Bent drill bit

So I had done drilling and lost a one of the HSS drill bits in carpet, when I found it it looked like this.

Most of my bits going of like this has been broken.

Take a look and ponder about it.

post-967-0-68351900-1450930767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

What size is that drill bit? I have had a couple small tiny drill bits bend on me before.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I've bent some HSS at times and other times they break, but I find the carbide always break.  That one looks like it's been stepped on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought in order to bend a bit like this you need some heat..... maybe a carpet is good enough...

The length: oh sorry, total length only 2 3/4 inches ( about 6.2 cm) long.

​Could have been stepped on, never felt it though......

:huh:​  

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

It looks pretty thin then...  Did you run over it with a chair?  I've bent some #65's by stepping on them on carpet but then again, I'm a bit of a bull in a china shop.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you have a spot of flatness around, e.g. some steel or a granite countertop, then try rolling the bit between the hard surface and a piece of hardwood such as maple.  And even if you don't have a hard surface, then try rolling it between two pieces of maple for a while.  It might likely work for you.

You might also reduce the driving pressure when drilling -- let the bit do the work.

Edited by Bob Blarney

Try heating the bit red hot (hold it in pliers), and then stir it in vegetable oil to harden.  Let it cool.  Then bake in oven at ~400F for 30' or so.  

You can tell when it's hot 'n ready to dunk in the oil when it is no longer attracted to a magnet, but don't heat the bit beyond that point.

Edited by Bob Blarney

Bluenose2,

I think it will be much much cheaper to dispose the drill and get another one than having it re-shaped.

Think I could some 20+ drills for some the shop price, or even more... :)​ 

Respectfully

Jud,

I still have the drill, maybe I will try it someday.

Respectfully