HMS Triton Cross Section by DocBlake - 1/24 scale

After completing my Battle Station model in 1/24 scale, I was anxious to do another project at that large scale.  An entire ship at 1/24 would require an addition to our house, so I settled on a cross section.  I have plans for the HMS Granado in 1/24, but decided to launch a Triton cross section instead.  As soon as I enlarged the keel plans to 200% I realized a potential problem.  The lines on the plans themselves are 1/32" wide at that size!  I'm going to have to be very careful in sizing parts for this build.

I started with a piece of boxwood , dimensioned it on my table saw and thickness sander and cut a shallow kerf on each side for the rabbet.  I enlarged the kerf to a "V" groove with wood carving tools and square edged sanding blocks.  I made the false keel out of rosewood, and the keelson out of swiss pear.  I've posted some photos of my progress.

I'm requesting access to the Triton download area so I can continue this build.

Dave

post-3900-0-36067300-1452876889_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-87360000-1452876932_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-28314400-1452876952_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-59526900-1452876977_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Triton shipyards and a lot of fun with your build

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I'm looking at options for a building jig for the cross section.  I came across this post:

"Scott:
Please have a look at this frame assembly jig I posted a while back. This will solve all the problems of assembly the frames and getting the pieces properly aligned. Please give this a try before you go much further. This is what I intended everyone to use.

The only change I made from that photo was to add a section of keel in the notch where the frame will fit. I cut that keel piece off an extra long section of off cut from my keel so I know that it will be the exact same cross section as the keel. This ensures the keel mortise in the frames will fit perfectly on the real keel every time.

Russ "

It comes from a moderator's repost of the log "Scottacus Triton" on page 1 of that reposted log:    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1454-scottacus-triton-repost-by-mod/   

Does the frame assembly jig mentioned, that was posted "a while back" still exist somewhere?  Does anyone have access to the jig plans?  My guess is that "Russ" could help me out, but I don't know who  he is!  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Dave

Edited by DocBlake

Dave,

Have a look here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/901-uwek-triton-build-re-post-by-mod/

Ewe describes the jig.  

There's a lot of different ways of jigging up the frames.   Almost as many as there are builders it seems.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

I'm restarting this build.  Mike Shanks and I have been planning on doing a joint projet:  POF "Hannah" in 1/24 scale...the whole ship.  Not sure about rigging yet.  I think the Triton cross section will be good practice for that build.  I cut out and surfaced the blanks of hard maple I'll use for the frames.  The maple is 3/8" thick, giving a final double frame thickness of 3/4".  The footprint of the cross section at this scale is huge:  9-7/8" X 14-1/2"!  The photo shows the plans for frame 2 compared to a midship's frame of "Fair American" at 1/48 scale.  I'm also planning a building jig.  The jig in the photo is one of the popular "2 level" jigs used for the cross section, but it takes into account that the plan view profile of the model is not a rectangle.  The bulwarks curve slightly.  The profile of the sides of the jig (marked by the arrows are clearly curved.  Does anyone have a good way to lay out this curve accurately?  There is no plan view of the framing in the plans.

Triton plans.jpg

maple blanks.jpg

jig.jpg

It's nice to see you back in your Triton shipyard

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hey howya goin Dave, coming along nicely there mate.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:16 AM, DocBlake said:

The footprint of the cross section at this scale is huge:  9-7/8" X 14-1/2"!  

I think you made a typo or a mistake with your calculations here Dave, as it doesn't seem possible for the footprint to have smaller dimensions than the beam.  Also based on the above picture, if that frame is only 14-1/2" across then you are a twig of a man with only an 11" or so wide torso! :)

Great fun watching this progress, it's going to be a really big cross section.

You are right Brian!  When I measured the footprint I measured between the top timbers.  The tumblehome gave the smaller measurement.  The beam is really 16-3/4".  It will be a big model!  The Admiral would probably not agree about me being a "twig". :D

I've glued up 5 of the 9 frames and I'm noticing some "tolerance creep".  When I enlarge the frame parts to 200%, the lines outlining the parts get some real thickness to them:  1/32" - 3/64").  This is especially a problem where the frames butt each other.  They need to be accurate or the frame doesn't match the plans, and things like gun port lintels and sills are thrown off.  I've already noticed some slight inconsistencies as I glue up the frames.  They are not matching 100% and on both sides of the frame. The errors are small...in the range of 1/32", but they are there.   Hopefully I can figure out a fix when the time comes.  Very thin shims will likely be the answer for any frame component too short at the top timbers, with trimming if they are slightly long.  This problem is a function of the large scale of the model (1/24).  Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I like transferring plans to CAD and then working from the drawings that result. This allows for easy checking of consistency on the plans as well as easy changing of the scale. But this habit made me highly aware of the problem you raise.

When working from the printed plans, I've seen that all builders have worked to the outside edge of the line, and this is what I do when tracing with CAD. The lines on the plans are (I seem to remember) about 0.3mm thick, which, at 1:48, means .59" or 14.9mm at full size -- so there's plenty of room for error creep if even larger scales are used. At 1:48 the errors are within a scalpel cut of each other, or a swipe of a file, so mostly not that noticeable.

As you say, though, there are lots of ways to fix the errors or just ignore them as they occur. It's been pointed out to me several times that a key question is whether you can see or notice the difference. If the errors are consistent, you might end up with a longer or shorter model than expected, but as long as you compensate and use the same amount of error for the other parts, then you just end up with a model with a slightly different scale to the one you expected.

I don't think that answers your question but at least you know someone else has grappled with the problem!

Tony

Dave,

What Tony said... it's a normal problem and just about every scratch model builder runs into the problem of tolerance build-up.  Back during the early days of this project, the rule was "cut thick and sand thin".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I wish I'd learned CAD!  Thanks, guys.  I think I can muddle through.  I'm not too worried about the thickness of the frames but rather the height of the top timbers where a little shimming may be needed before fitting the rails.

That is a huge cross section.

Looking forward to the detailing!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I finished gluing up the last of the 9 frames.  I used Weldbond so I'll give the most recently completed frames a couple of days to dry before rough handling.  The frames will require minimal trimming and shimming in a few spots to conform to the plans.  Once that's done, I'll rough sand the frames to match the plans and start to glue and dowel then to the keel. It took one week to enlarge the plans, glue up the individual futtock on to the billets, cut them out and glue them together.  I used double sided tape to hold the appropriate futtocks to the plans and glued the second layer to the first. taped down layer.  I put a piece of plywood weighted with big food cans to weight down the plywood until they dried.   The beer is to celebrate!  It's a Hofbrau Maibock.

tritonframes done1.jpg

tritonframes done2.jpg

Thanks, Pete!  The frames are rough, glued up after the parts were cut on the scroll saw.  No sanding yet!  I need to make a building jig next.   As I mentioned earlier, the top timbers do not form a rectangle in plan view but rather taper on slightly both for and aft.  Any tricks as to how to lay that out?

Second question:  Should the futtocks be fastened with treenails or historically more accurate simulated bolts?

As far as getting the taper, no trick that I know of just checking while sanding by eye.  The futtock...treenail or simulated bolts?  Comes down to how you want to do it yourself. Either way would look good and with yours being such a big scale the simulated bolts would look really nice, be much easier at this scale, but your choice.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

• 3 weeks later...

This model is being built in 1/24 scale:  a scale that introduces a lot of problems in terms of scaling.  For example, the layout lines for the parts and the profile views etc. are about 1/32" thick, leading to a lot of potential error especially in terms of room and space layout of the frames on the keel.  What I'm wondering is if anyone can help me out with some pointers on building the jig to construct the model.  How do I size the upper portion, with the cutouts for the frames, given that the frames are curved?  How do I account for the slight curvature of the frames moving aft in the plan view?  How do I keep consistent space bewtween fromes, given the thickness of the layout lines?

I'm almost thinking of not using the 2 tiered jig as many have employed. Instead, after screwing the keel/false keel assembly to the building board,  I'd set the first frame on the keel, use a standard precut spacer for the space between it and the second frame, then set the second frame.  Using the standard spacer again, I'd set the third frame and so on.  I would need to make a right angle jig to keep the frames square to the keel and their tops level, but I could avoid the upper tier of the jig.  What do you think?  Any advice or tips?  Thanks so much for any help you all can lend!

Dave,

Take a look at the build log of the Dunbrody by Mahuna in the scratch-build section.  He built a considerably larger cross section (in number of frames, not scale) and did not use a jig at all.