HMS Victory 1805 by Robert29 - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72

Superb work and I love the idea to use the small spirit levels, I'll be taking that one on board.

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the likes and thank you for your nice comment Nigel.

Upper gun deck planking ready.  Since I had to remove quite a bit from the lower edge of the inner bulwark pattern to align the gunports I have also added a strip of basswood all around the upper edge of the inner bulwark pattern to bring it to the right level and to avoid any problems in planking its sides.  As for the treenails I was not sure if to do them or not.  I decided to do them.  I think the deck looks better with them.  I just marked a dot lightly with a pencil after the first varnish coat.

IMG_0893.thumb.JPG.43c769cde16559797732baf07d1a7e56.JPG

IMG_0896.thumb.JPG.9213b8fcd09ea8d0ec68662c1cd6fd69.JPG

IMG_0899.thumb.JPG.8b043eca30734d6f7a4acdca8f5c280d.JPG

IMG_0894.thumb.JPG.8c3becc9f0c7b7d360783440b9f9fc96.JPG

Next step is the planking of the inner bulwark pattern

Robert

Edited by Bertu

Lovely to catch up on your build, must look at mine again soon

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the likes and thank you Kevin for your comment. Looking forward for your Victory updates.  Your work is lovely.

A small update:

I finished the planking on the top gun deck inner bulwark, still needs sanding. I painted the first lower plank before fixing so that I have a clean cut line from the deck.

IMG_0910.thumb.JPG.876a589d6e4c31b0e2eee28a70385c22.JPG

IMG_0923.thumb.JPG.7920b463e2f992a05320abceb7df5e72.JPG

IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.07a8332ebd39cfd922fe5bbb557f1ef9.JPG

IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.07a8332ebd39cfd922fe5bbb557f1ef9.JPG

Started work on the outer gunport pattern planking.  Planned how many planks go in and what tapering and bending they need.

IMG_0915.thumb.JPG.81674d7c7e41839ee6bef5ca760532b3.JPG

IMG_0917.thumb.JPG.dcfc4c39d07ef52cbab447f6b721918d.JPG

IMG_0918.thumb.JPG.8b3905097c718ba0c8726477ea043c92.JPG

Width for individual planks calculated and marked on the patterns.

IMG_0921.thumb.JPG.8c91d0c2e806bd8754ab5c95fc880936.JPG

In the coming days hopefully I will start the planking and continue with the wales.

Robert

Edited by Bertu

• 1 month later...

Thank you Graham.

Another update, moving slowly.

Wales all finished and gunport linings for the upper gun deck finished as well.  Next step is the gunport linings for for the lower and middle gun decks. I have a feeling it is not going to be easy at all. When I finish the linings I will fill the space between the planks in the lower part of the hull and finish.

For the upper gun deck linings, the walnut strips (1mm x 16mm) supplied with the kit was impossible to use.  The thickness which was supposed to be 1mm was under 0.8mm and apart from that it was very brittle.  More often than not, it kept splitting in two while trying to trim to size.  Had to order some new ones with the right thickness.  Worked out fine.  

P1000759.thumb.JPG.7145cf5a28df295bb8b7387208c1e0e3.JPG

P1000760.thumb.JPG.a28d890f767a998f2af714385132570e.JPG

P1000761.thumb.JPG.9071df21f2cd7b98f85e950ffc4d6486.JPG

P1000763.thumb.JPG.f05da81d561d0342292ef01423afdf07.JPG

P1000764.thumb.JPG.b05fadaf915b40c911d73f0bbb2dad86.JPG

P1000766.thumb.JPG.76919d0b8b10dc9b364ea5bbc835dda8.JPG

P1000770.thumb.JPG.c7466df4f4ee3a32521679ec281121ca.JPG

Regrads

Robert

Robert,

You are doing a beautiful job on the Victory! Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship through your posts, I am enjoying watching the ship take shape. I noticed that you have installed the windows on the galleries; did the window materials come supplied in the kit, or did you use something else?

Thank you,

Donn

Thank you Heinz, and thank you for the likes.

Donn,  thank you for your comment,  much appreciated.  The material I used for the quarter gallery is all the once supplied with the kit.  I can't really complain for the wood supplied with the kit.  Up to now the only strips I had to change was the walnut 1mm x 16 mm which is used to line the gunports.  It's thickness was 0.8mm instead of 1mm and very brittle.  It kept splitting in two easily whist trying to trim it down to size.  But otherwise the rest was very good.

Robert

Edited by Bertu

Robert, thank you for your response. On rereading my question I realize that I was not clear as to the information I was seeking, I apologize. I should have asked, about material used to mimic the window "glass". Was that material supplied in the kit, or did you use something else? Thank you Robert, you are doing a splendid job!

Ah, sorry Donn,  I haven't fitted the glass yet.  In the instructions manual it tells you to stick a piece of transparent plastic (cut from a sheet supplied with the kit) on the inside of the gallery, but I didn't like the idea as this was going to leave a gap between the plastic and the brass window frame.  I intended to cut a piece of plastic exactly the size of the brass window and fix it in the indent on the gallery skin.  I know this is going to create another problem for me as now with the extra thickness of the plastic the brass frame is going to protrude further out from the gallery quarter gallery skin, and this is not going to look good.  I think I will find a thinner plastic sheet and maybe deepen a bit more the indent on the gallery skin.  If it comes to the worst I think I would have to cover the gallery skin with some thin planking to gain that extra bit.  This problem is only on the side gallery as the stern is different, it has two fascias and the plastic is sandwiched in between. I have to do some thinking how I am going to finish it.  If I am not clear please let me know and I will try to explain better.

Robert

Robert, thank you! Based on your recent pictures, I thought you had installed the glass, but after a closer look I can see that I was fooled by lighting and old eyes. That said, whatever you decided to do relative to "glass" installation, I am sure it will look great. I am enjoying your building log, thank you for taking the time to share it with the model shipbuilding community.

• 1 month later...
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Bertu said:

Thank you for the likes and thank you for your nice comment Nigel.

Upper gun deck planking ready.  Since I had to remove quite a bit from the lower edge of the inner bulwark pattern to align the gunports I have also added a strip of basswood all around the upper edge of the inner bulwark pattern to bring it to the right level and to avoid any problems in planking its sides.  As for the treenails I was not sure if to do them or not.  I decided to do them.  I think the deck looks better with them.  I just marked a dot lightly with a pencil after the first varnish coat.

IMG_0893.thumb.JPG.43c769cde16559797732baf07d1a7e56.JPG

IMG_0896.thumb.JPG.9213b8fcd09ea8d0ec68662c1cd6fd69.JPG

IMG_0899.thumb.JPG.8b043eca30734d6f7a4acdca8f5c280d.JPG

IMG_0894.thumb.JPG.8c3becc9f0c7b7d360783440b9f9fc96.JPG

Next step is the planking of the inner bulwark pattern

Robert

p

Please Please Please get your joggling correct

You have done a superb job of planking the deck and tree nails BUT It should be joggled 4 apart NOT 2

You should get away with the gun deck but Not Quarter Forecastle or Poop

Again if you are going to mark the tree nails at least make sure each plank end is accompanied with the corresponding  treenails next to each other

Nearly all model instructions get this wrong and its  a bad error that is easily done properly

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, DonnRW said:

Robert,

You are doing a beautiful job on the Victory! Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship through your posts, I am enjoying watching the ship take shape. I noticed that you have installed the windows on the galleries; did the window materials come supplied in the kit, or did you use something else?

Thank you,

Donn

Richardjjs

Thank you for your comments and thank you for your information, but to be honest I cannot understand what you mean when you are referring to the deck planking and say ‘BUT it should be joggled 4 apart NOT 2’.  The planks on my model are laid in a four butt system, the end edge of each neighbouring plank is offset by 1/5 of twice the length of the planks. Four planks separate the plank ends where they meet edge to edge.  Isn't that what you mean by ' 4 not 2'. Am I missing something?

Also you stated ‘Again if you are going to mark the tree nails at least make sure each plank end is accompanied with the corresponding  treenails next to each other’.  What is the difference from what I did on my model to what you are saying?  Again, am I missing something?

Richardjjs, I would appreciate if you clarify this for me, or maybe another member of the forum who has more knowledge and know how than me on this subject enlighten me if the four butt system is the correct one for the HMS Victory, and if so,  are my deck planks laid in the correct way?

This is an image of the HMS Victory deck planking.  On my model I only marked the treenails on the edge of each plank as I thought that if I mark the once in between as well it was going to be too much.

IMG_20170923_112158.jpg.6ccd54121108748d276723fe00c940b9.thumb.jpg.21068f93e7ef5eb38d1d5340c910bb09.jpg

Rich (Archicar), I hope you don’t mind, I borrowed this image from your great set of photos you took and placed in your log. If you do mind I will remove it.   They are great pictures and found them very helpful. Thanks.

Robert

Bertu, Your build is coming along great, Love the wood work so fare will be a shame if your going to paint it..... 

Robert.

LOL That's Not a problem help your self. everything is to be shared. :)

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hi Robert, I personally thought that the comments re joggling were a bit harsh.  Model building is a hobby for enjoyment and such suggestions could be said a little more sympathetically as we are not all perfect.

Cheers

Nigel

Current Build - HMS Victory, Caldercraft - scale  1:64,  started September 2021

Cutty Sark, Constructo - scale 1:115, finished August 2021

HMS Bounty, Constructo - Scale 1:50 - First wooden kit build, finished April 2019

Really sorry about this didn't explain myself properly (or carefully)

One thing that winds me up is when people make superb jobs of their build and get basic things wrong. In this case I was WRONG!!

Its often difficult to explain what you mean

I build a Panart 1:78 Victory about 40 years and a  San Felipe about 20 years ago (have enclosed some pictures) and was very impressed by the quality of the wood - in particular the solid wood fittings like the gun carriages. So did not paint either model

As you may know the fittings like the gun carriages are walnut ply on the Caldercraft so I decided to paint the model. Quite frankly its the worse thing I ever did as much of the detail is now hidden. (it also hides up a few errors which I am not happy with)

I have joggled my deck but not as well as Bertu's and have been advised by Caldercraft against treenails as the model is not big enough. (if you look at the actual Picture of the Victory the treenail are hardly visible as the are the same wood as the decking

Strictly speaking the treenails should run across the planking at every deck beam but that's a bit of over kill

Sorry for the misunderstanding But I did congratulate Bertu on his incredible work

Seriously thinking of starting the San Felipe as I am not happy with my Victory (Certainly need to clean it up a bit as Ive not worked on it in a year!!)

Obviously Victory is no where near as far built as my SFelipe

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:01 PM, Bertu said:

Thank you Bob. You are right about the counter pattern in fact while wetting and bending it ply sheets had already started to come apart :o .  I had to insert glue at the edges and clamp it.

Robert

Have suggested to Caldercraft that they cut this part at 90 degrees so its easier to bend 

Just to add a small comment about tree nails: this is how Zu Mondfeld in Historic Ship Models describes tree nailing. 

Most model builder ignore the tree nails, except the ones at the end of every plank. (I must admit I ignored those as well ;)). It all depends on what you think has the better looks.

scan-3.jpg.ab63a349b19da451b7157e9c8919dc57.jpg

Regards, Paul

I remember that's where I got the information from Historic Ship Modelling.

Its how I did my Victory many years ago

I do think that Tree nails make the deck come alive BUT if you look at an earlier post of the actual picture Victory Tree nails you can hardly see them because the whole decking has been Holystoned over many Centuries.

Would have been interesting to see how it looked when built and 50 years later in Nelson' time

Interesting information

Thanks

Victory's Guns

On board ship cannons become Guns (Apparently)
There are three main ways to rig the guns with tackle

In the Instructions the Guns are secured with roved tackle ie lashed round with the Main tackle being well secured. Strictly speaking the Barrel should also be lashed up to the ship's side. And the main tackle Lashed
However I believe that should the gun be run out it would not be roved as this would prevent the gun being used. The short tackle from the gun to the ship's side would be short and a further tack with 2 double blocks would be at full extent. The main tackle would be loose the allow the gun to recoil

As the gun was fired the rear tackle would be tightened to allow the gun to be reloaded.

FINALLY. All references to the side tackle show a single block at the Gun and a double block at the ships side -  Seems like Caldercraft got it wrong here

Has anybody any ideas about mongraming the Barrels.

Will add photos as I proceed 

Robert,

Just came across your Victory!  Awesome work indeed. Your level of details with wood are as good as it gets. Really like the lights - especially with warm Kelvin outputs - perfect.

Glad to be at your shipyard looking in and learning.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

check siren ship models site. they sell monograms. used them on my Diana. worked out very well.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Nigel, Richard, thank you for your comments.

Paul, thank you for the information on the treenails.  I ignored the treenails in between as I was afraid the deck was going to look too crowded.  It is a question that still lingers in my mind if I should have included them!!!

Michael, thank you for your nice comment, I try my best.  You are most welcome on my shipyard and if you have any suggestions for my build I would be more than glad to hear them.

Mort, thank you for your information, much appreciated.  The monograms look great. I guess the 3/32’’ should be ok for the 1:72 scale cannons. I will try them.  It will be a nice detail.

Now for another small update.  Just finished the gunport linings.  A lot of patience was needed. 

P1000791.thumb.JPG.c81a26a78e19f5026382b0c3cf969079.JPGP1000778.thumb.JPG.02342cd71feef9b8376b89c386a63b6d.JPGP1000780.thumb.JPG.5ea267f605f6b564c07e8484e38ba8ca.JPGP1000781.thumb.JPG.e879857590460cad1ccdf5fdf495ad13.JPGP1000783.thumb.JPG.9d6654de8641fb1acb284e2ceed5c2ff.JPG

This is the jig I used to fit them.  Very crude but very helpful.  Got the idea from similar jigs on other builds.  I must admit I got a lot of ideas and learned a lot from this great forum.

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.988e378838d77a12068f69b8c10d883d.JPGIMG_1045.thumb.JPG.2c298d8723994793ebf3473dd0602d09.JPG

Robert

Your wood work is so much tidier and neater than mine
Are you using Caldercraft's wood
Think if you are going to add treenails they should be correct ie at least across the plank ends (Not sure about over the deck beams this might be too much

Again look at that actual picture of Victory the tree nails hardly shoe

Often its a matter of what looks right

In Anatomy of Nelson's Ships Longridge talks about lifting the fore copper slightly higher as it looks right

GREAT WORK