Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Thanks everyone for visiting and catching up I see, and to those who clicked like, thank you.

@ Remco: Thank you my friend, yeah, I kinda like that shot myself.

@ Vivian: Thanks Viv for your kind words.

@ Ian:  Hmmm, scary eh?  Yeah I guess, it's like looking at the business end of a gun like I did a long time ago with a snarling Jap soldier with his finger on the trigger.  Just for you I'll make another pic of the launcher from the side so you don't get nightmares  ;)

@ Popeye: Got caught up again I see, thanks for dropping in my friend.  Yep, the doors are working out okay.  Other ideas in mind?  About what Popeye, another build?  Something else on the sub perhaps?  Remember that I still have to build the dingy and several other things before we can call the model finished.  I still need to complete the VOC ship and a Dutch VOC or Staten Jacht in a lamp and my father in law's ship.  Then I really need to get back to my art work.

I guess I'll have stick around for another lifetime to do all the things I want to do  ;)

@ Pete: Thank you, yeah, it came out pretty decent.

@ Jud:  Thanks for dropping in and following my build.  I like to think that my father would like it but am afraid that he may have a few "constructive criticisms"  ;)   But remembering him as a young boy he was always rather gentile in reminding me of my errors  :)

Cheers to all,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages - - gather around and let me tell you a story - - - - - the Eureka moment has arrived  :36:  :champagne-2:  :dancetl6:  the torpedo launcher compartment doors have been installed, the launcher has been tested for proper functioning (except the firing tests  ;)  :rolleyes: )  and the paint touch-up is completed!  Champaign for everyone or a lighter refreshment for those who abstain  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Yep, this morning I glued the starboard door in place and while waiting for the glue to cure I started making another torpedo.  After lunch I tried the door and it worked just fine.  then I put the launcher in its place and tested the rotation of it over both doors on both sides.  I lucked out - - - again!  It worked as advertised!  I'm a happy camper!

I immediately started masking the port and starboard sides to spray paint the combat areas.  I put four coats of paint over everything to make it blend in with the existing paint.  It's looking pretty good, even close up. 

I guess I'll have to make a pair of boat hooks to help in closing the doors - - - i can hardly leave the strings on the doors now, could I ???

Okay, what's next on the agenda?  Well, there is the dingy yet to make but I think I'll be making the flags and the ensign first and install the O19 decals and the load marking decals.  Then install the antenna cables and could call the model completed.  

Hmmm, the dingy, well - - it could be on back order - - - but no, I'll make it too but as the final project as a separate model.  Hmmm - - - another build log?????  Perhaps not  :P   There's a lot of thinking involved here, I'm an aircraft fixer / maker - - not a dingy maker  ;)   Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Here are a few pics of today's effort.  The first four pics are to demonstrate that the launcher really rotates freely over the opened doors.

post-1399-0-79458000-1408670050_thumb.jpg

This shows the torpedo launcher pinned into place and in the process of rotating inside into its stowed position and also for eventual reloading - port side.  

post-1399-0-90050100-1408670107_thumb.jpg

This shows the torpedo launcher in the process of rotating towards the front of the boat - port side. 

post-1399-0-17873200-1408670175_thumb.jpg

This shows the torpedo launcher in the process of rotating towards the front of the boat - starboard side. 

post-1399-0-68105500-1408670193_thumb.jpg

This shows the torpedo launcher in the process of rotating towards the aft inside into its stowed position and / or for reloading - starboard side. 

post-1399-0-83026100-1408670210_thumb.jpg

Here I have masked enough of the boat to touch-up paint the parts that needed paint.  I masked at the hard edges as much as possible to prevent a blending problem.  The few areas I left unmasked blended in okay, perhaps some whet sanding with 800 grit paper or just some "Bonami" or "Comet" scouring powder will do the trick if I see where it would improve the paint job.  

post-1399-0-03605500-1408670223_thumb.jpg

Here is the O19 with the masking paper and tape removed after the painting is completed.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  We are getting close now, eh whot?  

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wonderful. It would be nice to see a photo of the proud builder/owner alongside his creation - for scale purposes don't you know. ;)  :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

such a beautiful build Piet! to see her overall is a treat for the eyes :) .....and yes, I was talking about the sub. you mentioned that the rigging and the dingy is all that's left......so there's no more secrets up your sleeve ;) I would be awestruck to see that there is more that can be added.......I'm sure there's a bobble here and there, but for all of the aspects you've put into her, you've covered all the bases quite well! the mines and the tubes were one thing......but the addition of the launcher and doors, is a prime example of what a scratch builder goes through in adding an aspect into an existing build. very well executed and done....good sir! the effort you've put into this build is awesome....a shining example of your modeling abilities.

I should never ask {although I sometimes do} a modeler what his next build will be......I should know better than anyone, that quite frankly, he hasn't had the time to think of it yet :) that's quite a 'to do' list you got there! well met! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Incredible Piet, Beautiful work, She is very impressive

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks to all of you for visiting, your commends and your likes, it's much appreciated.

Thanks Dave for your kind words and yes, she did her part against the Japs.  I'm so sorry that it had to be without my father on board, he would have come home to us if he hadn't been promoted and placed on the Cruiser Hr. Ms. Java.

Hi Vivian, thank you.  Yes, she was an amazing boat at her time.

Hoi Remco, thank you and yes, the completion is in sight but there seem to be a gezillion little details yet to be done.  Hey, there are many very great libations for toasting a successful project but stay away from those sugary soda pops  :)

Hi John (Lad), thank you so very much my friend.

Hello Ian, thank you too and a few months ago I did have Gwen take a pic of me holding the boat.  You'll have to do some browsing my friend but we'll have another series of pics planned - - - stay tuned.

Popeye, good to see you again and thanks for your compliments.  Yeah, well - - - actually there are still quite a few little things left to do besides the dingy.  I did some today, all very time consuming.  I forgot to mention the railing  :o   There are about 36 posts on either side but I am wittling it down to 29 per side.  I know that during the rebuild in Scotland in 1943 they removed them as well as the torpedo gantries.  But this'll be the way my father knew her when he sailed on her between 1938 and 1941.  Yep, the biggest problem or problems was that a lot of things were afterthoughts and not planned.  All in all they all worked out okay.  

Hello Pete and thank you!  Yeah, sometimes i just stand there and just look at her - - - thinking what my father would say if he could see her.

Hoi Sjors, thank you!

Hallo Kees and thank you for dropping in.  Yep, she's a looker alright  ;)   

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone, and thank you again for your kind words and comments on my efforts.

Today I spend some time in figuring what to do with the deck railing.  According to the drawing there are about 36 stanchions on each side but that seems to get a little crowded so I decided to whittle it down to 29 per side.  Now I have to check if I have enough 1 mm brass tubing for all of them.  I'll do that Sunday and may have to place an order via internet, my local hardware store doesn't stock this small diameter tubing.

I then decided to make two straps for loading torpedoes so I can hang one in the forward gantry for display purposes and of course - - - picture taking.  The O19 model will just not be complete without showing how the torpedoes are loaded into the boat.

I also finished the fourth torpedo that'll be used for display on the board with a mine.  Oh yeah, I still want to make a spare anchor for the display board too.  

I carved a small opening in the aft side of the aft deck for the white nav light.  I don't have a small clear plastic rod to simulate a lamp but used a piece of a toothpick an then glued a clear plastic window over the end.

It's all these piddly little things that take up a lot of time.  If I have to order some more 1 mm brass tubes for the railing then I can try to make a start with the dingy, who knows.

Okay, here are just a few pics of today's efforts.

post-1399-0-48593300-1408759627_thumb.jpg

This pic is for Ian - - so he can now look at it and not get night mares from staring at the business end of the launcher  ;)  :rolleyes:

post-1399-0-65447200-1408759663_thumb.jpg

I wanted to have one torpedo hanging in the loading gantry for display purposes so I made a pair of straps.  I may have to remake them longer to double wrap them around the torpedo.  In any case. I used the hem of an old worn out hanky.  I soaked it with nail polish and some light brown paint then wrapped it around the fourth torpedo I was making and glued the ends together with nail polish. I then made an oval eye to go through the strap ends.  The next two pics show the torpedo hanging in the loading gantry, all I need now is a few crew members wrestling that baby into the loading tube.

post-1399-0-44563400-1408759675_thumb.jpg

I'll have to take another look at an actual photo where they are loading one of these babies and see what kind of cabling or chains they have used.

post-1399-0-91903400-1408759686_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Just amazingly beautiful, Piet.  Who knew an airplane guy could do subs, eh?  I'm thinking your father would be busting the buttons off his shirt with pride in this. I know it's got me smiling.......

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work recreating this sub what a great tribute to your Father.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow, thank you all for visiting my shipyard and your likes.  It's very humbling  :blush:

Hello Omega, thank you very much for your note of appreciation.  Yes, it's realism I was after and I'm glad it shows.  I didn't plan on getting it this far when I started the build but things kinda developed as I went along.

Hi Mark, and thank you for your compliments.  Well, actually airplanes and subs are not too different, their basic hull / fuselage forms are tubes  ;) - - - sewer pipes  ;)  :rolleyes:   Yeah, I like to think that Adjudant van Warmerdam would be pleased.

Hello Dave B, yep, she's taking on ammo, the fuel tanks are filled, engines have been test run, just waiting for the few final details before launching her off the ways.

Hi Michael, thank you so very much for your kind words.

Hoi Sjors, oh wouldn't that be a kick in the rear end chatting with old man Wilton but as I mentioned some ago - when he hears my name he'll probably throw me out his office.  Actually I would love to visit the company and chat.  Better yet I would really like to visit the Netherlands and have a get-together with all the Dutch modelers.  Hmmm, Gwen keeps talking about visiting Holland before we are too old to travel.

Hello Lawrence, great seeing you again, welcome.  Thank you for your very compliments and kind words.  I understand getting wrapped up in a build and not making time to visit and comment all the great builds here at MSW.  I like your build my friend.  

No, subs don't have to surface to fire torpedoes, just come up to periscope depth.  The torpedoes are set for how deep they must run before firing them, depending on the target.  The aiming on this particular sub was done with an analog "computer" device that calculated the target's speed, distance and the position of the sub in relation to the taget.  

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone,

This morning I mowed the front yard and the temps were already 95 F [that's 35 C] at 10 o'clock.  That and the BCGI stuff in my bod really tuckered me out in not time flat.  Took several breaks and drank a lot of water.  I also dragged a dead tree out of the swale next to our house [that's a sloot for yun Dutchies ], it bothered Gwen a lot being there.  Actually it's my neighbor's but she's a nice lady.

After having a light lunch, one slice of California sprouted grain braid and a salad, I was rested enough to mozie on into the HOT garage and do some work.  I opened the doors and turned the fan on full blast, not too bad, tolerable - - - for me.  Gwen asked - how can you work in this oven - Hmmmm, is the Creator trying to tell me something - - - better get used to the heat, you bum, for that HOT place down belo - - -  :omg:  Actually, I love it when the temps are over 80 F, below that I have to wear a sweater ;) .

Well, I have finally done it - - - the O19 has now officially received her name!   :D  :D  :D  :D  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Sooooh - - -I decided to cut the mustard and install the decals Remco made for me.  They worked out great except for those for the con.  The grey was too far off color that I decided to cut each individual number out and attach them separately on the con.  That was a struggle and may not have been worth the effort.  I have one more set and could replace the ones I have put on the con and just VERY carefully paint the right grey over over the errant parts.

But let my try first to doctor these up and play with it, perhaps a waste of time but so what, where else do I have to go.  I'll use my finest drawing pen with India ink for the out line, it's water proof, and shape the letters, if needed.

I'll do a Nenad and do a test run first with some scrap left-over decal stuff and see how that blends in.  I still have my test piece I used to send color pics to Remco for the decals.

I think that the green matches really good and may not even need touching up.

I also ordered a package of 1 mm brass tubes for the railing.  That could arrive in Palm Coast hopefully this Friday.  If not, then we'll have to wait.  I can then work on te flags - - - another fun project to try.  I'll use a very old worn out hanky, it's nice and thin.  I'll try acrylic paint that I used for my artwork and see how that works out.  

I could also pre-drill the railing stanchions holes to 3 mm depth, then I don't have to do them when the tubes arrive.   Hmmmm, what else - - - oh yeah, the dingy.  

Here are a few pics of my efforts for today.  

post-1399-0-46986300-1408932742_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist taking a shot of the torpedo actually going into the loading tube to the forward torpedo room.  This is the last one being loaded and pretty soon we are ready for bear.  Watch out all yuns with your big ships with lots of cannons  :P  Let's see, Kevin is loading depth charges and Dave is getting a "pinger."  Ooooooooh, I scared now - - - not.  ;)  :P

post-1399-0-91164900-1408932788_thumb.jpg

This shows the O19 marking and the load numbers on the port bow.

post-1399-0-39905700-1408932817_thumb.jpg

This shows the load numbers on the stern.  Yes, I used a measuring device to have the bow and stern numbers come out even.

post-1399-0-29159000-1408932862_thumb.jpg

O19 decal attached to the starboard side of the con.  Yes, it needs some dressing or doctoring.

post-1399-0-31862900-1408932878_thumb.jpg

O19 decal attached to the port side of the con.  Here too, some doctoring is necessary but I'll do some paint blending tests first over the errant color over some scrap decal pieces.  If that works out fine then I'll replace these here. 

Cheers,  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, sorry to hear the gray is too far off, I don't understand how this happened.   :angry: We had plenty of samples going back and forth before production began....

Instead of touching the out line up with ink you could try to lay one of the transparant decals with just the outline over it.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi Piet, She is looking Fabulous , amazing detail work , just incredible

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hoi Remco, yeah, the grey has a strange copper looking tint to it and would stand out like a sore thumb.  I'm actually not pleased with how I managed putting it on the con and am seriously contemplating on replacing the numbers.  

I also have no idea why the color is off that far.  When I received the decals they seemed to match.   But that's not the case now.  

I'm going to give it a rest for now and as I mentioned yesterday, do some playing with some of the waste pieces.  I still have one extra set of numbers though and IF I can manage painting very carefully around the black outlines I can then put the entire number on the con.  

Hi Pete, thank you very much my friend.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you all for dropping in and your likes, it's really encouraging.

Didn't do much today.  Just finishing up on one more torpedo, drilled the pilot holes for the railing posts and made a boat hook so I can close the deck launcher doors.

Still looking at the numbers on the con and thinking what I should do.  The starboard side is actually not too bad and can be worked with.  Let me try and use a new sharp pair of scissors and cut not that close to the black outline and see how that looks.  The decal material is so fragile.  

Let me do some testing first though.

I made a few pics of my new boat hook, hope yuns like it.

post-1399-0-56361600-1409016687_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-47424200-1409016697_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Beautiful work piet , the Carftsmanship and detail are amazing, Have you thought about fabricating metal parts for people ? I know that I would place an order . I have not seen better metal work on this site , you my friend are truly gifted

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Those small details just keep adding up and make this a spectacular project.  Beautifully done, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956