USS Missouri by PAnderson - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Hello, I thought I would post my progress of this great ship from WW2. I started this over a year ago, before I built mt granddaughters doll house and when I kind of got burned out on plastic. My love of wood kind of took over right about then.

Also, this ship came to a standstill when the wood deck I applied started to delaminate from the plastic deck. Too many attempts to lay it down because of mis-alignment errors and, probably, humidity issues in my workshop. I will have to tear it off and redo it when I get around to starting this ship again.

I added the Pontos photo etch set with turned barrels and all kinds of other goodies. Enjoy.

Here is the Pontos set and a couple of pics of the hull for scale.

post-719-0-60275700-1451315607_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-36724700-1451315615_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-96481700-1451315617_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-22791300-1451315620_thumb.jpg

And finally, here is the superstructure assembled but not glued yet. Painting would be next, before assembling to the deck.

This ship will commence again soon. First, I need to find out how to safely remove the old wood deck without too much damage. It doesn't need to be perfect because another wood deck will more carefully installed.

Paul

post-719-0-69898000-1451316913_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-68361800-1451316915_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-85562800-1451316917_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-88482300-1451316919_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-68668000-1451316921_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-86514500-1451316923_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-72989000-1451316925_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-21507300-1451316927_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-86009200-1451316928_thumb.jpg

post-719-0-98221900-1451316930_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

Amazing PE work!!!

Mind if I ask you a technique question re painting? After I finish my current 1/192 DD build I'm going to try my hand using an airbrush for the first time on a 1/350 resin kit. My question has to do with painting decks vs bulkheads and when to put on the PE.

Taking your superstructure area just forward of the forward funnel as an example: you have several areas where you have PE railings around the deck edges. Do you plan to paint the deck a darker color than the vertical surfaces? If so will you airbrush everything haze grey and then go back an brush paint the decks or will you paint the decks first, mask them, and then spray the vertical surfaces?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but I have seen a lot of builds (including "how-to" books) where an unpainted model has a ton of PE on it and the next photo in the sequence shows everything painted, including a different paint color on the decks yet it is never explained how it all happened.

thanks for any help.

Edited by schooner

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

One more question about glueing up PE. What type of glue do you use on multi-part PE builds like that delicate radar dish? Do you use the same glue to attach the PE to the plastic model?

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Hi Paul,

Amazing PE work!!!

Mind if I ask you a technique question re painting? After I finish my current 1/192 DD build I'm going to try my hand using an airbrush for the first time on a 1/350 resin kit. My question has to do with painting decks vs bulkheads and when to put on the PE.

Taking your superstructure area just forward of the forward funnel as an example: you have several areas where you have PE railings around the deck edges. Do you plan to paint the deck a darker color than the vertical surfaces? If so will you airbrush everything haze grey and then go back an brush paint the decks or will you paint the decks first, mask them, and then spray the vertical surfaces?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but I have seen a lot of builds (including "how-to" books) where an unpainted model has a ton of PE on it and the next photo in the sequence shows everything painted, including a different paint color on the decks yet it is never explained how it all happened.

thanks for any help.

Tim,

Thanks for the like. None of the sub assemblies are glued on yet. Everything will be painted prior to gluing. There is still parts of the wood deck that need to be applied. They will go on after painting and everything is ship shape and ready to go. This ship is being done as she was in Tokyo Bay for the signing of the surrender papers. She was newly painted haze grey above the main deck. Kind of easy except a lot of pre planning is needed.

But, she is in dry dock at the moment. Still a ton of PE goes on and I am arguing with myself whether or not to use it all or use some of the kit supplied parts (plastic). Some of it is not bad. Just asking myself how much is enough.

Paul

One more question about glueing up PE. What type of glue do you use on multi-part PE builds like that delicate radar dish? Do you use the same glue to attach the PE to the plastic model?

The PE is all glued with thin CA and applied with those fork shaped applicators. You can buy them at Micro-Mark. Very little glue is needed. Actually, the least amount is the best with CA. I read that a drop per square inch gives the best bond. Too much and the bond gets brittle. I also used medium CA for areas that had a wider surface area to glue. Yes, use CA to bond PE to plastic.

I hope I was helpful,

Paul

• The title was changed to USS Missouri by PAnderson - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC