Santa Maria 1492 by GabeK - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:65

TESTING: Asking MSW members to help make a decision about my model  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion about the forecastle on the AL Santa Maria? (you can make more than one choice)

• Keep it. Build it just like the AL plans
    • Keep it. But modify it. (I will post my suggestion)
    • Take it off. Build it like the plan in your post.
    • Take it off. But modify it. (I will post my suggestion)
    • I'd rather have some ice cream right now.
    • I'd rather have Crackers buy me a beer.

In the, "I can't believe I'm doing this" category...

Ok...on so many levels I have really put my foot in it this time.  For a few years now I had it in mind to build models for my sons when they graduate from university.  For my oldest, Christopher, I want to give him the Santa Maria.  For my youngest, I intend to build the Matthew.  (His name is William...no, just kidding.  His name is Matthew.)  I also thought I would scratch build them at a standard scale or, at the very least, I would make nice ships in bottles.  I've got a book on the Matthew and found some online plans.  I bought some plans for the S. Maria on eBay - fairly old, Italian plans (funny - I just saw someone post a picture of the boat from this plan for someone who wanted to bash his AL Santa Maria!)  However, about a year ago I spotted a good deal and picked up this kit.  I'm not very knowledgeable about the ships in this period and I'm not terribly interested in them, so I was going to just follow the instructions on this model when the time comes. 

Well, I came to a big realization this week:  My son is just a few months away from graduating!

[gulp]  :o

Trouble!

Where had all the time gone?!  I pulled the box out from my pile (I haven't bothered to list my "on the shelf" models - it would take too long!), took a good look at it and said, "I think I can do this...but I will DEFINITELY NOT BASH THIS KIT!"  

[sigh]  :(

So, I decided to start this kit.  

I put away my Harvey (haven't started the log on this one, yet...I began building it before I found MSW), stopped the work I was doing on my HMS Titan and opened up the Maria.  I've been looking at the model and the instructions...checked out a couple of logs here...Ok...I can do this...but I will DEFINITELY NOT BASH THIS KIT!"

What am I doing!?

Well, my son is celebrating his 22 birthday today so I thought, "Today's the perfect day to start the Santa Maria"  

This is the first laser-cut kit I have encountered and I am impressed with how easy it was to cut away the parts from the sheets.  Nice tight fits for the bulkheads.  I only had to work on two slots to get the bulkheads to fit flush with the top of the false keel.  It took me a very short time to glue up the bulkheads.  All except one were square when I pushed them into their slots on the keel.  

post-3853-0-11796300-1451543485_thumb.jpg

Ok...good start.  

Except...I was studying the photos and the plans in this kit some more and I just didn't like the look of the ship.  The forecastle looks odd to me...there doesn't seem to be enough ladders to get up and down the decks...some of the rigging looks wonky.  I kept thinking of the modeler who was looking for authentic boat plans...so...I pulled out those old plans I had bought.

[Grrr!]   :angry:

Big mistake.  

post-3853-0-81559600-1451544612_thumb.jpg

I like the look of the Santa Maria in the older plans!  I don't know which is more accurate - but accuracy is not bothering me.  Well, not too much.   So,...I...might...bash...this...kit.  

But, I have an idea...

I'm going to ask the wonderful people here at MSW to help me decide.  I'm going to put some of the changes I'd like to make and you let me know what you think.  [Oh...I think this model will now be a house warming gift for my son  :rolleyes: ]

[big breath]  :piratebo5:

Here goes:

Biggest decision right now...

High, Railed Forecastle - keep it or drop it?  

post-3853-0-53035200-1451545894_thumb.png

post-3853-0-56466500-1451545511_thumb.jpg

post-3853-0-83855600-1451545610_thumb.png

Looking forward to your input.   Several more decisions to come as needed.

Kind regards,

Gabe

Edited by Gabek
Title changed to "FINISHED"

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Here's a test of the polling feature in this content editor.  Checking to see if I can get your votes on how to build my Santa Maria.  Thanks for you input!   :)

Current builds:

Completed:

Happy to oblige you, Crackers!  I modified the poll.  

FYI - I saw the little line in the editor about making a poll so I'm giving it a try.  I'm still a little shaky on how to use the poll...it looks it always shows up first in your topic.  Editing it is a little strange.  We'll see how this works.  

Clear skies!

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

Gabe, if you absolutely, positively have to have it for a graduation presentation, build it out of the box. ;)

The fittings and deck furniture are different enough from the the 18th-19th Century boats you've worked on that you may want a little extra time to do up the blocks, etc. For reference, I have an AL La Nina in the stash; it's a 2 masted lanteen rig. The blocks are somewhat different. Rearranging the forecastle will eat up time. See Moonbug's build: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4923-santa-maria-by-moonbug-artesania-latina-bashed-completed/?hl=%2Bsanta+%2Bmaria+%2Bmoonbug He did bash the stern, but I don't think he did it all in 6 months. :)

It's ultimately your decision. If it bothers you too much, get another kit and do it up right. After the graduation party. :D :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

A great book, if you don't have it is The Ships of Christopher Columbus, by Xavier Pastor.  It goes into great depth evaluating the different interpretations of the ship (forecastle and no forecastle).  Also, it has a lot of information about the rigging and small details.  It has great drawings to help you as well, so I highly recommend you get it.

By the way, Pastor seems to lean towards the pro forecastle point of view.

Edited by rschissler

Current Build: Golden Hind - Mamoli - Galleon 1580

Thanks, Ken and rschissler!

Great advice, folks!

I had checked out Moonbug's blog (say that five times real quick!) and I really like some of the mods he made...he's gone with the highrise fo'c's'le. So I am putting that down as a +1 vote.

I checked out that book on amazon.ca...cheapest was $107, up to $505! I checked out our libraries and no luck...besides, if I do get that book I won't finish this model for at least 5 years! But, if Pastor leans toward the big fo'c's'le then that will be another +1 vote for.

I am going to head down to my cave and build me a high fo'c's'le caravel!

Stay tuned for the next decision...

Regards and thanks again,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

• 7 years later...

Give 'er! 

This great and useful Canadian phrase is always used as an excited exclamation to "go for it", "floor it", "do it" and that’s exactly what I'm going to do…at last!  Inspired by fellow Manitoban @knocklouder and fully embarrassed at not only missing my son's graduation but also his wedding I figured I've GOT to finish this gift before our first grandchild is born…which should be this July!    

So, here it is…I'm going to just give 'er!

Feb 7, 2023.  7 years late! Dusted off the model and got organized.  Planked the separate poop deck and then glued it in place.  Prepared a message for inside the cabin.

065F2592-4DA1-415C-BEE0-716299E7902B.thumb.jpeg.ec72c6eca600f2707ca8e55d30a46fcd.jpeg
Feb. 8: closed up the cabin.

136C68D5-6507-4095-92C3-53723C048086.thumb.jpeg.ed49b611993e80d11ef72761d0c9a720.jpeg

Feb 9-11: Began the first layer of planking.  I am not a fan of this method because it is so historically inaccurate, but I'm not arguing or changing.  I realize that this is just to establish the shape of the hull.

C14EDAF1-E210-45B5-BBBE-5B9C04AA782E.thumb.jpeg.8e9957e831fb9ff177e145c1f60ae831.jpeg

Feb 12: completed first plank layer:

CA8AA6E9-D2A3-44E9-8395-04A16BF4B780.thumb.jpeg.a94edd3eb7ee604809a39f0df6abedfe.jpeg
Feb 13:  sanding the hull. 

CAD054C1-0EF0-4AA8-ACE6-03F5FE8FE83D.thumb.jpeg.9cecea5d97ff31918b69226099e5a234.jpeg
Feb 14-15: applied wood filler, sanded and filled in low spots.

C6ED6F22-4589-45BD-BBB8-586F8F954428.thumb.jpeg.204c0edb087aae74e0f30b303bbec34e.jpeg
Feb 16:  drew in station lines and closed in the transom.  Used a storage bottle to help clamp the planks of this curved feature. 
5F6ABA5B-2A59-4C3D-AEE0-4E1A169A46BC.thumb.jpeg.8ee5a93a4710c4399f4745955f29c5d6.jpeg

Here’s to just givin' 'er!  A very productive week. 
- Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

You see that was not so hard all you had to do is start. Looking pretty good , now I suppose you be to busy to come over  LOL 

As I recall there is a lot of rat lines to do on the Santa Maria , but just give'er , you be done in no time  🤣

Glad to see you back in the shipyard.

