DocBlake

HMS Triton Cross Section by DocBlake - 1/24 scale

34 posts in this topic

Thanks, Brian.  I think I'm going to go with a building board and right angle jig for construction.  I cut my false keel way long, and the keel and keelson long, also.  I'll glue the false keel to the keel and this will give me plenty of room to screw the false keel into the building board to keep the component  in place.  When the build is done, the false keel gets cut off, freeing the model from the board.

I finished rough sanding the frames inboard and outboard.  There should be very little final fairing, and only smoothing to do once the frames are set...assuming the rebates for the keel and keelson are right on each frame! No pictures yet!

In looking at the full build Triton plans, I noticed there is a scarph in the keel between frame O and frame B.  The scarph is in the vertical plane and I plan to include it in the model.  In fixing it's location, I noticed that there is a discrepancy between the full build plans and the cross section plans.  In the cross section,  the frames  are labeled 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, A, B, and C.  The identical frames on the full build plans are labeled 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, A, B, C, and D.  Does anyone know why the discrepancy?

Canute and Nirvana like this

Dave,

That is the way I set my frames on cross section build, using spacers and a right angle frame. Works out great....Good Luck

Canute, DocBlake and Nirvana like this

Pete:  I looked at your build when I was first planning this project and filed away your building technique for future reference.  I just reviewed your whole log and I plan to approach the build just as you did.  Hopefully my results will be as good as yours!

Pete38, mtaylor, zoly99sask and 2 others like this

Historically, the futtocks would have been bolted together to produce the frames.  What would the correct diameter of the bolts be?  May best estimate from research I've done is somewhere between 1" and 1-1/2".  Any thoughts?  Also, would it make sense to mark the locations of the deck clamps and gunport sills etc. on the frames prior to glueup?

Nirvana, Canute, mtaylor and 2 others like this