

post-17638-0-28669300-1457382913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moxis

• 4 weeks later...

I tried various suggestions and still could not get a "clean" disc. Probably a skills issue.

So I ended up purchasing one from UMM.

post-4218-0-20155400-1459331624_thumb.jpg

This worked well right out of the box.  The disc is the largest size using .016" thick brass sheet. I am wondering how thick I can go.  I hesitate to experiment our of concern for damaging the die.  There is a maximum thickness that the slot would allow but that probably does not mean it is a good idea.

Richard

Richard