Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Alan G: The original timber used was probably larch. A Royal barge draught of 1823 (ZAZ7154) has the notation "To be built of Larch, or other light and durable wood."

And yes, I've used trompe l'oeil techniques before, both on baseboards as well as theatrical and film furniture and sets. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Absolutely wonderful.  I prefer the new color scheme as well.  Are you planning on leaving the gold bright or are you going to tone it down?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

And yes, I've used trompe l'oeil techniques before, both on baseboards as well as theatrical and film furniture and sets.

That explains a lot, Druxey

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great idea using the plug to form the shape, I would have been trying to do it on the actual hull, one to remember

Lovely work druxey!!!!!!!!

Yes, me too.  She's beautiful.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

The first of the two coach sides is now in the process of being constructed. These are built up in the same way as the fore and aft ends of the coach. As there is a slight curve to the sides, allowance is made for some flex between each of the three lights.

Toni: to answer your question, I'm delaying a final judgement on the degree of reflectivity of the gold until the model nears completion. Also, the photographs don't really give the effect of the actual appearance to the eye.

post-635-0-29915600-1459822188_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-57187800-1459822191_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Lovely, lovely work, Druxey.  

For some reason, I do not use rubber bands, perhaps because the box I had was so old that they broke whenever I stretched them.  I have forgotten how useful they can be.  Thanks for the reminder.

Photography is often too discerning of our errors and unrepresentative of the actual visual effect, especially on reflective surfaces, but what would we do without it?

Larch was a commonly used wood on American ships.  The shipyard name for this here was hackmatack, more properly tamarack, the same as European larch - about 75% the strength of white oak.  Thank you, Bill C.

Ed

Thanks once more for the likes and comments, everyone.

I had to re-do the side of the coach. I found that I had cut the lights to the wrong depth. In addition, the lights were uneven in width. So, a second round.

When dealing with tiny pieces, I've found it easiest to leave them over-length to glue them on (top photo). I then use a chisel to cut the pieces to exact length. The top and bottom pieces of the panel frame were cut a little overlength, then sanded using a sanding stick to trim them to exact dimension (second photo). 

The inner side of the piece has had card strips glued on to leave channels for the glazing (third photo). In this case I shall be using mica. This is a naturally occurring mineral that is fairly transparent. It can be peeled into very thin layers and cuts easily. The pieces will be slid into place from above before the roof is installed. The cutaway at the bottom of the side is because the hull curves inward here and this allows for the changing interior contour.

The last photo shows the work to this point. Next will be the inside panelling and the other side piece.

post-635-0-10189800-1459907290_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-52255000-1459907292_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-96298600-1459907294_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-95052000-1459907297_thumb.jpg

Where does one find those extra-extra large quarters?   ;)   That is some seriously beautiful work and those pieces are tiny.   :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for sharing that link Alan,

a beautiful row-barge.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi druxey

Just stunning! Wish I had that skills.................

Regards

Gerhard, who must even learn a lot!

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Oh boy! Hey fellas, over here! Come and see! Druxey had a re-do!!!

Seriously though Druxey, it's very re-assuring to know that even the Demi-gods have re-dos. :)

Outstanding work all round, Sir.

post-1091-0-50049500-1459969473_thumb.jpg

Druxey,

How did you miss the lower panels on the first set of  sides?

I think the rebuild looks much nicer and very professional 

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Learner: I didn't miss the panels: I simply took the photos while the sides were in the process of being built up!

Grant: Yes, it's true. Even professionals have to re-do things. Errare humanum est and all that.

Thanks for looking in, everyone.

Lovely work Druxey, as always.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Thanks for dropping by, everyone.

The outer sides of the coach have been completed and gilded. The coach is only test-fitted together at present. I'm now in the process of panelling the inner sides and refining the fit of the corners of the coach. The latter needs particular care: take too much material off a corner and....

The door hardware has been added. The door knobs are of brass wire whose ends have been melted. If done correctly, the ends of the wire will form a small spherical ball. The 'bronze' hinges are pieces of bamboo treenail and paper, acrylic painted.

post-635-0-12548300-1460057047_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work again druxey, any chance of a little "how to" on the hinges

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Incredible work as usual druxey. It looks like your getting close! I liked your idea about the mica and may use it on my build. I have some large pieces in my shop but never thought about using it for a model. Split thin enough, it is clear as glass. Great idea!

Glenn

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Thanks, gentlemen.

Joel: The access scuttle was, I believe, for bailing. There were lockers beneath the coach seating. 

Glenn: Mica was traditionally used on many contemporary models so, nothing new under the sun!

Paul: The hinges are simple to make. Cut a strip of paper whose width is the height of the hinge leaf. Lay it down on a flat surface and place a length of 'pin' of suitable diameter across it at right angles. Glue the strip for a little way on one side of the 'pin' and fold over. Press the paper strip snugly against the pin. Let this dry. Paint the assembly a suitable color. Trim the pin and leaves to length and install.

Beautiful work again druxey, any chance of a little "how to" on the hinges

Hi Paul

Alternative you can also make working hinges

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/?p=393467

with a little bit of soldering

Hello druxey

Perfect work, incredible, that is done in such shotr time!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

And... the coach sides and ends have been completed, the 'glass' installed and the four sides permanently assembled. After some fien adjustment, the corners came together quite nicely. For the statisticians among us, there were 53 separate parts required just for the outer surfaces of one coach side alone! Next, the coach roof.

post-635-0-67485400-1460139682_thumb.jpg

thanks Druxey, looking awesome again, where does one get "mica"

cheers Gerhard for the link, I made working hinges on my lower hatches like yours but I think druxeys will be more in keeping for the doors on the upper deck around the captains cabin area

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

thanks Druxey, looking awesome again, where does one get "mica"

cheers Gerhard for the link, I made working hinges on my lower hatches like yours but I think druxeys will be more in keeping for the doors on the upper deck around the captains cabin area

Try 'isinglass mica'.  It was used before glass was available in large sheets, also for carriage windows and stoves.