Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Thanks for everyone's continued interest.

More pattern making is required to define the shape of the aft deck. I've modified the design of Prince Frederick's barge to suit this vessel. On this deck, furthest aft, will be a raised area for the steersman, but that cannot be defined yet. The aft deck with its scuttle needs to be made and installed first, as well as a thin panelled lining on the inner sides of the bulwarks.

post-635-0-34472600-1457218376_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for showing how you use these patterns Druxey...really helping me learn.

Your build is just staggering....I love that last shot showing all the framing against the planking patterns.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I'm really enjoying watching the progress of this wonderful build. I particularly like the precision and attention to detail, particularly with something so small, but also watching the problem-solving is a real education.

Steven

I am just astounded at the precision and such attractive lines of this build. Well done Druxey! I hope one day I will develop skills of this nature.

Again, thank you for the kind compliments. 'Precision' is merely taking sufficient time and care, plus accurate marking out. These come from experience; you know, the 10,000 hour thing.

The aft platform has been made, painted and installed. The next challenge is covering the compound curved surface above this platform up to the height of the topside.

post-635-0-80407600-1457313592_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Well, a start has been made on the inner sheathing of the bulwark. The compound curves involved make this an interesting exercise!

post-635-0-67536900-1457323335_thumb.jpg

The inner bulwark sheathing proved interesting. It took several pattern pieces to figure out the developed shapes of the planks. The first photo shows one plank being wet-bent into position. The card pattern for this is in the foreground, as well as patterns for the steersman's bench.

The second photo shows both inner sides complete and the vertical portion of the steersman's bench in position. The top of this has been made and painted. The same strategy as for the other horizontal surfaces was used to build it. The paint is in the process of drying and I'll install the top tomorrow.

There are several possible items I could now tackle, but I think that the risers (horizontal planks that support the ends of the thwarts) should be next.

post-635-0-47284800-1457404577_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-53573200-1457404579_thumb.jpg

Wonderfull display of craftsmanship, I can only imagine how challenging it is to get the shapes of the planks just right to get an excellent fit.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Really wonderful craftmanship. It's oustanding

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Further news from the shipyard. First the side strakes of footwaling were installed (there is probably a proper term for them, but I don't know what it is). They required a twist through almost 90 degrees along their length, achieved by steaming.

Next were the risings. I misspelled the name as 'risers' earlier - sorry. The risings were cut after a card pattern established their shape and the pair were made while rubber cemented together, ensuring symmetry. The height of each below the gunwale was marked out at various points along the hull and the risings glued in. Note that paint was scraped off where the thwarts will attach.

Next will be the footboards for the rowing crew.

post-635-0-07089800-1457572955_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-02019200-1457572957_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-17895400-1457572959_thumb.jpg

Hi druxey

Finest art, thank you for showing this!

Best regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

10000 hrs? Yes, I have heard that too. Means I only have like, what... 8000 more to go...

Splendid work, Druxey.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Druxey I want to use the term exquisite.... but it just doesn't seem adequate somehow, I just sit and shake my head and smile mouthing the word Wow.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very inspiring.  I still cant get over how small the model is and how much detail you are managing to put in there.  Well done.

What a beautiful model.  The :Like: button is not enough.

Maury

Again, my appreciation for the complimentary remarks you have posted on this model.

The footboards for the rowers are more complicated than one might think. They are moveable - for long and short-legged crew - and have battens that hold them in place. For six thwarts there are a total of 48 battens to be cut and fitted. There are no two pairs alike. No wonder this detail is omitted from nearly every model!

If you look carefully, you will see a rejected batten showing the joints that need to be cut at each end. It will be a while until all six sets are completed....

post-635-0-95360300-1457733554_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-90523700-1457733556_thumb.jpg

There are no two pairs alike.

Well.... you didn't take this little gem on to be a cakewalk did you?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have been on holiday and only just found your wonderful build Druxey; add me to the list of enthusiastic followers.  A great subject for a model also.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Druxey,

can you please make a foto with a penny or cent, that we can see how small your model is? It's absolut fantastic

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali