Rigging stain

ziadams

I don't know about Floquil, and I don't know what country you're from (which would make a difference as to advice), but I use ordinary walnut crystal dye in different concentrations for rigging -- as recommended by Frolich in his Art of Ship Modeling. It will stain from almost black to the palest brown imaginable according to your taste. It's mixed with water, which also makes it very easy to handle.

It's very cheap, used by carpenters for lots of furniture types, and easily found on eBay (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-Antique-Wood-Dye-water-based-wood-stain-Mix-with-Water-50g-/140885995955?hash=item20cd75b1b3:m:mv8_RBbZw1wgVyzhfp6oHaA)

Tony

Now that's interesting, Tony.  I found walnut ink, for artists, water-based, just change the concentration for a lighter result.  I put a tiny bit in a shallow dish and pull the line through, once or twice or however many times.  For a heavy color, anchor cables for example, I use burnt umber acrylic paint, very similar color to the walnut, probably pretty much the same from manufacturer to manufacturer and medium to medium.

Just for interest's sake, I have been using only three dilutions: 1gm:5ml water (served shrouds), 1gm:10ml, and 1gm:30ml. I can see my pack of crystals may well last for all the models I make.

Tony

I like the water soluble walnut dye idea.  Vegetable dyes should not fade and I assume there is no binder involved that will effect the use of glue on splices, etc.  I have often wanted to try soaking black walnut husks in alcohol to produce a non-fading furniture stain, but have not done it.  Maybe now is a good time.

I wouldn't dream of using Floquil for this even if it were still sold.  I have used acrylic ink diluted, but wonder how this will affect gluing (non-CA gluing that is).

Thanks for the walnut tip.

Ed

Further to the water based walnut stain aka Van Dyck Crystals.  Here's a link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/vandyckcrystals.aspx

I am sure there are many other sources.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

There was some discussion in recent publications on the use of stain for coloring rigging.  As I remember Erik Ronnberg used to recommend Min wax stain and then retracted it due to some deterioration caused by the product.  The last recommendation I saw was using liquid shoe polish, black for standing rigging and brown for running rigging.  This is what I have been using and it works nicely.  Kinda messy though.

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

Hi Ed,

Be careful when you make/use stain made from black walnut shells. I made some about 25 years ago and ended up staining my hands a rich dark brown. It took months for it to go way completely.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

The walnut ink I use is labeled 'walnut drawing ink', it comes in a square bottle with a white plastic cap.  The label gives the manufacturer as Tom Norton Designs, Cambridge, Mass.  I googled it, Dick Blick's came up as one source.  I got mine at the little local art shop.  I don't want to post a picture because of possible copyright complications.  A few ounces goes a long way, why spend your modeling time making something you can go out and buy?

• 2 weeks later...

I used water infused by a t bag to stain my sails, they came out ok. You can make the tea mixture as weak or as strong as you like and it's cheap :-)

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat