• 2 weeks later...

I inherited an old pantograph from my grandfather (circa 1925) that is made from boxwood. I used it once in awhile to enlarge or reduce ship model drawings. Unfortunately there are a lot of screw holes down the center of the beams that would really limit the width of wood to be salvaged. On the other hand, the arms are almost three feet long, so long narrow pieces could be ripped from them. 

Since I usually work at 1:96 scale I can fashion lots of masts, spars and decking from them.  Come to think of it, it's really hard to find such well seasoned straight lumber so perhaps they could used to convert the plastic masts and spars for my 1:87 scale Wanderer to wood.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On 11/14/2023 at 3:49 PM, Huw Crompton said:

Hi model boat builders, I supply musical instrument grade boxwood around the world and make up model building packs of marquetry strips for inserts and tool making, these are by-product from music, 3kgs at a time say commonly bespoke orders. Huw Crompton in England huwcrompton@aol.com

Hi Huw - I sent you a message a couple of weeks ago but not heard anything back?

This is what I bought from dictum.com a couple of years ago: www.dictum.com/de/europaeische-hoelzer-caa ;www.dictum.com/de/europaeische-hoelzer-caa/buchsbaum-sortiment-4-5-kg-520038

Present price offer: 54.00 € for 4.5 kg incl. VAT

assortment of European Boxwood ; Buchsbaum-Sortiment, 4,5 kg.

The rectangular piecves are like pen blanks and the wood chunks are not in the right dimensions for very large (long) parts as one-piece, but to make e.g. carved decorations for scale 1:48 or 1:50 it's fully ok.

I do not know about shipment cost to the USA

best regards

Joachim

image.jpeg.a8b226f60129051877a69d9947ddfc64.jpeg

On 11/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, Huw Crompton said:

Hi model boat builders, I supply musical instrument grade boxwood around the world and make up model building packs of marquetry strips for inserts and tool making, these are by-product from music, 3kgs at a time say commonly bespoke orders. Huw Crompton in England huwcrompton@aol.com

Huw

Is your post an offer to sell your boxwood?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

10 minutes ago, grsjax said:

Hawthorn seems to be a fairly common tree in the Northwest. 

I believe that August Crabtree started his project while living in Oregon or Washington - he called it fire thorn.

That it is common there would explain his using it.

Here, fire thorn is a hedge - foundation plating - it is in the rose family and is plenty hard, but it only gets to stick diameter. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

There are seven species of hawthorn in the northwest (Oregon):

https://oregonflora.org/taxa/search.php?search=hawthorn

English hawthorn is the most common - it is a nuisance weed. It has pretty flowers in the spring and lots of red berries in the fall - that the birds spread everywhere. I don't know if the wood is any good for modeling, but there is one in my neighbor's yard that I would happily cut down to see.

None of the seven hawthorns is known as "fire thorn," at least today by modern botanists. Common names are not reliable. They are often applied to several different species. Apparently "firethorn" is a totally unrelated species to hawthorns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

We have these here also, and they too are a nuisance weed.

19 minutes ago, Dr PR said:

there is one in my neighbor's yard that I would happily cut down to see

So far, I have found that the wood of closely related species has many if not most of the characteristics that we desire in the species on our list.

The color will probably be different, but the basic structure seems to hold.

If carving is of interest or perhaps bitts, catheads, belfry, etc.  It would probably be worth investigation.  

I am guessing that your neighbor wants to keep it and you would rather the situation was otherwise.

If you can get at it - all together now:  debark, seal the cut ends, and sticker - out of the weather😉.

Yup, I was discussing Pyracantha - the name was in deep memory and did not come in readily- painful to prune.  I had an even worse small thorny bush - the numerous thorns had a constriction just behind the tip, so that it would break off and stay in skin - really sharp so it went deep with little force. No wood with that one. Too small. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 5:22 PM, No Idea said:

Hi Huw - I sent you a message a couple of weeks ago but not heard anything back?

On 11/30/2023 at 7:59 PM, allanyed said:

Huw

Is your post an offer to sell your boxwood?

Allan

Maybe this link will help close that circle. Seems like this is where it originated

https://ebts.org/uk/2021/the-best-english-boxwood-is-to-be-found-in-wales/

Edited by Toolmaker

On 11/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, No Idea said:

Did you used the email addy in his post or the MSW Message system?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)