USF Confederacy by UpstateNY - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Hi All,

Welcome to the start of my build log of the USF Confederacy from Model Ship Shipways as designed by Chuck Passaro.

Her full history has been summarized in Chuck’s fabulously detailed instructions which can be downloaded from the Model Shipways site.  Suffice it to say here that the Confederacy was an unlucky ship, surviving some actions, hurricanes and collisions before being captured by HMS Roebuck and Orpheus in April 1781 and taken into the British Navy as HMS Confederate.  However, while only 2 years old, inspections showed a great deal of rot, probably due to the use of green timber during her construction. She was then broken up, but her lines were at least preserved by the British Admirality. Below is a Revolutionary painting of the Confederacy from the Navy Art Gallery at the Washington Navy Yard. 

post-17285-0-76795600-1452566875_thumb.jpg

My impressions of the kit are very favorable. The kit arrived very well packaged with all items present. I’ve already mentioned the great instructions, but the plan sheets are also extremely clear. All the wooden parts are laser cut and the etched brass and cast metal parts are nicely detailed. I am perhaps fortunate as all the more fragile parts are intact, like the figurehead and ships wheels. Images of kit contents and parts are below. 

post-17285-0-90789300-1452567323_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-02944100-1452567339_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-14404500-1452567355_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-97404400-1452567376_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-11866000-1452567393_thumb.jpg

The Confederacy’s rigging plan has not survived, but I do plan to fully rig her following the plans by Crothers. The exception are the belaying points as Chuck has kindly warned me the Crothers belaying plan is incorrect. So, following his advice, I will be working out the belaying points using other contempory frigates as a guide.

post-17285-0-70379700-1452567508_thumb.jpg

This will be a long build and all advice and help will be most appreciated. I will certainly be referencing all the other great Confederacy build logs to help me along the way so my thanks in advance here! 

My dream for this build is to try and bring the Navy Art Gallery painting to life! I hope you find some time to stop by and enjoy this voyage with me!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi All,

Firstly, thank you Don and Nick for stopping by and of course to all for the likes.  Nick, looking forward to seeing the start of your build....please start soon!  :)

So, some progress as the bulkhead former has been assembled. Took a few days to remove a slight warp in the pieces by dampening them and weighting them down on a flat board. The rabbet strip was glued to the center of the former after shaping it follow the bow shape using some light heat.

While the former was being flattened, the stem was assembled.  It took some time to remove the angles formed on the cut faces by the laser cutter so they would fit together evenly. Shaping was slowly done using needle files and often checking both sides for fit by holding them together flat on a glass plate. The 3rd image shows the pieces in a test fit. 

Following Chuck's instructions, I then stained all the pieces before gluing. I already had some Minmax Golden Pecan stain so tried a test piece after a light sanding to clean up the basswood surface. After 2 coats, with each left 15 mins before removing the excess, the basswood was a nice warm red/gold color. I hope you like it!  The last two pictures show the stem after staining and glueing along with my reference piece.  I plan to use this reference through the build to try and keep the color consistent.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-19064900-1453257059_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-87264600-1453257097_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-30297900-1453257128_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-95305200-1453257149_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-91824100-1453257182_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel, I see you haven't let the shipyard cool off at all between your Red Dragon and this build.  Looks like an interesting build and I'll be pulling up a barrel to watch.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Someone save me a seat. I've got to watch this. It's on my list of future builds for sure.

Greg H.

Ditto!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I'll be following as well.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome one and all and very glad for all the company! Better make yourselves comfortable as this won't be a fast build!  

Yep Sal,  no "cooling off"!  Quite apart from the fact, I've been itching to start the Lady Confederacy for months,  modeling is what helps me "cool off" after the usual work day challenges!   :)

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi All,

Thanks again for the kind comments and the likes.

Assembly of the bulkhead former, keel and stem has been completed which finishes Chapter One of the instructions.

Former was sanded to the thickness of the rabbet strip at the bow and stern following the provided bearding lines. Stem was then tapered to 1/8in thick where the figurehead will sit and was glued to the former after re-staining and a coat of protective poly.  Keel was assembled with the scarf joint being filed to fit in the same way as the bow and the false keel was added.  All keel parts were initially stained and poly'ed before assembly.  Scarf joint bolts were simulated using a #70 drill to make the 2 sets of 8 holes and the tips of toothpicks glued into the holes. The tips were then sawn off and sanded smooth before a light staining to darken the end grain and a final coat of wipe on poly.

Images below and next up is assembling the bulkheads and numerous filler pieces to start Chapter 2.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-42675000-1453775580_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-21970100-1453775607_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-56322600-1453775625_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-80502300-1453775646_thumb.jpg

You are off to a great start. Looks good

Count me in !!! After seeing what you did with your Chinese Junk, I couldn't possibly miss this !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great to have you aboard again Captain Steve!  :) !  Thanks to Don for the kind words and to all for the likes!

Hey Nigel.  I'm going to follow along.  I might try my hand at a full sized frigate for my next build, but that is over a year away. 

Good work so far.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hello Nigel, good to see you starting a new project. I'm grabbing a seat and following along. I look forward to seeing your progress....have fun, we'll be enjoying.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Welcome aboard John, Ken and PAnderson, good to have you along on this voyage. I'll certainly need everyone's keen eyes to help me along the way.

PAnderson...no deck swabbing needed...that will actually be my job as I try to keep the dust down to manageable levels!

My thanks to all who hit the like button as well...very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi All,

A little more progress over the past week. The 16 (!) bulkheads have been scraped clean of the top layer of laser char.  The char was very sticky and thick. I prefer to scrap using the back of a dull Xacto blade rather than sand to minimize the dust.  I left a thin char layer as recommended to help guide the fairing of the hull later in the build. Bulkhead and former slots needed a lot of filing to enable the them to engage evenly using just gentle finger pressure...initially the bulkheads would not slide into the former slots at all.

Images are below including the last one which is just for fun showing just how large this build is when compared to my Red Dragon!  The Dragon seemed pretty large when I was building her, but she is completely dwarfed by the Lady Confederacy. So...lots of fun to come.... :)

Thanks again for all the kind comments, the likes and for just simply stopping by!

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-77744000-1454288831_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-85047200-1454288849_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-33672000-1454288868_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-28205700-1454288885_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-71803000-1454288901_thumb.jpg

Edited by UpstateNY

Welcome Mike and Phil...glad to have you aboard and thanks for the kind words!

Phil,  

You see anything that doesn't make sense, please just sing out! I am happy to take all the help I can get!

Cheers,

Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well all the bulkheads are now glued in after checking each one was square the bulkhead former. The numerous bow and bulkhead fillers along with the stern half bulkheads were then scrapped to remove the char and glued in. I took a lot of care with the bow and stern pieces to try and make sure the alignments were correct. I then planked the three sub-gun deck platforms with the caulking simulated using a soft pencil. I tried to select basswood strips of the same color and texture as Chuck points out in his instructions, but a couple still seemed to come out darker once the wipe on poly dried. These platforms will be hardly visible in the final build, but I'll perhaps need to be a bit more selective down the road once I start planking the hull and main decks to get a consistent finish.

Thumbnails below...thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-14315800-1455072758_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-12662700-1455072780_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-81105700-1455072805_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-72287700-1455072828_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-93316100-1455072847_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-10671700-1455072866_thumb.jpg

post-17285-0-45572300-1455072883_thumb.jpg

Interesting build :) !

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Permission to come on board for this build sir?

The Confederacy (along with the Syren) is on my bucket list of models to build one day.

She's gonna be a beauty! 

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Welcome Elijah, Bigmac and Roger and thank you all for the kind comments and the likes. You won't be disappointed with the Confederacy kit, it's a real beauty and hopefully I will do her justice. 

Fairing the hull right now...taking it slow and checking things as I go, but I hope to have an update worth posting soon. Please ignore any reports of unseasonable dust storms in the Saratoga Springs area.... :)

Cheers,

Nigel.