HMS Triton Cross Section by DocBlake - 1/24 scale

Thanks Brian!

The mortise in the frame in which the keel fits is really tight - there is absolutely no play in the frame to allow misalignment.  I also clamped the frame to the vertical brace and used 5 minute epoxy as glue.  The frame stayed dead on.

Good deal.  I just know that when you cinch down a screw that last little bit, it imparts a twisting force on the top piece of wood, and that would concern me!

I assume that even with the force, once you have multiple frames on and they are all braced to one another, none of them could really twist even if there was a bit of slop in the fit.

Carry on!  I'll keep watching.  :)

I temporarily screwed frames 4, 3 and two to the keel, adding spacers with a dab of hot glue.  I then marked the mortises for the gun port sills and lintels.  I will cut those off the model.  At this stage, the most aft of the section, you can see that the frames define a compound curve:  Tapering slightly inboard at the bulwarks as you proceed aft from frame #2, but remaining straight below the waterline to the keel.  The diagram (exaggerated) shows the pattern of the frames curving inboard at the bulwarks, moving aft, while they are still straight at the waterline and below.  Very well designed plans!

5thru2.JPG

curves.jpg