HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Erik W - 1:48 scale

Great job on the planking.  I wish I had your patience to only install one or two planks a day.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

NIcely done, Erik.    I've tried that picking the "wall side"... but the Admiral usually has other ideas when the project is finished.    :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Erik, I've adopted the same approach on several builds including my current one. I like knowing that I can "practice" on one side. Everything looks great!

Looks very sweet so far, Erik. The first 'real' planking job is always slow, but after a hull or two it goes much more easily and quicker.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the kind words!  Many of you set the bar high.  Gives the rest of us something to aim for!  Planking is an interesting process.  While repetitive, there is enough of it to actually see an improvement in technique and results as progress is made.  I guess this is why no matter how much we understand the concepts of how certain processes are done beforehand, improving our results only comes from getting our hands dirty by actually doing.  I'm soooo glad I built the longboat as a first project rather than jumping into something like this as a first build.  I'm definitely refining what I had first learned on the longboat.

Toni, I'm so slow, I only have time for one or two planks a day!  Druxey, I can see how it will be possible to do this a little more quickly . . . down the road.

Glad to hear that others have a "Show side" vs. "Wall side" too.

Erik

Um, 'quickly' is a relative thing, Erik! I don't think any of us can do more than a strake - or maybe two - a day, if we are to do it at a decent standard.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I finished planking the first belt of port side strakes.  This had been partially done when I posted last weekend, so no, I didn't plank 10 rows of strakes in a week.  :)   These photos show the first rough sanding.  There are still areas that are uneven or need a little more attention . . . which pop out to me when viewing these photos.  That, and ignore the dinged paint, and glue marks.  Definitely not a clean finished look yet!  I'm looking forward to working on the square tuck next.  I could use a little break from planking the hull sides!

post-20029-0-66045900-1485707570_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-38369100-1485707580_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-22879300-1485707592_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-12472300-1485707603_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-96219700-1485707615_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-40067300-1485707638_thumb.jpg

Erik

Yet another amazing Cheerful build. I'm working my way through all of the logs, and the standard is simply not declining!

Really inspiring, and I'm really falling in love with this wonderful design by Chuck.

I was very pleased, though, Erik, to see that whilst this is only your second boat, you are an otherwise experienced modeller. Had this been the second "model" you'd ever built, I'd have had to hang up my tools :)

Phil

Current (first) build: 18th Century Longboat

Very nice planking Erik.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great job on the planking Erik. Is there some magic in this kit designed by Chuck? Every one I've seen is exceptional. I'm thinking of buying one for my seven year old grandson as clearly it's foolproof.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

Actually, I think it was designed as a first time scratch build with some laser cut parts available for those that want them. The plan is highly detailed and as long as you follow the monograph or Chuck's build, then things can come together amazing well. So I would say that it is a very well designed ship.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Greg,

The problem is Chuck and the first few builders set the bar high, none of us who follow want to be the only ones to build a substandard Cheerful . . . so we're forced to up our game.  The pressure is intense.  :)

Erik

I've been wrestling with the square tuck this week.  There's a lot going on as far as curves and angles in that area, making getting things correct a bit difficult.  I realize my planking is flatter in the area adjacent to the wales, so that area of the square tuck looks a bit different than Chuck's.  All in all I'm happy with the way it's turning out so far.  I used 3/64" thick planks with a filler block behind them, rather than 1/8" thick planks, figuring it would be easier to get the planks shaped correctly in this complicated area.  The idea seems to have proved successful.

post-20029-0-67567100-1486314783_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-44866200-1486314792_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

I finished the square tuck, gave it a rough sanding (I've only done a preliminary sanding below the wales with 120 grit sandpaper so far), and applied another 4 thin coats of red paint to the counter.  The counter had gotten scuffed over the last couple of weeks.  Things turned out pretty well.  In the last photo, the uneven gun port frames jump out.  When I planked the transom I erred on the side of having the transom planking symmetrical, knowing the gun ports would be modeled closed.  The important thing to me was to have the gun port framing appear aligned correctly when viewed from the interior, since that will be visible.  Every time I look at a photo of the exterior of the transom though, that just annoys me, as do the dozens of other little imperfections that only the builder usually notices.  :)

post-20029-0-34639900-1486756556_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-47015700-1486756583_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-73125500-1486756596_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-77987600-1486756615_thumb.jpg

Erik

Okay Erik,

This is "bugging" me :P 

You need to update the pictures using an editor to mark the errors, because I can't even find a single one.

This is an outstanding clean build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The important thing to me was to have the gun port framing appear aligned correctly when viewed from the interior, since that will be visible.  Every time I look at a photo of the exterior of the transom though, that just annoys me, as do the dozens of other little imperfections that only the builder usually notices.  :)

I had the same issue with those two gun ports and framing alignment. You are not going to notice it once the interior is painted and details are added to that area of the ship. Once the lids are in place everything will look great, just like the rest of the ship.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

Planking, planking, and more planking.  Here are some quick photos, warts and all, after a quick rough sanding.  Planking from the keel up is a different beast than the other belt of strakes.  The shapes take a bit of getting used to.  It's coming along well so far.  I've double and triple checked my tick marks.  I shouldn't have any surprises when I get to the meeting of the two belts.

Erik

Cheerful (144).JPG

Cheerful (145).JPG

Cheerful (147).JPG

Cheerful (146).JPG

Beautifully done!!!  I cant see any issues at all.  I love the color and the photography is top notch. :)

Wonderful planking job Erik! Your patience is really paying off.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys!  I definitely feel like I'm in the groove with the intricacies of how to get good results planking.  This section of 5 strakes above the keel came out the best yet.  I still have finish work (sanding) to do where the strakes meet the keel and stem, but will save that for when the hull is fully planked. 

I glue the edge of the strakes a few bulkheads at a time, and use these clamps to hold the strakes tight against one another while the PVA sets:

Image result for dewalt small clamps

I wait 20 minutes or so, and then move on to where the strake sits on the next several bulkheads.  I was thinking of taking some in-progress photos of this procedure if you folks are interested.  How I'm clamping the strakes has, out of necessity, gotten pretty creative!

Erik