Can't Find Thin Brass Strips

I recently bought one of those assorted brass strip packages - K&S. There was one 3/32x1/64 which I have mostly used up. I would like to get more but can not find it. There are a few .01x" thickness strips available but the narrowest is 1/4" wide - much wider then I want.

I'm still pretty new to the metal working side of this hobby so I don't know all the options. Is it reasonable to think that I can find sheets with the thickness I want and then cut strips that narrow? I don't really want to grind down 1/4" strips to 3/32". I also would like to avoid buying another assortment package - there is a lot of pieces in there I will never use.

Any other choices?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

you could try looking for machinist/mechanics brass shim stock also, goes down to a couple thousands in thickness. I bought a jewelers roll press years ago which has been handy for reducing stock thickness although you have to do a lot of annealing between passes with brass and copper.

Check out a model train store. The brand you are looking for is Detail Associates. They make strip (.015x.018 thru .015x.060, 5 sizes) and round stock (.006 > 1/16, 13 diameters).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Go to Specialshapes.com like George said.  That is where S&K gets there brass and then they repackage. 

Bob  

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks everyone - SpecialShapes has what I am looking for. I hope they don't mind a small order. What I need is under $10.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Just an FYI - SpecialShapes does have a $25 minimum order, but I was able to order some other brass pieces that "I really needed" ;)

• 6 years later...

Hello! An old thread I know, but I just registered here and this is exactly what I need to know too.

I checked the sites advised in this thread but I found Special Shapes has gone - its web domain is for sale - and the other suggestions either do not have these sizes or some of the links just do not open for me here in Canada.

A web search shows me that most places sell only 1/4" strip at the smallest, same for my local hobby store, yet I need both 3mm wide and 2mm wide at about 0.39mm thick. That's what the AL kit (Bluenose II) had originally and I was able to use the spare lengths of those pieces up to now, but now I have run out.

These seem to be about the same as the 3/32x1/64 that the original poster needed.

I did find these two sizes at a hobby site, by K & S but they say "out of stock" for both sizes. Strangely, I could not find these sizes on K &S's web site.

So where can I get these small sizes today?

Thanks.

Check the following sites. It is where I get narrow brass strips. I go to K&S Metal site and check the SKU number of what i need. Than you can either do a Google search with that number and manufacturer. Example: "Flat Bars Brass 2Pcs 1/64 x 3/32, sku 815021"

Or go to the below sites and compare prices. 

hobbylinc.com

onlinemetals.com

zoro.com

micromark.com

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Brass has become somewhat hard to find due to the virus and world situation.  Worse case is that you may have to buy stock larger than what you need/want and then cut it down to size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Byrnes or similar miniature table saws can be used to rip narrow brass strips.  A problem when ripping thin material occurs when the brass sheet slides under the rip fence.  This can be solved by gluing the brass material to a piece  of craft plywood.  I use Ambroid cement for this.  After sawing, the brass is easily peeled from the plywood.

Roger

Right, hobbylinc.com:  has both sizes listed but out of stock; I asked to be emailed when in stock.

onlinemetals.com:  only goes down to 1/4" wide and I have no way of cutting strip cleanly. All I can do is to bend a piece of strip back and forth until it breaks there, to get the right length for a part.

zoro.com:  no results on their search for brass flat bar or brass strip (or flat stock).

micromark.com:  they call it flat stock, but all too wide (most of their stock is to thick as well).

A sku search for K & S 1/64 x 3/32 gave a business called Gwartzman's.com which has it but their shipping makes it about $20 for a couple of dollars of material. Ouch.  Mind you the scarcity of this stuff (as mtaylor pointed out) suggests that I should just go ahead and order this. No sign of the 1/8" wide being in stock anywhere but at least the 3/32 will be a reasonable close-to-scale size for most bands I want to make.

The table saw looks really nice but I can't justify the cost right now.

Thanks again to all of you.

• 1 month later...

Well, I ended up getting K&S brass strip and rods from Great Hobbies.com.

I got 1/64 x 3/32 strips ( a bit thicker than I thought- I wanted similar strip to the AL Bluenose II kit, but it works- just harder to wrap around into bands etc.)

Also got .025" x 1/4 and .032 x 1/4- I made several parts from this, including some parts for the fore boom goose-neck joint.

Also got brass rod - .032" (0.81mm)  and  1mm.

So all those are in stock at Great Hobbies right now.

I now have finished my refit/upgrade of the AL Bluenose II kit. Made all the extra eye-bolts required and mast bands, jumbo boom articulated joint, fore boom joint and mast mounting bands, boom buffers and many rings. Now this kit is more like a real ship and feels satisfying. Ready for sails!

I purchase most of my K&S strips of brass and copper which are wider than 1/2" or get the 4" wide sheets. They are always in stock somewhere and reasonably priced. 

When I just need one or two thin and narrow strip of brass I dont use the tablesaw. Instead I cut it with a #2 Xacto blade. This is what I do.

I get a sheet which has the thickness I need for the project. 

Then I measure the width I need and do that several times just to make sure. I use a pencil and draw a line so I know the width. 

I clamp a metal ruler where the edge of the ruler is on the pencil line.

(I clamp everything to the edge of the table). 

I insert a new #2 Xacto blade in the holder, and press on the blade and slowly cut the metal from left to right and right to left. 

This process is slow going but it works and the thin strip does not curl. 

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 3 weeks later...