HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Erik W - 1:48 scale

Really nice work Erik.  I can not wait to see the rest of the hull planked.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I cut away the framing at the stern with a small Dremel drum sander.  I then cleaned the area up with sanding sticks.  I thinned the frames to 1/16" using a .060" thick piece of styrene as a guide.  With the planking at the stern still unattached, I sanded the hull bulkhead tops/stern frame tops to get the correct deck curvature.  I figured this was easier to do now, than when the stern area is planked.

post-20029-0-39015500-1461958507_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-20140500-1461958529_thumb.jpg

Erik

Great progress, Erik

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I planked the counter.  Since this area will be painted red, I didn't bother running a pencil between the planks to make them stand out.  The result being, the 8 planks look like a solid sheet!  Since I've gotten pretty good at getting the planks snug against one another, I'm curious if once painted, this area will look solid, or if we'll be able to see the plank edges.  I guess I could have worse problems than smooth planking with no gaps.  :)

post-20029-0-06047000-1462654930_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-19578500-1462654938_thumb.jpg

Erik

Heh, sounds like a good problem to deal with!

Saw some build logs where plank seams were made more visible by scribing them with some sharp tool, on an already planked hull (not before the planks are glued, but after). It was looking quite good! But must be tested first, of course.

Mike,

I've thought of doing something like that.  I'll leave it as it is though.  Once the ship is complete the counter is not really visible anyway.  I'd rather have it look smooth, than overdo any attempt to more clearly define the plank edges.

Erik

Erik,

That is very nice displaying your work,

Even though the Cheerful is not on my list I am following this one of yours to the bone.

Very nice!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I planked the transom.  This was much more of a challenge than the photos indicate.  Though the transom looks flat, it actually has a pretty good curve to it, so the edge bending is quite severe.  I reduced the plank width by .010" on each plank, so the 4 planks are a uniform width going down the center of the transom.  One of the gun port lower sills is a bit crooked.  I figured this doesn't matter since the ports will be closed.  I am more concerned with making sure both ports are the same size, and true and level.  The transom and counter have both been given a first preliminary sanding.

post-20029-0-35517200-1463341651_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-27095100-1463341662_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-24938100-1463341669_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-12753800-1463341677_thumb.jpg

Erik

That is some very fine planking Erik!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I did the preliminary sanding of the interior side of the planking of the counter and transom.  I have to say, it's definitely much easier when you only have to worry about how the exterior of the planks look!

post-20029-0-32646400-1463627940_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-62055400-1463627948_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-73532100-1463627956_thumb.jpg

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

I took these photos a few days ago.  I cut the trim pieces to shape using the plans . . . only to realize since my wales are a touch lower at the stern, the trim pieces were too short.  So, I cut them again.  I glued them on tonight . . . after snapping one while bending it to shape.  I managed to glue it together again with no noticeable seam.  My progress and motivation are slowing down as we get into warm weather and outdoor season.  Once I add the second layer of planking to the wales, I'll most likely take a break until the weather is more conducive to sitting inside.  :)

post-20029-0-56854900-1464838910_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-92945300-1464838932_thumb.jpg

Erik

Always such a pleasure to look in on your work Eric. There'll be plenty of rainy shipyard days to keep that cutter moving ahead I hope.

Best, Ian

Erik,

This build log is probably the cleanest I ever seen.

The pictures are great too.

Looking forward to more.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

lovely work on that cutter Erik,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for all the kind words guys!  I won't be setting the Cheerful aside.  I'll still work on it when I have time.  I just acknowledge that here in Colorado, it's best to take advantage of any warm weather we get.  BBQing, hiking, biking, etc. are calling.  :)

Erik

Better to be BBQing, hiking, biking and Cheerfuling. looking forward to your updates.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Heh, you definitely live in Colorado if summer is outdoors time. Here in Missouri, heat and humidity are quite conducive to quiet indoor model work. Excellent work as always, I look forward to more when you get around to it!

• 4 months later...

How's she coming along, Erik? Eagerly awaiting your progress as many others probably are too! Side note- excellent longboat build. I've also used to reference for my longboat build.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for checking in, and the kind words!  Life has kind of gotten in the way of my build these last months.  I spent some time traveling around Iceland and Norway for a while . . . er, call it research for future projects.  Also, my father passed away last month after a long and painful battle with cancer.  Lots to try to wrap my mind around lately.  So, I've been working on getting my feet under me again.  That said, I'm still on here regularly following everyone's progress, particularly the other Cheerful builders.  One things I was able to share with my father in his last year, when he was very ill and house bound, was my longboat build, and the progress on my Cheerful.  Ultimately, I think it fitting that this build is dedicated to him.

Thanks for checking in,

Erik

I am very sorry to hear about your Dad.  But I am glad you will be back at it soon.  Hang in there!!

So sorry for your loss, Erik. Looking forward to your future posts.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey