Norwegian Steamship 1880-1900

The Old Man

Hi "The Old Man",

welcome to the forum, recommend  that after a short introduction of yourself and your aim, you kindly provide your fellow members what exactly you are seeking for...., so maybe we can give better assistance...

Side wheelers and steam /sailships are not less "Steamships". I can imagine that you perhaps may want to look at early Hurtig Route coastal steamers...

here a little link with names of Norwegian steam ships, perhaps in a second run it can be checked out if there perhaps are kits available

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Steamships_of_Norway

Sort out those around turn of the century

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

This is not all that similar, but maybe close enough for a "practice build" until you can scratchbuild the ship you want?

http://atlastmodels.se/bohuslan/

The Canadian-Pacific "Islander" shown was actually built in Scotland in 1888...

Thanks!     The s/s Bohuslän looks pretty close. I never noticed it before. Maybe I can tweak it.  Extend the hull and add a stack.

Yes, the SS Islander was built in Scotland 1880.  It is now lying in 360 feet of water off Admiralty Island with a reported 130 million dollars of gold on board.  Part of the SS. Islander was salvaged and dropped onto the beach 1929. Some gold was recovered. I have explored those remains which are visible at low tide.

I want to build it.

Has anyone built the s/s Bohuslän before?  I did a site search, shows nothing here.

Nils did a magnificent model of the Bohuslan (I think based on the Billings kit):

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6288-steamship-ss-bohusl%C3%A4n-by-nils-langemann-billings-1914-scale-150-swedish-live-museum-steamer-already-completed/?hl=bohusl%C3%A4n

The Curtis-Wiley Diving machine used in the 1929-1934 salvage operations of the Islander was an amazing piece of steampunk gear--might make an interesting diorama...

post-964-0-17028200-1452044176_thumb.jpg

http://www.nickmessinger.co.uk/islander.html

Edited by hexnut

Thanks!     That's what I was looking for.  

Look's like I may be able to tweak the kit.

There will be another attempt to recover the SS Islander gold:

http://www.adn.com/article/crew-will-attempt-recover-millions-southeast-alaska-shipwreck

I know a guy who dove it about ten years ago illegally. He collected some cups and dinner plates. He's gone now.

post-22508-0-86899800-1452047303.jpg

Well, that depends on what part of the world you live in...

US: Nordic Class Boats

UK: Bohuslän steamer ship model | eBay

EU: Bohuslän Dampfschiff 1:45 Bausatz - Krick Modelltechnik

and many more....

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Theres a couple of pics from the unboxing of the kit on my log, examples of the manual also. But beware, the quality of the kit leaves a lot to be desired. 

But on the other hand it's cheap, and as usual you get what you pay for...  ;)

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Theres a couple of pics from the unboxing of the kit on my log, examples of the manual also. But beware, the quality of the kit leaves a lot to be desired. 

But on the other hand it's cheap, and as usual you get what you pay for...  ;)

I wonder if the kits are the same?

US price is $395 for the  NC35-1006 Nordic Class Boats s/s Bohuslän  at "Ages of Sail". Another $50 shipping.     For over $400 I would expect some kind of quality.  Plus I'm concerned with the poor material used to build some interior rooms.

The S/S Bohuslan looks more like the SS Princess Sophia.  Which I am also wanting to build. 

Not much gold..........but a huge loss of life.  A grizzly tale when SS Princess Sophia resurfaced with all the bodies on board.   http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/PrincessSophia/120505_princess_sophia.html

In my area, there are two kinds of boaters. Those who have hit rocks, and those who will hit rocks.

Edited by The Old Man

In Sweden I payed about $ 290 with shipping and I got the LED kit for free. Guess it costs a lot to ship the crap overseas...  :P

My opinion is that you're better off without it.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

In Sweden I payed about $ 290 with shipping and I got the LED kit for free. Guess it costs a lot to ship the crap overseas...  :P

My opinion is that you're better off without it.

Thanks!

I am agreement with you on that.    Are there any plans available to scratch build the S/S Bohuslan?  or a ship of similar design?

Hi T.O.M.,

as you have been looking for assistance

let me kindly do two suggestions for your search......

one is the beautiful Alaskan "Portland" steamer late 1880, kit of "Bluejacket Models". I know from your early posts that you are not so fond of side wheelers, but this one in silhuoette, tonnage and length and decks comes quite close to the "Islander" and may have been transporting some of those goldrush fortune seekers. It also has two stacks, but they are next to one another.....

the other is a real Oldtimer eyecandy model kit, its the "Panderma Ferry" of Turkmodel, appr. 1881 or so...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

• 5 months later...

Nils

I built the Portland and the kits is good quality. Who makes the "Panderma Ferry" kit?

Clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

Hi Clarence,

you may want to google up Turk Models, they sell (or via local distributers) the beautiful "Panderma Ferry" kit

Cheers,

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed