Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

That is a work of art.   Thanks for letting us follow along on this.  It's been an education.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congrats to that lovely built barge Druxey,

a very beautiful model...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Druxey,

What's left unsaid ... I can't think about anything to be honest ... It has been a very educational and inspiring masterclass ... not just the building steps, but the details like painting the burr wood, the carvings, and the dolphins too. Time flew, and I couldn't wait for updates ... I'll be missing those

Thank you

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments, compliments and questions. Your interest certainly spurred me on and the model was completed sooner than expected. What's next? When I have the time, another open boat, this time a Royal barge. In the meantime, I'm working on restoration of several yacht models and both writing and illustrating a book on modelling open boats. Part of the book will be an amplified version of this build log. It aims to cover both clinker and carvel construction.

Joel: what keeps the oars up? Invisible oarsmen. Seriously, the sweeps are glued in position in the tholes and on the gunwale.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks, Sir.  I was afraid you were going to say the oars were held in place by smoke and mirrors.  Invisible oarsmen I can understand.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Hi Druxey;

I'm with everyone else on this.  A fine inspiration to all,  and a very informative,  instructive and pleasure-to-read build log,  with a lovely model at the end of the trail!

All the best,  and many thanks for taking the trouble to share this.

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good Afternoon Druxey. Well Sir you certainly raised the bar for us all, I am just wondering though.... how are the standards raised? internal halliards?

A stunning looking model all round, you are tempting me to try something small.

Regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Lovely work Druxey. and I can't believe how quickly you finished it (her?).

:cheers) Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Stunning.  The contrasting colors of the standards bring it all together.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Druxey,

You have proven that one need not build a 36, 74, or ship of the line to wind up with an impressive piece of art.   Sometimes smaller is better in that it is indeed possible to wind up with a beautiful model in months versus years.  

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

'Positively final farewell appearance!' So the old theatre posters read. And this is true for the Greenwich Hospital barge. The sub-base has been made and finished, and so is this log. My profound thanks to all who looked in, 'liked' and commented. You are a great world-wide network of craftspeople with whom I am proud to be associated. Happy model-making!

Serious enquiries of interest only for acquiring this model are invited.

post-635-0-43369500-1463355411_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-88948300-1463355414_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-26531000-1463355417_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have learned quite a bit from your build.  I would to see your model at Manitowoc.  I think that it well. Modelers Choice or Best of Show.  Well done.

David B

Hi druxey

JUST PERFECT!

No more to say about this..............

Thank you for showing that progress again!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

• 1 month later...

Postscript:

Since the last posting there have been revisions! The sweeps were discovered to be sized for a single-banked boat not, as in this case, for a double-banked one. So, a new set of 12 sweeps have been made, 15' 0" as opposed to 19' 0". I also took this opportunity to paint the dolphins on one side the correct way up! Now, at the risk of incurring the wrath of the moderators, I'd like to mention that the full story, along with various techniques of making small open boats will appear in a full-color book shortly. Stay tuned!

Again, my thanks to all who contributed to this log. You helped to make a better model.

post-635-0-28912000-1467405538_thumb.jpg

Druxey,

I don't know why you'd incur moderator wrath.  It's a beautiful boat and the techniques that I'm sure you'll give will help any and all of us.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)