Mike Y

Replica: Poltava, 1712 Russian ship of the line

50 posts in this topic

I like that shot of the gundeck with the model of the ship sitting out in the middle of it.  A bit scary to have it there with all the construction and dust though.

It was put there for some movie shooting, as the cannon, etc. So temporarily, no construction work around.

And, frankly, I haven't saw any construction updates for a while, it is worrying! Hope the project funding was not frozen. 

mtaylor likes this

Few good videos released:

1) From inside the hull, various decks, planking, etc:

A part of the narrative is that the bow planking was too complex to bend, so they ended up laminating it from multiple thin planks, right on the hull.

2) From the rigging workslop, including capstan and boats:

Thanks for sharing this, Mike.  Excellent reference material and fascinating to watch as well..

PeteB, Chasseur and Mike Y like this

Fantastic....Excellent and a few more superlatives....!

Curious, do they have a use for all the sawdust collected???

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Tom

PeteB, Mike Y and mtaylor like this

Just to 2 new photos in the facebook group, not much... A lot of tours & events, but mostly silence when it comes to actually building the ship. Not sure what is going on with the project. The official statement is still "planning to launch in the mid 2017". Okay then!

post-5430-0-59342000-1481110429_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-78944100-1481110432_thumb.jpg

This one totally escaped my radar! 

Thanks for showing and all the marvelous pictures!

Wonderful to see, Daniel

Mike Y and mtaylor like this

Karl, Daniel, you are welcome! Pity that there are no new updates to show, looks like the project progress slowed down significantly... But it seems to be progressing.

mtaylor and PeteB like this

Hi Mike

I'm enjoying following your posts and think your photographs are excellent especially given the tricky lighting in some of the shots, so theres nothing to apologise for.

One other thing I find ....not unusual but refreshing is the age of the guys working on the project being a much younger breed than I am used to seeing who in many cases are old guys mostly volunteers struggling to hold onto the old traditions -The carpenter/artist carving the ships figures is a case in point - look at how sharp and true an edge he has on that part of the wheel he has finished freehand and he looks like he's just out of college:-). Looking forward to your next post - cheers pete

mtaylor and Captain Poison like this

Hi Pete,

Glad you enjoyed it!

Most of the people working on the construction are hired proffessionals (carpenters, etc), it is a regular pair fulltime job for them. There were around 100 workers on the project, fulltime employed. Not sure about the current number.

One of the biggest gas/oil companies of the country is funding the project.

It seens like the construction got slower, probably the funding was a bit slashed... Long story short - that company is famous for being corrupt from top to bottom, with share price dropping for many years, and the last blow was an oil price drop few years ago. So truly hope that the project would be completed, it would be a pity to abandon it on this phase.

mtaylor and PeteB like this

That's some model,Mike! The Facebook page has many excellent photos of its construction.

mtaylor likes this

How cool is that? I wish someone would  build a 74 though. I'd love to see what they're like to sail in real life. We've got smaller ones and the three deckers were a little cumbersome. A 74 would be very cool to see done like this.

mtaylor and Mike Y like this

Lots of new photos in the social network groups of the project this month!

Capstan:

capstan.thumb.jpg.3e71cf4261e8db195708ef937df45deb.jpg

Deadeyes:

dd0.thumb.jpg.f0f385ddcac4879f02b59aa5343037cb.jpg

dd1.thumb.jpg.86ca4d8d96d3e28c7b228247d9803570.jpg

dd.thumb.jpg.138ddd3cd7d9d1912ced3b2de1db5f5d.jpg

dd4.thumb.jpg.80cc6390cf146becb0f9eb189112b41b.jpg

dd5.thumb.jpg.2f0f8aaf0af15fe94639a2d8cf0cf30d.jpg

Bzc1ctVvXT0.thumb.jpg.508178566c0b6b0498a983be406ac474.jpg

Elijah, mtaylor and MEDDO like this