My Homemade Wood Lathe

Very Nice, low tech solution.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Bob and Michael.

I have been busy building some more tools while the site was down. I will post them later.

Ron

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hi Ron,

I really like your Lathe, it seems accessible to most of us.

If you don't mind us copying your version I'd like to have a go at building one- besides I have an old drill that would fit perfectly in there :) .

You wouldn't have a basic plan or even dimensions you would like to share with the group?

Kindest regards

John

"Without ships there is nothing"

John

I built the lathe around the drill. You can make it any size you would like. The plans were in my head as I went along. Just used old lumber that I found in the garage and some screws I had. Didn't cost me a thing to build. That's the good part, cheap and works.

Ron 

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

John

I built the lathe around the drill. You can make it any size you would like. The plans were in my head as I went along. Just used old lumber that I found in the garage and some screws I had. Didn't cost me a thing to build. That's the good part, cheap and works.

Ron 

Hi, Ron! The best way of construction of various adaptations! At first search of improvised materials is carried out, and then already there are ideas on their application. I too often arrive thus  :) .

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

• 6 months later...

Hi Ron,

I'm planning to make on DIY lathe too! Can I know what is the maximum RPM of your power tool?

I put the Proxxon lathe as a reference, and I've learned that its max RPM is 5000.. Anyway, SKIL hand drill which is in my buying list has max rpm at only 3000.. Do you think it's fast enough?

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

I think the only problem will be if the drill motor cxan handle being left on for a long period of time without overheating.

David B

The drill that I use is an old Sears variable speed drill. It's range is from 0 to 1200 rpm. Running at 3 amps. It's not very fast, but will do in a pinch. It is also hard to hold a square piece of wood in a three prong chuck. When it runs for a period of time it does get a bit hot. Higher speed, with a capability of controlling the speed, would be a better choice in my opinion. I made this when I was first starting out with ship modeling and saw some DIY lathes, so I decided to make one. There are a lot of better DIY lathes out there. I hope your DIY lathe project turns out the way that's best for you. 

Ron