Bob M.

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome back home, Gabe.   At this rate you'll be done in time for the grandbaby.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

https://www.amazon.com/Ships-Christopher-Columbus-Santa-Anatomy/dp/1557507554

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31405429196&searchurl=isbn%3D9781844860142%26n%3D100121503%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Here is another link to the AotS book at $55. :) 

When you receive the book, your question about the forecastle will be solved. Oh, I can't wait to show you a cheat sheet. The AL Santa Maria is a type of Nao based 1990 replica, which is one of the three kinds of Santa Maria in the AotS book. The plan you bought before may be a galleon Santa Maria. They are very different ships. Good luck on your build!

Edited by modeller_masa

On 2/17/2023 at 1:48 AM, Knocklouder said:

You see that was not so hard all you had to do is start. Looking pretty good , now I suppose you be to busy to come over  LOL 

As I recall there is a lot of rat lines to do on the Santa Maria , but just give'er , you be done in no time  🤣

Glad to see you back in the shipyard.

Bob M.

Thanks, Bob! 
I'm thinking this will be finished, everything willing, just as the snow melts…perfect time for a visit! 
Clear skies and sharp tools!

- Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Welcome back home, Gabe.   At this rate you'll be done in time for the grandbaby.

Thanks, Mark!  
Good thing the wood is REALLY patient with me!

Kind regards,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

15 hours ago, modeller_masa said:

When you receive the book, your question about the forecastle will be solved. Oh, I can't wait to show you a cheat sheet. The AL Santa Maria is a type of Nao based 1990 replica, which is one of the three kinds of Santa Maria in the AotS book. The plan you bought before may be a galleon Santa Maria. They are very different ships. Good luck on your build!

Thank you very much for this reference and information, Modeller_Masa!

I'm so sorry to say this, but if I get this book I'll end up buying 4 more on the Santa Maria and taking at least another 7 years to finish this model!  🤣.  I just have to get this model finished.  THEN I will totally indulge my obsession with researching ships!  
Kind regards,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

• 3 weeks later...

The baby is coming, LOL. You must have an update, the snow melting lol.  :cheers:

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

I've build this AL kit as well and had lot's of fun with her. Excellent for bashing, and I did plenty of that....so I'll go for the beer and crackers. ☺️

If you like to have al look, my buildlog is on this forum, just look it up.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by Katsumoto

Yes Gabe definitely look at @Katsumoto log it's fantastic.  I only found his log  when I was almost finished  my Santa Maria. His work and how he explains it was really helpful.  He really made me up my game on knot tying. It shows on my Pinta. It's way better but I still got lots to learn.   He is a master that's for sure. And he might be able to help you Pick up the pace lol   Give'er    :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder

10 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

I've build this AL kit as well and had lot's of fun with her. Excellent for bashing, and I did plenty of that....so I'll go for the beer and crackers. ☺️

If you like to have al look, my buildlog is on this forum, just look it up.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks, Peter, I have read your log!  I was very close to copying almost everything you did - just wonderful modifications through and through.  However, I'm going to hold my nose and just plow through this model quickly. It won’t be pretty…[sigh]

- Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

[Holding my nose]

In between moving my younger son and hosting THREE sets of out-of-town visitors I still managed to plug along with the model over the last few weeks.

My original plan was to actually spile the second layer of planks so after attaching the keel and stem post I carefully marked off the hull as per Chuck Passaro's tutorial.  I have several sheets of walnut veneer that would do the job…I thought.  
8C1E5B92-CCB6-4465-A503-398B2B47218B.thumb.jpeg.5d14285269c19794f905e99da0657378.jpeg

Marking and transferring the shapes to the veneer went easily enough and the first planks on either side went well, but I ended up having a lot of trouble cutting veneer consistently and smoothly for the subsequent planks.  I tried cutting with both a rotary veneer cutter and an xacto knife but I just could not produce planks that fit tightly.  I found sanding and shaping veneer was an exercise in frustration, so I peeled off those first planks and [holding my nose] began throwing on the walnut strips from the kit.

17BC990A-75BA-4532-84C5-07030A4A3035.thumb.jpeg.49046a60df9d6d6a2ed4cdec9ce9ebb1.jpeg
My younger son came to see how I was doing on the model and I told him, “I feel like I'm building a house but I'm putting the doors in wrong…and know it!”

While waiting for glue to dry I planked the forecastle deck…and managed to skew the planks slightly off centre. 😡 ( I won’t say anything if you don’t! 🤣)

36902266-930F-4331-AAF3-DBC61FC6E11F.thumb.jpeg.b57078283e53de4cf086e34e43859fbe.jpeg

Well, that's all I gave 'er this time.  

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Edited by Gabek
Typo

Current builds:

Completed:

• 3 weeks later...

Second time around…

A bit of a delay on the model due to a bout of Covid…it went ok for me but a week disappeared.  🤒

Once I got back to the workbench I finished the second planking and, while waiting for glue to dry, continued with the forecastle deck.  Finished sanding the hull today.  It turns out that I'm getting pretty good at installing planks incorrectly! 😝

5045BE7C-08B5-4F67-92B0-1F5D170E3BB6.thumb.jpeg.410343c2903cc988fe485c4261c04abc.jpeg
4D5D2212-3060-49D9-A67F-7B18654FE2D6.thumb.jpeg.b70934d92db0d9708a7c20e4b9dfb37b.jpeg
I have a few repairs on a couple of corners and I'll fill a couple of small gaps with sanding dust I collected.
Clear skies and sharp tools, everyone!

- Gabe

Edited by Gabek
Typo

Current builds:

Completed:

Looking good,  you can mark the planking up to,    on my next ship. But I am pretty sure that your grandchild  will   not look at it and say nice but you did not follow  Chuck Passaro's tutorial did you lol.

great progress  . Give the engin a couple of revs before given 'er.  PS you know we need a doctor  note to cover your time off lol   :cheers:

I just had to post this update before @Knocklouder sends me a "gentle" reminder! 🤣

Got quite a bit done, including dropping the model and breaking off the stem! 😡😭 Fortunately, it’s a clean break and I'll reattach it as I get close to finishing the hull.  In my zeal in sanding down the completed second layer planks I managed to round off a few corners, especially on the poop.  I decided to patch these up.  Looks much better.

I'll just post the pictures now and stop socializing before @Knocklouder sends me a "gentle" reminder!  🤣

77C153C4-B8CD-49B8-A1F0-1CD756848700.thumb.jpeg.b4e0906a2750efad365b652676e2c318.jpeg
92D1D3A9-F1F0-4DAE-8B07-7B1393D54C21.thumb.jpeg.fb1a07ba38884cb2594ea60074438d9d.jpeg
984F9A34-C4CC-4A31-B7B7-D59A2D6125FC.thumb.jpeg.786881e9f40494c65bb4afdf2f34793c.jpeg
6FDBF86C-C672-4391-BCC5-5F3A453EE302.thumb.jpeg.37b8ed5ab78ac313f6593cc7e78e8e1e.jpeg
EDA08FB2-32E7-416A-8E4A-B713AB935501.thumb.jpeg.bfe0ccc090125d03603adde25a8391d8.jpeg
051C0E4F-0F58-4D64-BE53-21B2C9748109.thumb.jpeg.3098adf0b4c9315972dec16511d804e5.jpeg

- Gabe

Edited by Gabek
Forgot a photo

Current builds:

Completed:

Like a tic on a hound buddy lol. Great job on the planking.   Masts, rigging,  sails, and the  life boat. A bit of sealer your done

Ooh yes yardarms too, no pressure you'll get there. Even if I have to get a few more members to help me prod you along, that child will get their ship lol.

Your doing a great job, save some in the  tank for the end , but Give'er   :cheers:

Ps you could post at a more reasonable hour lol.

Edited by Knocklouder
Typo of course

• 2 weeks later...

Hull is done

Besides a few days off due to back issues, I still managed to add trim, fenders, and rails.

5B4545CA-218E-4302-A707-E5CB064C7B3A.thumb.jpeg.d63fd0c3d7580acfb89fe397733e0af5.jpeg
8E44BAEE-B8A9-4375-9DD8-601AD815CA39.thumb.jpeg.6044e96223d3734fd5540e6e3ce5085f.jpeg

I soaked the plywood for the forecastle bulkhead and formed it around a piece of ABS drain pipe that was the perfect diameter (forgot to photograph it). After drying, I installed it and planked over as per instructions.  I’m glad that I looked ahead in the “instructions” because I discovered two hawse holes that needed to be drilled in the interior forecastle bulkhead, which would have been much more difficult had I not done so now.  Ideally, these should have been drilled before installing the curved forecastle bulkhead.  

28949B9C-0DD3-42A1-9058-A13CCDE387FA.thumb.jpeg.d67d3b9f826e87a92c063890b84e5fce.jpeg

I sanded, scraped, patched and cleaned the model.  Reattached the broken stem.  Varnishing will happen next. Then on to deck furniture and fittings. 

149A75D2-18E5-464F-A255-226F22DD0A92.thumb.jpeg.8a895acadb6a03ce19558944ae06bfaa.jpeg

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

Looking great my friend , petal to the metal!! your going to make it 👀 we be whatchin  :cheers:

2 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

👀 we be whatchin  :cheers:

And that’s what keeps me up at night! 🤣

Current builds:

Completed:

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress…

I decided it was time to mount the hull on a permanent stand before adding any dainty stuff.  I ended up making a cradle using off cut wood with personal history to the kids: Brazilian cherry from the in-law's home and maple leftover from our flooring.  
IMG_7033.thumb.jpeg.3cc04fe6c1777d7e2733c92ced03ae19.jpegIMG_7037.thumb.jpeg.ada2ce321a745f39c93b0d81e20e95c1.jpegIMG_7038.thumb.jpeg.ddf7dbca6650f96491436b48e2612f4f.jpeg
I gave up on the kit-supplied gudgeons and pintles and made my own.  I know, I know…I said I wasn’t going to do any bashing.  I just couldn’t help it.  They’re ok. Completely inaccurate and fanciful.  Don’t tell my kids!  

IMG_7063.thumb.jpeg.c554baa8752f95a40fb70026b3fb070b.jpeg

Postscript:

Dear Artesania Latina,

The photo instructions in your Santa Maria kit show the gudgeons and pintles installed upside down.

IMG_7064.thumb.jpeg.1814f7f826afbbc55c4c79715bfbcfe3.jpeg

Current builds:

Completed:

Looking good my friend!! !!  :cheers:

Headaches and bling

(AKA Railings and deck furniture)

Because of the cant in the stanchions I thought it would be better to build the railings on the model.  I was quite proud of using popsicle sticks as spacers…but the glue wasn’t doing its job! 😡Gel CA with clamps and the horizontal pieces still kept snapping away.  I think it was because I had only installed the corner stanchions.  I had less trouble once I installed all the stanchions, which were drilled on the bottom and pins glued in for accurate positioning and strength.

IMG_7092.thumb.jpeg.504ff1a9a913b0ec456290f090508ece.jpeg
I worked my way forward adding bits and pieces.  The whole quarter deck rail was built off the ship because all the pieces were 90 degrees and easy to square up.  I also tried out a new glue: Aleene's Tacky Glue.  Anyone here have some reviews on it? My big concern is longevity.  

I enjoyed fitting the channels but was really amazed at how I managed to clamp them: chopsticks across the bulwarks with elastic bands slung under the hull hooked on each outboard end.  I was able to control the pressure perfectly without pushing the channels out of position or out of square.  (Sorry, no photo). 
IMG_7093.thumb.jpeg.2654662b38609a39cfd223f7ecb8a859.jpeg

Dear Artesania Latina,

The capstan is a nice touch, but it would have been much easier to install BEFORE the quarter deck was in place. Furthermore, it will never be seen again - so why bother?  (And there wasn’t enough brass for the bars) 

- Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

Amazing  progress SO far. It is really taking shape.The grandchild will love it. As for the poor pintles and the poor capstan from AL, let's stay focused on the task at hand lol. Happy  thoughts Happy ship lol.

PS no photo didn't happen lol   :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