mikiek

Tool for Shaping Brass Strip

45 posts in this topic

That does make sense John and is probably the direction I need to go. As Bill said, you don't want to beat 'em silly with a hammer. Just a few taps with a jewelers hammer.

mtaylor, Bill Hime and Canute like this

Hi Mike

I wonder if you cut a v out of the inner side of the corner, most of the way through, then folded it at that point....it would give a sharper corner & also hold itself in position for the soldering/brazing.

best, Mark 

reklein, mtaylor and Canute like this

Mark - when it is possible to do that I imagine you are right. As John mentioned earlier about scribing the line of the joint before bending. Anything to weaken that point should produce a better angle. The problem is a lot of what I have worked with lately is too thin to do much of anything to.

mtaylor, Mark Pearse and Canute like this

When I was doing the sheet metal part of my apprenticeship we used 'bending bars'. These were a set of hard steel bars about a foot long with each edge a different radius from square to a quarter circle of bar thickness radius. The metal sheet was clamped between the bars, which were held in a vice, and then tapped down over the required radius. There were different thicknesses of bars. Perhaps something like that could be made/bought/ borrowed.

Al

mtaylor and Canute like this

The main thing to remember is what are you using the metal for. As mentioned earlier the brass, copper  silver will all work harden you can experiment with this aspect by taking a small strip 1/6 x .010 fold it over in a vice or pliers and un-fold it then refold it it will get hard and brittle at the fold and if you do it too much it will break if you are using it for mast bands etc I would anneal it first use a small scrap of wood the same section as what you need the brass to wrap around to practice with.

I don't have the book described but have done a lot of work with brass over the last 50 or so years.

Michael

mtaylor, druxey, Canute and 1 other like this

Late to this post, but very relevant to me. As a beginner modeler I realize that I will have to learn about making metal parts from brass and that those parts will have to be well made if I want to build a quality model. My thanks to Bill (Reklein) for the book link. I just ordered it and it will be fun learning to make those small parts. Meanwhile I will continue admiring the metal work done by so many on this forum.

Canute and mtaylor like this

Oh, oh. I know what you mean Mike. I may have to read it, try out what it says, reread, try again, reread it and maybe I will get it eventually. That's the way it usually goes for me. Maybe I'm not alone.

Canute likes this

Just a follow-up to my last post on this subject. I did get the book. It has a lot of nice photos, but if you are looking for a 'how to' book then you will find this one to be a big disappointment. It is nevertheless a fun read a nice addition to any model library.

mikiek, Canute and BANYAN like this

A lot of this stuff mentioned also applies to both Copper and Aluminium (Australian Spelling) Both will work harden with repeated bending. Copper does require annealing for it to be made soft, I suppose Al does as well. personally I have not done this.

Canute and mtaylor like this