Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

So much for finishing up furniture designs tonight! I just used up the last couple hours reviewing this build.

Druxey,

This is mind boggling to see such clean detail at such a diminutive scale. You are a master artisan. You've changed my perspective on my approach to every detail. So much to be learned here.

Best Regards,

Bill 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Druxey,

In my experience metallic paint is always difficult (i.e. disappointing).  To simulate brass and gold or silver braid or buttons on military miniatures I worked through a lot of different materials.  In the end the best result came using metal powder purchased from an art dealer mixed with a binder just before use.  Oil based binders, however, darken with age as I am sure you know.  There are now some acrylic products sold for miniatures painting that do not yellow that work fairly well.  I believe Liquitex sells a gold acrylic.  Miniatures paint from a company called Vallejo is about the same.

Good Luck.

Ed

Thanks for the tips and support, everyone. It is much appreciated. I will be experimenting with different 'gilt' finishes over the next few days.

The first photograph shows the ends finished in gold paint. This was unacceptable, as previously mentioned.

The second picture shows the inner side of one end piece and the other stripped of finish. There is a channel running across the lights between the layers which will enable me to slide the frames for the lights and glazing in after I finish the outer sides.

The third photograph shows the ends of the coach temporarily in place. After the seating is in place the ends will be permanently installed and the sides constructed to a sliding fit.

Next be to constructed will be the seating inside the coach.

post-635-0-13038300-1459437150_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-90332200-1459437151_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-63199900-1459437154_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey,

What your achieving here is very impressive mate, I know its late but mind if I tag along.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Another fine update Druxey; a very interesting log and great build.  As a matter of curiosity, you mention using acetone to remove the gold finish - how do you get it off, especially out of the crevices, without damaging the detail or the wood itself?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Some progress while I wait for various 'gilding' materials to arrive. The coach benches are made and installed. For the moment the forward and aft coach bulkheads are temporarily slotted into position and still removable.

The plan of the coach indicates a locker lid aft. The benches were cushioned for the benefit of the Lord Commissioners' backsides, so these are next. I'll model them based on the ones seen in Prince Frederick's barge

post-635-0-81143900-1459517928_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-65307700-1459517931_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

looking fantastic Druxey, lovely work

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

And here are the seat cushions. They were carved from some pear stock 3" thick. The piping along the edges was some fine line left over from another model. It was applied using acrylic matt medium. Had I used white glue, it would have dissolved when I painted the cushions with acrylic paint. I may deepen their color.

Experiments with 'gold' are beginning to yield promising results. More soon.

post-635-0-08242300-1459549433_thumb.jpg

Ah... carved cushions.   Cool.  I had visions of some very small stitchery and down stuffing.  ;)  :D

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What... Not stuffing them for the authentic amount of bounce?? Call yourself a model maker??? :-p

Edited by Phill Elston

common guys

they had it harder back then... literally    :D 

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Horsehair filled...or straw. 

Finally have solved the gilding issue. After some experimentation I am using Golden artist color brand acrylic tube paint. It is called Iridescent Gold (fine). The particles are much finer than in other brands I've tried. Photographing this is difficult, but the photos give some idea of the result. Keen eyes will notice I've repainted the blue strake a dark green-black, referred to as merde d'oie. (If you don't know French, look this up!)

post-635-0-92523800-1459604176_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-46141300-1459604179_thumb.jpg

Edited by druxey

Looks fabulous.  Translates well too.

Maury

The gold looks like a metallic lacquer to me, but that will certainly be the photograph. The other colour ... I would expect some white-ish streaks in it ... with reference to the name

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ah... carved cushions.   Cool.  I had visions of some very small stitchery and down stuffing.  ;)  :D

What... Not stuffing them for the authentic amount of bounce?? Call yourself a model maker??? :-p

I suspect druxey had trouble finding 1:48 scale geese.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I suspect druxey had trouble finding 1:48 scale geese.

Bob

Humming Bird feathers?

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Was watching John Wayne The Shootist the other night.  He had a red cushion with gold tassels he 'stole from a cathouse'.  ???  Nothing about geese, although perhaps a reference to 'Winchester Geese' is in order.

When druxey finishes up with those cushions, you'll swear you can feel the fur on the velvet cover.

Hi druxey

Great built, and getting even better!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thanks again for all of you who are dropping in on this log.

Further progress sees the completion of the gunwale and its extension aft as a moulding. The aft section of gunwale is 1½" thick, rather than ¾". You can see the step up forward of the cabin area. The moulding section was wet-formed on the plug (lowest photo), then painted and applied to the model. It has a C-curve in one plane and an S-curve in the other.

It was necessary to complete the gunwale before proceeding with the coach sides. I'm now cutting and fitting card pattern pieces for the coach sides.

post-635-0-42682700-1459707065_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-38193500-1459707067_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-10253900-1459707069_thumb.jpg

Great idea using the plug to form the shape, I would have been trying to do it on the actual hull, one to remember

Lovely work druxey!!!!!!!!

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Beautiful work, as always. Just a quick question from far earlier in the build. What's the purpose of the gesso on the plug? I can understand the beeswax, to stop adherance, but what is the gesso for?

What a nice gem :-)

Love it, Daniel

Gorgeous work. Really nice colors along the gunwales. :) 

And I can see why the French called the cushion color what they did. Spot on match for what I saw every day on my horse farm. :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild