Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

Thanks for all the fine comments and encouragements.

Build part 34

The cockpit area planks have been trimmed to withing a 1/64 of the cockpit stringer and the longest planks cleaned up a bit.

Now the planks are getting shorter and will go a bit faster.

All of the billets have been curved ready for splitting.

post-202-0-23062800-1455570572_thumb.jpg

gluing progresses

post-202-0-98944100-1455570570_thumb.jpg

Something I have been thinking about is to finish gluing all the forward planks including the king plank then do a preparatory sanding. Next using a razor blade like a putty knife and forcing a thickened glue into the remaining space for the caulking. I was wondering if anyone has thickened up the glue with the Costello dust and how it responded.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looking good, Micheal.

Many of us use that method for filling cracks and dings.  It takes a bit of testing with trial and error to get the consistency right.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for the likes.

Build part 35

I modified some small clamps that I made a while back, I took out the spring and added a short length of styrene tube, this enabled the clamp to close with a degree of pressure not easily available with the springs.

post-202-0-35540200-1455770076_thumb.jpg

the small diameter of the bent brass part allowed me to get into a pretty tight spot.

post-202-0-61491500-1455770077_thumb.jpg

After the planks were glued I gave a leveling sand ready for the filling.

post-202-0-67644900-1455770078_thumb.jpg

next I thickened up the coloured glue and spread it over the surface as if I was grouting tiles...... I won't do that again

post-202-0-68557700-1455770079_thumb.jpg

It was really hard scraping this all off my thumb is sore from the pressure.

post-202-0-78488700-1455770080_thumb.jpg

It looks OK not quite as good as I wanted... I am thinking about the next move....

post-202-0-87250200-1455770081_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

as I said earlier...

Michael, your standard is very good and we are our own worst critics. However, a picture can both enhance an hide what we consider defects on our builds.

I agree with John above though.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi Michae, I concur with above, the Deck looks fantastic to me 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

fantastic looking deck Michael,

also neat fitting to the "spine-plank"   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sometimes fantastic is "good enough".

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael,

I concur with with everyone else.  Add my vote to the "what does he mean 'not good'?" crowd.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your votes of confidence.

"what does he mean 'not good'?"

Mark this is what I mean

post-202-0-88922200-1455822388_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-06472400-1455822390_thumb.jpg

I had hoped that by spreading the thickened glue I would avoid having to go back and fill the low spots and pinholes. In order for the deck to take a good final finish it needs to be "flat" and not looking like an open grain.

Photographs can be brutal or deceptive in this case they were deceptive.

More rounds of scraping seem to be in the cards.

Michael

Ah.. I see, Micheal.    

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

wow

Michael...this is really great to see.  My current large scale build is plywood deck by design.  I did a king plank deck once but it was smaller scale bass wood planking.  You however are doing a big scale and a great job of it.  Thanks for sharing your 'grout' method.  a good lesson.

cheers 

Beautiful work as usual, Micheal.  As an alternative to the glue mix, have you considered using shellac.  I have thought of trying this, but have no done so.  I was prompted to this by the thought of shellac sticks that are/were used for finish repair.  Shellac adheres well, dries quickly, does not penetrate and is easily removed with alcohol.  Just a thought.  By the way, I love those clamps.  I have tried without great success - or enough effort perhaps - to make clamps of similar type that would work well.  Mine would need to be smaller and I may give them a try.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks everybody for the comments and likes they are appreciated.

Ed thanks for the tip regarding the shellac I shall see if I can locate some the next time I am in the city.

I am pleased that you like the clamps. here is a drawing of the ones I have made they can obviously be fabricated to a lot of sizes.

post-202-0-55863200-1455996201_thumb.jpg

small hook clamps.pdf

post-202-0-65146500-1455996750_thumb.jpg

The smaller ones in the top left will be followed up with some more using 2x56 threaded steel rod or even 1x72.

The spring version which I made first is not as useful, and more difficult to place I found. I am converting them all to the spacer type. I had thought about using some square rod in order to keep the rod aligned with the wood block, however in some cases it would be difficult to get them into tight spots. the ability to rotate the block adds a lot of flexibility.

post-202-0-05958300-1455996752_thumb.jpg

and with some different spacers, The hex brass stock is rounded on the ends to be easier on the fingers.

post-202-0-39616100-1455996751_thumb.jpg

Michael

build part 36

I have begun working on the aft deck substucture, I will build this deck as a sheet that can be finished off the boat then glued in. I have also lowered the aft end of the floorboards.

post-202-0-36101300-1455998197_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of having some gentlemanly fun with the small lazarette

For now I am going to leave the deck with a couple of coats of Tung oil.

post-202-0-20924600-1455998198_thumb.jpg

Michael

Very very very ... Just can not find proper words. Just perfect!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Looks fantastic, Micheal, in keeping with all of your work.  Thanks for the additional data on the clamps.  I will surely be trying these out - probablt smaller versions.  Thanks.

Ed

Michael,

Again a very lovely build, looks even better than your previous ... if at all possible ... especially when one considers the scale you are building at ...

Cheers

P.s. Don't forget to buy the alcohol to disolve the shellac ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Beautiful work, Michael. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Beautiful work Michael.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Ah, to be small enough to sail such a fine boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael,

When I saw the small clamps you made I wanted to ask for the plans. I'm happy to see you posted them -- they will come in handy! I'm loving this build by the way!

Edited by ggrieco

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

• 1 month later...

Wow five pages in. There is so much amazing shipbuilding going on in these five pages, so I had to do a lot of reading catching up as I scrolled down looking for my own. Oh I know there is a quicker way, but this was so much more fun and educational

Belated thanks to all the comments and likes that I missed here in the last month indeed a whole month has passed where does the time go?

In order to get my head back into the Herreshoff mindset if that is at all possible, I went to the catalogues of the replica hardware and looked at a lot of pictures for the rigging. 

I have made a start on the classic goose-neck that Herreshoff used for the small boats. The line drawing in the product catalogue shows that they were sized for 3 1/2 to 5 inch diameter. The printed off the page 7 sheet drawing of the goose-neck is exactly 5/8 inch in diameter which is the scale diameter as the low end of my mast. A great bit of serendipity.

After doing a small scribble in my sketchbook detailing the steps to create the piece in bronze and what cutters to use to rough out the form. Then rummaging around in the scrap box produced a small bar of said bronze about 1 5/8 inch long by 3/8 wide by 11/32 thick checking the cross section with the plan of the goose-neck it was just a little bit larger covering the plan view.

This first pic shows the drill chuck I took the picture after all the first steps of milling and drilling the hole for the pin, I do not want to give the impression that I used this chuck for milling, I have commented on this practice in previous posts, and never mill with the drill chuck. 

post-202-0-58269700-1458750329_thumb.jpg

In order then:

I set the bar vertical in the mill vice, and milled straight down with a 5/8 end mill so that it cut the resulting chord to match the edges of the 3/8 width.

The mill was retracted and the vernier dials on the mill were all set to zero, the end mill was changed to a 1/4 diameter mill then the edge was lined up with the opposite side and the in out axis reset to zero then offset first to the left by .172 inches next I took .020" cuts into the block for .250" this was repeated until I reached a depth of .3 inches, in retrospect I should have gone .350 deep.

The mill was returned to the starting point at zero and then offset to .172 and the same depth cut was repeated on the opposite side. again the mill was returned to zero and then changed up to the drill chuck all I had to do was reset the in out with a pointer to the edge so that I could index the piece in by .062" I then drilled it out to the .3 depth with a .047 drill after using a centre drill to ensure that the bit didn't wander. this concluded the first set up in the vice.

post-202-0-84564000-1458750325_thumb.jpg

the bar was reset horizontally so that the gap could be milled out, if I had had a T slot cutter this would not have been necessary as I could have slotted it while still vertical.

post-202-0-56815700-1458750326_thumb.jpg

I changed the chuck in the mill back to the milling one and set up a 1/8th end mill and milled the gap and a small relief at the top and bottom.

post-202-0-15611000-1458750327_thumb.jpg

Next I switched the bar back to the vertical position and carefully reset the position so that the .047" drill slid easily back into the previously drilled hole it is a bit nerve wracking but I needed to tap the hole in the bottom bar of the body 0x80 and I wanted to make sure that it was all in line, it is so easy to break these small taps the pivot pin for the boom will thread into this later.

post-202-0-86222500-1458750327_thumb.jpg

Now comes the work with the files and sanding stick of wet and dry paper. I cut off the milled end of the bar and clamped it in the precision vice. Remember I mentioned it would have been better to go to a depth of .350" on the first machining well the small tab is the reason. I had to file this extra bit off, it can be seen in the next picture. I used a small piece of 9/16 brass rod to act as a clamp jig.

post-202-0-91895500-1458750328_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, this evening I will continue with the filing.

Michael

Thanks for the compliment Druxey,  and thanks for all the likes.

Just a small update after filing the first side to a closer shape I needed to clamp the opposite side but the conditions were now different and it did not want to clamp the same as the first.

Here you can see that the base has been thinned down a lot.

post-202-0-41599300-1458794492_thumb.jpg

The solution was to soft solder the base to the 9/16 rod this will be helpful also when it comes to drilling the mounting holes for attaching to the mast.

post-202-0-71141000-1458794491_thumb.jpg

Michael