Glue problems

jcalkins1326

For the wooden bits... PVA or carpenter's glue.  You can debond it with isopropyl alcohol.

For wood and metal or wood and metal joints.. either epoxy or CA.   Epoxy doesn't debond but CA can be debonded with acetone.

Hope this helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Like Mark says, PVA is great for wood to wood bonding. Something like Elmers or Titebond. For metal to wood, CA is good and comes in 3 different thicknesses, thin, medium, and gap filling. Depending on what you are working on, choose the best thickness. Be careful with CA as it sticks to everything quickly, including skin. :o I have been glued to my model more than once and required debonder to get free. Also they make a spray liquid that bonds and dries the glue instantly. This is great for joints under stress that you want to hold quickly and where you can't really clamp it to hold it for you. Also, Epoxy is good for repairing metal parts and making metal to metal joints.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Hi, Welcome to MSW. Don't glue directly to the ship, not with any glue. Put a wee bit on a plate or something and transfer it. Gluing directly will end in tears every time.it did for me anyway!

Awesome thanks for the help

From me,

I would say......  :sign:  to both of you.

And the secret is, use a small plastic cup of some kind to transfer the glue. ​ ​

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I use carpenter's glue (Titebond), almost exclusively when building my wood models. I use a flux bottle as an applicator for the glue, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Needle-Dispenser-Bottle-for-Rosin-Solder-Soldering-Liquid-Flux-11-Needles-30ml-/311045287303?hash=item486bbe6d87:g:BA4AAOSwGvhT5sz~

As an alternative, you could place a small amount of glue in the little disposable plastic cups, then apply with a small paint brush.

I try to avoid using cyanoacrylate (super glue) as it can spoil the finish of your wooden model.