Phantom by Elijah - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96 - New York Pilot Boat

Elijah - Google sanding sticks. You'll find more than you ever imagined. All shapes & sizes.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Pencil or pen sanders is what they are more commonly known as. (My dad always called it a pencil sander so that name has stuck in my head) are small hand held power sanders that hold tiny sanding pads of various shapes and sizes designed to get into small areas. Proxxon is a common brand for this. Here is the Amazon link for one. https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-28594-12-Volt-Pen-Sander/dp/B000NDGUXU

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

We had a couple at work for repairing dies.  But I think it is overkill.  sanding blocks and using dowels and just take your tie.  You will be happy with the end result.  Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

David B

Make your own sanding sticks, for small ones take some 2mm x 2mm wood strips glue a few together then use double sided tape to fix sandpaper to them. You can make all sizes and shapes to suit your job :)

Elijah,

One option I often use is the heavy emory boards from CVS. These are found in the nail section and usually are about ½ wide, 5 or 6 inches long and have a course and smooth side and heavy foam between. These are great for disposable sanding sticks. They are stiff enough to do the job, yet flexible enough to follow the curves.

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

One other thing I meant to mention. When I was building the Connie I was not sure what the final base was going to look like. So I built a temporary base and screwed that to the ship to use during construction. Once I finished construction I carefully unscrewed the base and moved it to the new base. You can have someone assist you by balancing the ship so you have your hands free to align everything and remount. It was actually an easy thing to do.

The other side of this is it kept me from dinging up the base during the rigging process. It also allowed me time to think about what I wanted the base to look like after the ship was further along. She looks a lot different rigged.

Just a thought.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Elijah,

Proxxon make a beautiful small pen-sander that will enable you to sand in very tight places.  I have gotten a lot of use from it.  I believe that Micro Mark is a key distributor for Proxxon.  You should check them out for many different tools.

Bill

Elijah, I would suggest hand sanding. Power sanding on things already glued can be risky as you can sand more than you would like in no time. I think if you use 120 or 150 grit you ll get it done vey quickly and have better control.

I usually take cork sanding pads from DIY shops and slice them in pieces and load strips of sanding paper with flat head board pins. For concave staff, I just use any round object to load the sandpaper strips. 

Regards

Elijah,

A wise decision not taking the hull every few day's.

There is a option for that.

Buy another ship and leave them to that other home :D  :D 

Double fun !!!! :P

Looking good further.

Sjors 

The problem with leaving another ship at my other home is that there are two kittens constantly confined in my bedroom. I don't want to know what would happen to the ship in the rigging stage :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Now that's an idea :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Cats and models are not a good combination. A friend of mine came home from deployment and found his model railroad looking like the aftermath of a Godzilla attack. His train room now has a door with a lock on it.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Sjors:

You hit on the solution for those who dislike rigging.  I did so many repair and restorations that I said 'no more (extensive) rigging" and now I tell the guys that my latest tug boat had a lot of rigging - TWO flag halyards!

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I thought you might like that :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Elijah,

I swear by that Proxxon Pen-Sander, even for sanding parts that you have attached.  It comes with variable speed control, and the lowest settings are quite nice for such parts.  There are six different sanding heads ranging in shape from circular, square, rectangular, and triangular.  These heads are approximately 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch and are ideal for ship modeling.  I have used mine repeatedly on parts already affixed without difficulties.  It makes life much easier.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I will take a look at it. I have finished sanding the cap rail, and you can see some of the cleats I am working on. I sand the cleats, drill a hole in them, insert and glue in a wire, and then cut the wire to length. The wire adds strength to the connection to the bulwarks.

post-14614-0-42865100-1473732149_thumb.jpeg

Until next time!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Your rail looks nice and smooth. Good thinking on those cleats. That may save a headache or two later when you tie something off to them.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

As I approached rigging the Connie I was not sure how I would like it. I totally had experience in wood working before I started working on the ship, so I knew I enjoyed that type of work. Rigging was a completely new experience. One I enjoyed tremendously. It was a lot of fun. It really made the old girl look dressed up.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Hello again! Thanks for all the comments! I made and attached the cleats. I sanded them, drilled a hole on the center, inserted a wire, cut them to size, painted them, and glued them to the bulwarks. Next up will be eye bolts and hawse pipes.

post-14614-0-28728500-1473903570_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-68698300-1473903609_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-45561500-1473903633_thumb.jpeg

post-14614-0-24640900-1473903650_thumb.jpeg

Until next time!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Nice work Elijah. One suggestion - not on your work but on your photography. When you shoot small pieces like that, it can help to put a coin (or something) by them so we can get an idea of the scale you are dealing with. Those cleats look pretty small.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Sure! I will post a picture with a pencil sometime soon!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

A long pencil or a short one? :P

There is an oddity shop in my neighborhood that has things such as giant pencils :D! The one in the picture is not one of them though. My hull is about 9" long, or a bit longer than the average pencil. Here is the picture, as promised!

post-14614-0-84647100-1473988033_thumb.jpeg

Until next time!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of: