Phantom by Elijah - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96 - New York Pilot Boat

That is a planking fan. You measure the distance you have to plank, generally one belt, and determine the number of strikes you will need for that space. Then you slide the marked tick strip (I use shredded paper from the shredding machine) along the fan until the number of strikes you want fill the space. The lines on the fan will be the strikes, and you transfer those lines onto your tick strip. You can then transfer those lines onto the hull. Thanks for the visit! Welcome to MSW!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Looks as though you are getting lots of good advice Elijah, I'll stay in the back and watch you carry on :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten a little bit done over the past week. I drew up, cut, and glued on my first two strakes. I have also decided on a planking pattern, and am preparing my third strake. You might also notice that I cut the rabbets for the bow and stern. Anyway, here are the pictures so I can get back to work!

post-14614-0-90941800-1465257989_thumb.jpg

post-14614-0-96835200-1465258603_thumb.jpg

post-14614-0-12716900-1465258158_thumb.jpg

So far, no steam bending has been necessary. I noticed that my second strake looks a little better than my first. My first is on the starboard side. It just goes to show how much I am learning! Spilling is definitely a long process, but I like what I see!

Thanks for any comments and advice! Until next time!

Edit: The planking looks worse in the photos :(! Darn 5 megapixel camera :D!

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

The first planks are always the hardest! It seems like you have developed a great habit in this hobby. You study the work to be done, work the the plan of attack then execute the plan! It works in this hobby as well as many other things in life. I am looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bill said what I was going to Elijah. You are doing a great job and seem to be finding a comfortable talent in ship modeling. Keep this work ethic up and I predict you will have a very sucessful future both in this hobby and in your daily life.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Good to hear from you!  As Bill says, the first one is the killer. And it is the one you MUST get right because everything else follows that.

Here's a thought for when you start spilling or try other tough tasks. A practicum I have states "choose your display side" and then do all your experimenting on the opposite side. For most displays you'll have one side facing the viewer. Put the experimental side to the rear. Do your first spile on the experimental side. Learn from that and then do the display side.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Elijah, Mikiek is giving very good advice there.  You should decide which side is going to be prominently displayed first, and use the other for experimentation/first build stuff.  Since I am also doing a first build, I decided my port side would be the most prominent, since the place I intend to display it shows it off better like that.  So I am doing most things on the starboard side first.  But this advice also needs to be taken with a grain of salt,  because planking should be done on both sides equally, from my understanding.  This is probably less important with a solid hull like you have, but with a POB or POF planking, it is important, I think. 

Like Bill and EJ said, the first plank is most important to get right.  Of course you can correct for it later, but that just makes for more work that really isn't necessary if you just get that first one right.  After that, make sure your wood is dry after you bend it before mounting it to the ship.  It is amazing how much wood can swell when thoroughly wetted.  Or you can use strictly a heat bending method, which insures the wood is dry, but this is a more delicate process and you have to be careful not to scorch the wood.  This is my preferred method, but wetting is also a good method, considering that the planks are very thin, and don't take much time in the water to saturate. 

Matt

You continue to progress nicely, with due dilligence and care.

Dang, that almost sounded intellectual! She looks good, Elijah. Keep on doing what you are doing!

I have a partially built one of these on the shelf - started it last year with my granddaughter. Will pull it back out when she visits in July and use your log as an aid, if you don't mind?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

To build on what Matt said in his preferred dry bending method. Unless I am bending very small items in very tight curves, I only wet the would lightly by dipping it under a faucet just prior to using the heating iron. I have even used a bit of spit if it is a very small area. This provides enough steam to penetrate the wood once the iron hits it allowing me to bend the wood and it is dry/gone within seconds. Using this method, I have not found the wood to retain enough moisture to shrink once it is on the ship.

This is my go to method for planks.

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Very nice work Elijah!  Getting that first strake of planks on takes time, but when done right, it makes for a good foundation for the rest of the planking.

I've taken a slightly different approach to fitting planks along tricky curves.  Spiling really helps, but there's still a need to bend the planks.  Near the bow, I usually soak the planks, pin them in place, and let them dry over night to avoid any shrinkage issues.  Essentially that helps pre-shape the planks making gluing much easier.  Depending on the nature of the curve, how thick the plank is, etc., after the plank has soaked, I'll sometimes manually flex the planks in my fingers a bit to help stretch and relax the fibers in the wood.  

So far this has served me pretty well on my Pegasus.  It stinks having to wait until the plank is fully dry, but having a little patience means the planks go on better and easier, and you avoid any gaps resulting from the planks shrinking if you try to glue them on right after soaking.  

I haven't tried using curling irons or crimping tools yet, but those are other methods of getting bends into your planks.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for all the help and comments guys! I will be using the plank bender for the first time for a tricky bend at the stern. I will pick the port side for display because that is the side I did the fist plank second, if you understand that. Would doing a plank on the starboard side, then repeating the same plank on the port work? That way, all the planks on the port side would be the second attempt of itself. What do you think?

Lawrence, welcome to my build! Thanks for coming! As for the build being in the scratch build forum, what would classify it as a scratch build? Thanks!

Wayne, thanks for the nice comment! You can use my log, but I'm not sure if I am farther than yours and your granddaughters build. I think I might have seen it somewhere on MSW, but I'm not sure where it is now. Isn't it named the Elsa? Have fun building her!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Trial side, Display side - 1st, 2nd .   There were some times I even did 3 strakes on the trial side before doing the display. Always be thinking ahead. Not just next plank, but next strake, even the one after that.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I am glad that you are proceeding well Elijah.  One of the things that Bob talks about in his talks about spiling and planking is use the wood that will work the best.  This makes the job easier.  Thankfully you have a hull that is not too extreme like an apple bow or exteme drag.

David B

Edited by dgbot

David makes a good point.  I think it would be hard to spile woods that tend to splinter.  Walnut and tanganyika come to mind - the strips in my Caldercraft Badger were hard enough to taper without splitting.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello again. I have planked the transom, and have added a couple strakes to the test side. I have decided for certain the planking pattern, and will implement it on the other side (port) after I finish the strake I am working on. Planking will be pretty straight forward. I will update again when I reach some milestone, but it might be a while. After planking is coppering, but that will come when it comes. I have come to feel like my phantom looks more boat like. I guess she just earned more respect from me, because I made her a cradle of sorts :D.

post-14614-0-74009200-1465957488_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-50538000-1465957517_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-39591200-1465957543_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-25487600-1465957570_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for any responses, they are always welcome! Until next time :)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Looking good Elijah, and that's a pretty fancy cradle ;)

looks like you are off and running with the planking. It is looking good. Good idea for the cradle also. It is nice when your ship stays upright so you can see how she looks without having to hold her yourself. Take your time with the planking and I look forward to seeing her when you have progressed some more.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Oops, did I accidentally show one of the little guys I have working for me :D? Thanks for the compliments, they are nice to read!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I noticed him, I think he is harmless but defiantly keep Bart out of the shipyard :P  :P

Why keep Bart out? HE did`nt do it...................

Hi Elijah

Nice progress done, keep it on going!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Transom is quite nice! That is a tough one.

Didn't realize you will be coppering. Are you going to fully plank first? If yes, I have one suggestion. After you complete your first band - the upper one - do the garboard and the first 2 or 3 strakes up from that. The garboard can be a bear - lots of twisting & bending depending on the hull shape. The first few strakes after the garboard can be tough also. The reason for the suggestion is you may need to readjust your bands after that.

Don't forget that like we soak and bend planks, you can soak and twist them as well. That sure helped me. The thing to remember is if you twist the strip clockwise for the port side you will need to twist it counter clockwise for starboard.

Thanks Mike! I will do the garboard and a few others after I get some more planks on the Port side.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Looking good Elijah!!

You are doing a great job.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Thanks!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Now if you were to leave your options open, I.e., not copper, especially when you appreciate the magnificent job you will do on your planking, you could do everything that Lawrence has suggested except use elastic bands and erasers to hold the wet planks in place and then to hold the glued planks in place, you would have nothing to lose. You can see my technique in my Victory build. Having said that I am not sure whether the set up work to achieve good band hold points would be worthwhile in your situation.

Best, Ian

Hey buddy - I agree with Ian. Consider showing your work and just keep the build all wood.